JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at my local gun store inquiring about a Henry Big Boy 44 Mag with a brass receiver & the owner stated: don't purchase a Henry with brass if you plan on shooting alot, it won't hold up to a pounding. Which is what I plan on doing. Is there any truth that a brass receiver won't hold up to alot of heavy shooting of mag. loads? I would love to hear from any Henry owners or people with brass receiver lever actions. Also any 44Mag. lever action recommendations would be appericated.

Thxs. Rick C.

I think being that they have been building rifles since the 1850s they would be up with the modern loads. But, I understand where you are going with brass being a soft metal. I woulden't think twice about shooting 44 mag loads from a Henry rifle.:s0155:

I think being that they have been building rifles since the 1850s they would be up with the modern loads. But, I understand where you are going with brass being a soft metal. I woulden't think twice about shooting 44 mag loads from a Henry rifle.:s0155:

If I may: "Henry" of today is in no way affiliated or even resembles (mechanically) a Henry rifle from the 19th century. "Brass" is not correct when referring to the material used to produce the nice bright yellow receivers. On the original Henrys (and Winchester 66's), the material is actually called "gunmetal" (an alloy), and is markedly stronger than brass. The original Henrys and '66's "weakness" is not primarily related to the alloy in the receivers, but rather inherent in the toggle-link system for lockup. The new Henrys are an entirely different action, and this good company would be happy to answer any questions regarding the alloy used for their receivers, and their action strength (undoubtedly stronger than the "yellowboys" of historical fame).

If I were now looking to consider buying a .44 Magnum levergun, I would purchase a good Marlin (as I did). Lends itself to scope mounting quite easily, and a VERY strong action that will digest any load in the books for as long as you care to pull the trigger.

Thxs. for the info, billdeserthills referenced Henry artical stated pretty much the same thing, about a fancy alloyed being used now. I checked into Marlin, but could not locate a 44Mag. w/a 20" octigon barrel any where. I want to buy American, so looks like it's a Herny for me, plus I really like the look of the Henry Big Boy.

I did see the Marlin Cowboy 44 Mag. but could not locate a Dealer that had one in stock. Thxs. to the feedback on this forum I ordered a Henry Big Boy 44 Mag. today. Next gun a Marlin will be high on my list. Thxs. to everone on the forum for the helpful imput!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top