JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A day of fun for friends and family! Come out and learn about the USFS/NWFA Target Shooter Information Program, enjoy a Barbeque Lunch, try to hit a target or two and take home a couple freebee goodies!

Sat, Aug 1st, 2015, 10 am to 2 pm. (BBQ from 12 -1 pm, at the booth, for members & guests).

Mt Hood National Forest, Hwy 224 at Pit 36, just past Memaloose Rd.
Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/ANND0
GPS Concordance: 45°11'47.5"N 122°10'46.6"W

We are looking to recruit volunteers for staffing the information booth. This program is designed to help save our forest from shooting closures and stop the trash at shooting locations. We have a great working partnership with USFS Mt Hood National Forest who really have high hopes of this program being effective. They have gone out of their way to help us get this program designed, supplied and implemented. It's time we step up to the plate and provide our volunteer service to make it happen.

Ed Guinn, NWFA Volunteer Booth Staff Team said...
"When talking to the many people who stopped by, common threads developed that seemed to unite everyone: a love of the activity and the area, the importance of education, and encouragement to "do the right thing".

Maybe most memorable, and important, was the fact that folks gained the awareness that they were no longer alone; organizations were now united to make a positive difference."

ZigZagZeek, NWFA Volunteer Booth Staff Team said...
"I hope you'll be able to find some time to participate in this program. It's worthwhile. It's good public relations both ways. The public sees the USFS as a partner and helper, and the USFS gets to see that there are concerned, responsible members of the shooting public that want to do things right. It should give our voices a little more weight when coordinating multiple uses of the forest is considered."

Trash and trees being shot up in the forest is a serious problem that needs our immediate attention. This information program could be the best thing that's ever been done so far. It could be very effective but we need to do more of it. It is awareness through education and information, one-on-one with gun owners.

It's time to ramp up our efforts and start making an impact.

The booth is set up at the 36 Pit parking area. It's a short range pit that is best for handgun shooting. Easy walk to/from the booth to the pit. If you plan on shooting, bring some legal targets. We will also have some paper targets and cardboard boxes to hand out. It's not an organized shooting event, but if you're planning on doing some target shooting, just simply pick an area, set up your targets and 'Fire at Will' (poor Will). Obviously, be safe, be aware and shoot at your own risk. Don't forget your fire safety equipment, such as, shovel, axe and at least 1 gallon of water or 2.5# fire extinguisher.

Hang around for a free lunch! We'll be barbecuing some hot dogs and hamburgers from 12 to 1 pm. Family and friends are welcome!

Our hope is that you will see this program as real value to us, as gun owners, real value to the natural resources in our forest and real value to our rights to shoot on public land. We need your help to make this program more effective!

Please bring, at least, an extra gallon (or two) of water! Save your used milk jugs and fill them with tap water (we will label them with a Sharpie; "Not for drinking" or "Fire Water"). Drop it off at the booth. We will hand them out to shooters who forgot to bring their fire safety gear. This will be a good way to communicate the fire dangers and encourage them to come better prepared next time. Thank you!

More info on the booth program can be found in the Volunteer Section... https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...fa-target-shooter-information-program.193318/

Rules for Target Shooting on Mt Hood National Forest can be found here... https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/target-shooting-in-mt-hood-national-forest.188932/

See you in the Hood!

Cogs and the Target Shooter Information Program Leaders Group.

Last Edited:
Cabela's chipped in a few free handouts! I'll know what they are when I pick them up next week. They value what we are working on in the woods and hope to encourage others to join in!

HA! Our Info booth leaders group, currently behind the scenes in private conversation, are cooking up plans and organizing a real nice barbeque. We'll have a couple extra canopies set up for shade areas. Cold water will also be available.

If you get too hot, the Clackamas River is just across the street!

Hope to see you there!

Joe Link's continued commitment to his vision connects us in a 'virtual' world, and has given birth to an idea that encourages us to get out and meet each other in the 'real' world.

As volunteer coordinator, Cogs has taken the concept forward with dedication and tenacity. Together with rangerlars (our USFS contact), and others, the TSIP booth has become a unique and valuable point of contact with the public.

Since it was launched earlier this year, gun owners, the shooting community, and 2A rights supporters have had a vehicle to create awareness and safety for all recreational users.

The positive message this sends is just what we need, as responsible firearms enthusiasts, to counter the negative images of guns, and gun owners that blanket media currently.

It's not just for target shooters and not just about firearm safety and ethical behaviors.

The information we provide includes education about important precautions and techniques for everyone, in order to prevent accidental wild land fires.

This educational outreach effort has caught the attention of some important people, and has the potential to grow and even expand to other public lands in other states.

On Wed. July 29th we did a significant and well received special presentation of a full booth set up to congressional staff, local government officials and representatives of a number of USFS departments.

I'm glad to be able help get this program off the ground, and want to see booths every weekend everywhere!

To make that happen we need many more people who are willing to donate time to the effort.

The chance to DO something is here - please make the choice to join us on the front lines.

Don't know about you, but I want to do all I can to protect our rights to recreate on public lands freely.

I'm proud to associate myself with other like minded folks that I met right here on this site, and I'd like to encourage others to join in the fun!

Thanks again fellas - ya done good!

Cabela's chipped in a few free handouts! I'll know what they are when I pick them up next week. They value what we are working on in the woods and hope to encourage others to join in!
Wow! Sportsman's Warehouse has come through for us again in a big way.

The Clackamas store has donated a lot of great merchandise for us to give to members who attend this event, in addition to other fun things Cogs has planned.

:rolleyes:There will be enough goodies that everyone will get something to take home, in addition to the valuable TSIP information pkg. "Deluxe" packages are available to the first 12 who commit to volunteering at the TSIP booth.

Maybe more importantly, we've been liked on their facebook page with an announcement of our event, and a link to NWFA's website about it, with comments.:D

They are a strong partner in this visionary project and are just as hopeful it gains traction as we are.

Thanks Matt and Ashley!

TSIP Sportsman's Warehouse 005.JPG

Thanks to all who are making this possible. Unfortunately, I will be at work, but I love to see our members making a difference in the community. Keep up the good work, and I will hope to make the next event.

It was a warm day but we had a great time! Really good BBQ, Dbltap! Thank you!

Looks like we have some new help for the booth! While we are still needing lots of volunteer help, this is going to relieve some of the load. Thanks to the new folks! Welcome aboard!

Had a few shooters stop by but it was way short of what a typical day would be. Only 3 members from NWFA came out to see and learn about the booth. They made out like bandits with free stuff from Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse! We also enjoyed too much food! But it was sooooo goooooood!

All of us had a really good time and now share a better respect for each other. It was a good day indeed!
P1070945.JPG

P1070944.JPG

It was a warm day but we had a great time! Really good BBQ, Dbltap! Thank you!

Looks like we have some new help for the booth! While we are still needing lots of volunteer help, this is going to relieve some of the load. Thanks to the new folks! Welcome aboard!

Had a few shooters stop by but it was way short of what a typical day would be. Only 3 members from NWFA came out to see and learn about the booth. They made out like bandits with free stuff from Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse! We also enjoyed too much food! But it was sooooo goooooood!

All of us had a really good time and now share a better respect for each other. It was a good day indeed!
View attachment 250386

View attachment 250387
It was a slow day at the pit for sure, but we still met quite a few real nice people that stopped to get information, and were happy that we were doing what we were doing.
NWFA gained an enthusiastic new member too:
Welcome bookem!

It was great to meet and get to know new participants in the booth program.
Thanks Dbltap, Sigmund Sour and Kd7vdb!

Thanks, as always, to rangerlars and Cogs for their dedication and commitment!
Thanks too; supporting merchants in this partnership!

Here's 3 more pix from the event:
Loookin' goood - visiting - and chowin' on Dbltap's awesome 'Q. (Notice the fire extinguisher!)
Good Times!

atsip 003.JPG

atsip 004.JPG

atsip 005.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show