JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so im between 2 rifles the bergara crest in 7mmPRC and the tikka lite veil in 308( cause they don't make 7mmPRC).
im going to be hunting elk, deer ,and maybe bear and seeing if people have these or know more about them to help decide what to go for

lighter weight (i have the bergara HMR B14 now so anything is lighter than that)
threaded barrel
rust free or less chance of it
accuracy
smoothness
just a all around good rifle to carry in the backcountry

You can't go wrong with a Tikka but I would buy the caliber I wanted. My Tikka T-3 Ultralite in 6.5Cm is accurate as all get out and very light to carry. But is a little to light in the grain dept for elk for me. It will do the job but I carry a 300 WSM when I'm elk hunting.

I think the Tikka is the best bang for the buck in a factory hunting rifle. You rarely hear about a Tikka that doesn't shoot or has an issue. Their actions are one of the smoothest factory actions available and come with an excellent trigger that is easily adjustable if you want. Own three Tikka's and they are all shotters and great rifles. I have heard good things about the Bergara's but only have trigger time with one in 6.5 creedmoor and it was a hammer. The big appeal for me about the Bergara is that it opens up the Remington 700 aftermarket accessories. Though the aftermarket for Tikka's has exploded in the last 5 years and there is a bunch of aftermarket goodies driven by their use in the competition world.

You could certainly take elk with 308win but that caliber wouldn't be my first choice. If you decide on the Tikka Lite Veil, looking at the available calibers in that configuration I would personally go with the 300WSM. The 300WSM is an impressive cartridge that has developed an excellent following with good ammo options.

Or if you wanted to dump more money into it: https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/product/tikka-t3-t3x-7mm-prc-ss-prefit-barrel/ (I'm sure there are also other sources available too).

I have 2 Tikka T3's and they are both great rifles. I don't think you could go wrong with the Tikka choice. I have only shot the Bergara of a friend in 300 WM and it shot pretty well but it was a heavy rifle (so probably the same model as your current one). I've also heard good things about Bergara so both would likely be great choices. Definitely agree @ORhutner that the Bergara will definitely have more aftermarket support being a Rem 700 clone. Looking at Bergara website on the Crest it looks like a great rifle but it doesn't list the 7mm PRC as an available cartride choice.

Edit: The Bergara holds 5 rounds vs. 3 in the Tikka (but you can get larger capacity mags). And if weight is an issue, the Tikka Alpine model is listed at ~0.8 pounds lighter in the 300 WSM model than the magnum Bergara.

Last Edited:
You understand the 7mm PRC and .308 Winchester are worlds apart in ballistics, right?

If you want a Tikka that's the true ballistic sister of the 7-PRC, look at a 7mm Rem Mag.

My big game rifle is a Tikka T3x Ultralight in .30-06 set in a Manners stock and Trijicon 30-9x40. Drops everything dead and is not a complete PITA to lug around.

You understand the 7mm PRC and .308 Winchester are worlds apart in ballistics, right?

If you want a Tikka that's the true ballistic sister of the 7-PRC, look at a 7mm Rem Mag.

My big game rifle is a Tikka T3x Ultralight in .30-06 set in a Manners stock and Trijicon 30-9x40. Drops everything dead and is not a complete PITA to lug around.
yes i do but the tikka only comes with certain ones and 308 is the one i like most, im wanting to get into that 7mm PRC the ballistics on it is awesome

You cant compare the two calibers. First pick the caliber then the gun.

Its like comparing a Ford Ranger and a Dodge 3500. Do you want the toy truck or the real truck. Then decide which brand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top