JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings, all, and thanks for having me;

I currently live in Portland, OR, but grew up in a small town in southern Oregon, where I didn't have a gun but pretty much all my friends were into hunting, fishing, target practice, etc. I never got into guns much, just because I got into cars and motorcycles instead. But I've handled a few rifles and pistols in my time, just for basic target practice, and I'm very safety conscious.

Along those lines, Portland today is no longer the place I moved to over twenty years ago. It's weird, I live on the outskirts of town, in an area that's considered something of a "lower class" neighborhood -- but I've never had the least bit of problems from any of the various "rough types" who live and/or wander around our neighborhood. On the other hand, I quite literally do not talk about anything besides specific work details with my co-workers, because if they even suspected that I both believe in The Constitution, and that I don't hate Donald Trump, I could lose my job. Seriously.

I want to stay safe and sane and very conscious of the world around me, even as things become stranger and stranger out there almost daily. And first step is, learning more about self and home defense, and listening to those who have experience in firearms and training. I'd like to take some classes in weapons handling, as well as actually firing weapons on a shooting range, again guided by those who have experience and expertise in this. I don't know what options are available out there but in my limited searching on the web, it looks like things are pretty tough out there for those of us interested in hands-on practice and testing. So I'm here to read, read, read what you have to say, and appreciate any and all advice, pointers, tips, recommendations, and warnings you have.

Again, thanks for having me!

Find the gun shops and shooting ranges you can access. Any or all of them could help you find classes and instruction of all types.
My suggestion would be to take a basic handgun safety class to refresh yourself and also, a basic handgun self defense pistol class.
You can upgrade your skills with practice and more advanced classes from there.

Start with a basic class, stay away from the tactical, run and gun stuff. Get safe, get practiced and competent first, then go from there.

Stay safe up there.

Last Edited:
Welcome Aboard! Glad you found the forum.

Once the health issues subside and we get back to being able to have organized clean ups, come check it out. That's the best way to learn where and how to shoot on public land safely.

Welcome!

Given that you have some prior experience with guns, you're already on your way.
Right now with the covid scare going on, any actual on-site classes will be far, and few between for a while. I suggest getting on youtube, or searching for online courses, and educate yourself.
Safety Safety Safety cant stress that enough! Even the most experienced sometimes make mistakes handling a weapon. bubblegum happens.
The best thing you can do is dry practice with a unloaded weapon or airsoft gun, and get comfortable handling it properly. Trigger dicipline, keeping the barrel pointed in a safe direction away from others etc. etc.
I think once you feel comfortable handling it, like Gryghin said above; find a public range, and practice with live ammunition.
Maybe find an experienced friend that you can tag along with if you don't feel comfortable going alone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top