JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today I installed the forward set kit and what a piece of crap that was!! The sear geometry wasn't right. The area that makes contact with the striker was rounded at the tip instead of being sharp like the factory sear. So when the slide was racked it would release the striker. Dead trigger, light primer strikes,.. complete garbage. From the way the trigger connects to the transfer bar to the sear. Total junk, horribly engineered.. no .. Criminally engineered.

So I took all the apex parts out and reinstalled the factory parts and now magically it works. Anyone else have an installation nightmare they'd like to share? Here's a video of the designer basically telling you in a roundabout way it's a poorly engineered waste of money:

If you buy from opticsplanet they have a $15 - $20 restocking fee for returns.. The apex reset assist works but there's a strange double reset. The little click of the factory false reset followed by the mild barely noticable apex reset. Their barrels seem good or even great but watch out for their triggers.

Last Edited:
Have installed many...only one didn't work correctly but was fault of the pistol. Height of top of frane to bottom of slide was too much, would give light strikes with slow trigger press.. otherwise worked as designed.

Two things come to mind:

1st, this is why you keep your factory trigger stock. S&W designed the trigger to work reliably within a broad spectrum and across the whole M&P pistol line.
Now does this mean it can't be improved? course not. It's a mass produced trigger, but the further you get away from stock, such as Apex in this case, your reliability window gets a lot smaller.

2nd, most folks have an unrealistic expectation(s) of how a modern striker fire trigger should feel and behave. They are combat triggers with combat accuracy.
They will never be as good as a nicely tuned 1911 trigger. While a striker fire trigger can approach them, they will never be superior....

While I have no direct experience with the Apex kit that the OP tried, I do have a drop in Apex trigger kit in my Shield. Absolutely love it. YMMV

That has not been my experience. I've been running two sets of their Flat Faced triggers w/FSS in my 9mm CORE and in my 45 acp for several years now. These are Gen 1 guns. Have thousands of rounds through each gun and they perform beautifully.

This really seems odd. Apex didn't get the reputation it has by producing crap. Give them a call and see what they have to say. It's possible you got a bad unit.

Have installed many...only one didn't work correctly but was fault of the pistol. Height of top of frane to bottom of slide was too much, would give light strikes with slow trigger press.. otherwise worked as designed.

That's what this M&P has. There's a bigger gap between the slide and frame. I'll take a photo of the sear later and post it. It probably is just a dud. I'll let everyone know how apex handles this. We'll see, I'm not expecting much as getting good customer service is a rarity these days.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top