JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a WASR 10 a few days ago and need some help fixing it. Apparently there is head spacing issues but I don't have go/no go gauges to be able to tell.

Apparently there was a need for an oversize pen put into place to try and fix the head space issue. I was told it did at first fix the problem, but then later the barrel slid forward causing the current head spacing issue.

I am asking to see if anyone in the Beaverton area could check the head spacing, or fix this gun for me, (of course I know this wont be free)

The best case scenario would be there are no issues and I have the gun re-pressed, or that the barrel is shot and I would need to have a new one installed using the larger pin to fit in the trunnion? Is that correct?

Anyway here are some pictures of the gun and area in question.

If it was head spaced correctly and drilled for an oversized pin I am not sure how the barrel would move forward again as the over sized pin should be holding it all together tight.

If you look into the hole for the barrel pin, at the barrel cutout are all the edges lined up, meaning is it smooth and even in there for the pin to line up.

Do you have a caliper to measure the inside of the pin hole in the trunion and the OD of the pin. Are they close enough for a press fit?

I may have a NO GO gauge you could borrow, and if you careful you can use a live round to check the headspace. The bolt needs to be able to close on the live round and not close on the NO GO gauge. At that point you would need to move the barrel one way or the other and press the pin or re-drill.

So everything lines up on the back side but not on the front. Front look like it is 1 to 2 mm off

Looks like the barrel was drilled for the over sized pen slightly off by mistake, and from what I have gathered sounds like I need a new barrel installed. I don't think a No go gauge would even matter at this point because it might close anyway because everything is slid forward, right?

Every time have installed a barrel it looks like the holes are slightly off. You can only get them so close to lined up with out pressing the pin in.

Since you have had this AK as the pin been in the gun or did you get it with the pin loose?

Every time have installed a barrel it looks like the holes are slightly off. You can only get them so close to lined up with out pressing the pin in.

Since you have had this AK as the pin been in the gun or did you get it with the pin loose?

When i bought it the pin was loose

Like eganx, I would push the barrel back, check/set the headspace, and pin it. slowly and carefully fire it some to see if your headspace is changing. If it is, then decide how to proceed.

a couple ideas

1) push the barrel back, redrill and repin oversized, 2) pull the barrel, weld up the old cut, redrill/mill the cut for the pin and pin it 3) order a new imported barrel (still might have headspace issues) or a US barrel which will need to be headspaced and drilled for the new pin

Like eganx, I would push the barrel back, check/set the headspace, and pin it. slowly and carefully fire it some to see if your headspace is changing. If it is, then decide how to proceed.

a couple ideas

1) push the barrel back, redrill and repin oversized, 2) pull the barrel, weld up the old cut, redrill/mill the cut for the pin and pin it 3) order a new imported barrel (still might have headspace issues) or a US barrel which will need to be headspaced and drilled for the new pin

Another option though is to replace the front trunnion and headspace properly. It's probably easier to sell it as a parts kit and buy a different rifle depending on the original cost of the rifle.

So I have run into a snag trying to fix this. The trunnion has been drilled oversize to fit a 8mm pin. However it is slightly egg shaped and the pen which is 7.9mm falls into the hole which is 8.1mm. My question is do you think it would be safe to make the hole 8.2mm to clean it up and then I can make a new pen to press into the trunnion to pen the barrel? If this is dangerous in anyway I will just purchase a new front trunnion. Thanks

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top