JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While the Broward Coward stood outside waiting for the shooting to stop fifteen year old Anthony Borges was busy taking fire as he used his body as a human shield protecting other students. Mr. Borges' speaks out, but since it's not about gun control will anybody hear his message?

Parkland shooting hero blames sheriff and superintendent for failing to prevent massacre

1523105673408.jpg

"A student who was gravely wounded after being shot five times while shielding classmates during the Florida high school shooting in February criticized the county sheriff and school superintendent Friday saying they failed the victims by not arresting the shooter before the massacre.

Anthony Borges, 15, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., was hailed a hero after he used his body to protect the lives of 20 others students after accused gunman Nikolas Cruz opened fire at the school on Feb. 14, 2018, killing 17 people.

He was released from the hospital Wednesday after suffering wounds to the lungs, abdomen and legs.

Borges' attorney read a statement from the teen during a news conference criticizing Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel and Superintendent Robert Runcie for the massacre. Borges, too weak to talk, sat silently in a wheelchair with his right leg propped up. His statement specifically attacked the Promise program, a school district and sheriff office initiative that allows students who commit minor crimes on campus to avoid arrest if they complete rehabilitation. Runcie has said Cruz, a former Stoneman Douglas student, was never in the program, but Borges and his attorney, Alex Arreaza, said school and sheriff's officials knew Cruz was dangerous. ..."

More at the link​

Borges brings up some tough questions.

He said the police should have stopped Cruz before the shooting, but to my knowledge Cruz didn't have a criminal record before the shooting (which is why he passed a NICS check). Should the police have seized his firearms anyway while they assessed his mental state?

Cruz was expelled from the school last year. Do we want school discipline data to be fed into the NICS system? Should an expulsion be weighted like a felony?

The same goes for online comments. I believe Cruz made a comment online at some point about being a "school shooter in training". Should online comments be a disqualification from purchasing or owning firearms?

Gently raising my hand to pose the following question:

Each of these outspoken HS activists have had some self-serving adult (read organization/group) coach, prompt, encourge, etc. their actions and activities as it is atypical for young adults, at 15 in this case, to have the perpensity to publicly speak out against adults in general or adult institutions, e.g., shool policy, teachers, or senior administration officials, let alone the community's policing agencys!

The mouth piece shyster, because the young man was to weak to speak, yet could be dressed and shown off like a Ken doll so they could use this young man's adversity to self promote their self-serving cause is a bigger coward in my perspective then the deputy who remained outside during the shooting.

Bottom line, the shyster should be called out like you would a bully, disgraced for the public display of this youth, to discredit the shyster's self-promoting woe is me nonsense! Especially since the shyster should know those LE involved have QI and therefore, 'untouchable!'

One more thing: justified or not, Borges is filing lawsuits against the Sheriff and the School District.

Bad mouthing the defendant of a lawsuit in the court of public opinion is lawyering 101.

Borges brings up some tough questions.

He said the police should have stopped Cruz before the shooting, but to my knowledge Cruz didn't have a criminal record before the shooting (which is why he passed a NICS check). Should the police have seized his firearms anyway while they assessed his mental state?

Cruz was expelled from the school last year. Do we want school discipline data to be fed into the NICS system? Should an expulsion be weighted like a felony?

The same goes for online comments. I believe Cruz made a comment online at some point about being a "school shooter in training". Should online comments be a disqualification from purchasing or owning firearms?

This disgracefully exhibit of Borges and his 'questions' is tantamount to Clinton's 'i did not have sex' with...

This 15yo, who is to weak to speak per his lawyer lacks the fortitude to pose such preponderances against society so is being used, as mentioned above.

Gently raising my hand to pose the following question:

Each of these outspoken HS activists have had some self-serving adult (read organization/group) coach, prompt, encourge, etc. their actions and activities as it is atypical for young adults, at 15 in this case, to have the perpensity to publicly speak out against adults in general or adult institutions, e.g., shool policy, teachers, or senior administration officials, let alone the community's policing agencys!

The mouth piece shyster, because the young man was to weak to speak, yet could be dressed and shown off like a Ken doll so they could use this young man's adversity to self promote their self-serving cause is a bigger coward in my perspective then the deputy who remained outside during the shooting.

Bottom line, the shyster should be called out like you would a bully, disgraced for the public display of this youth, to discredit the shyster's self-promoting woe is me nonsense! Especially since the shyster should know those LE involved have QI and therefore, 'untouchable!'
Huh?
Not sure how speaking out against cowardice ever makes you more of a coward or a shyster.

Huh?
Not sure how speaking out against cowardice ever makes you more of a coward or a shyster.

Sorry, the young adult's shyster speaking out three days after his release and almost two months from the shooting, saying their commentary they are reciting is from the injured 15 who's photo was put out on public display (quote: has a great deal of difficulty performing rudimentary tasks for himself, requiring assistance constantly...unquote) for sympathy purposes for the newspeek media outlets is disgusting and those adults self-promoting the injured youth are the cowards!

If the youth wished his message out, couldn't talk, (dog gone, looking about there are photos with the 15yo and the sheriff as well as with his gf while lying in his hospital bed) should have spoken up during the initial fracas regarding the lack of the deputy's response!

Oh wait, quote: "I feel good," Anthony told NBC News on Wednesday, from his bed at home where he continues his recovery..." unquote.

Oh dear, quote: "Anthony's GoFundMe page has raised more than $800,000 toward a $1 million goal" unquote.

Please P7, et al., recognize the shyster's rhetoric for what it is...preliminary newspeek media fervor for their impending law suit!

Sorry, the young adult's shyster speaking out three days after his release and almost two months from the shooting, saying their commentary they are reciting is from the injured 15 who's photo was put out on public display (quote: has a great deal of difficulty performing rudimentary tasks for himself, requiring assistance constantly...unquote) for sympathy purposes for the newspeek media outlets is disgusting and those adults self-promoting the injured youth are the cowards!

If the youth wished his message out, couldn't talk, (dog gone, looking about there are photos with the 15yo and the sheriff as well as with his gf while lying in his hospital bed) should have spoken up during the initial fracas regarding the lack of the deputy's response!
Oh wait, quote: "I feel good," Anthony told NBC News on Wednesday, from his bed at home where he continues his recovery..." unquote.
Oh dear, quote: "Anthony's GoFundMe page has raised more than $800,000 toward a $1 million goal" unquote.
Please P7, et al., recognize the shyster's rhetoric for what it is...preliminary newspeek media fervor for their impending law suit!
Yes, it does appear to me that they are capitalizing on the tragedy, so I retract "doesn't make them a shyster." Cowardice, nah.

That is to steal a phrase, victim shaming. All he did was get shot up. He doesn't need to meet any groups standard to file his claim.

All lawyers are shysters - that's their job. Mr Borges was victimized by the school policies that prevent them from reporting minority students infraction to law enforcement as well as Broward County who failed to take action on over 3 dozen visits to the shooters home as well as the inaction of the Broward Coward to respond.

Is the shooter responsible - absolutely and he needs to take a dirt nap for his cowardly murders.

Should the School and the County be held accountable? Absolutely as well. There were too many warning signs and not a single person was surprised that he snapped.

Funny how people are holding Mr. Borges to a higher standard than students who were never in the line of fire using this tragedy to further their own careers. At least Mr. Borges had the courage to actually save lives by putting his own on the line.

All lawyers are shysters - that's their job. Mr Borges was victimized by the school policies that prevent them from reporting minority students infraction to law enforcement as well as Broward County who failed to take action on over 3 dozen visits to the shooters home as well as the inaction of the Broward Coward to respond.

Is the shooter responsible - absolutely and he needs to take a dirt nap for his cowardly murders.

Should the School and the County be held accountable? Absolutely as well. There were too many warning signs and not a single person was surprised that he snapped.

Funny how people are holding Mr. Borges to a higher standard than students who were never in the line of fire using this tragedy to further their own careers. At least Mr. Borges had the courage to actually save lives by putting his own on the line.

Not to negate any person's commentary regarding anyone's perceiption of their perception of the event, but...

Broward County who failed to take action on over 3 dozen visits to the shooters home as well as the inaction of the Broward Coward to respond.
What steps do you think Broward County Sheriffs should have taken before the shooting occurred? Should they have sought a judge's permission to seize his firearms?
The school expelled Cruz. What other actions do you think they should have taken?

I do agree with your sentiment that Borges is a true hero.

I am pro rights, pro gun, pro private whatever. But I am not a fanatic. There are limits. When you ask for attention like this kid did, he should have gotten it. I don't think a crystal ball was necessary to figure out he needed a time out.

What steps do you think Broward County Sheriffs should have taken before the shooting occurred? Should they have sought a judge's permission to seize his firearms?

The school expelled Cruz. What other actions do you think they should have taken?

I do agree with your sentiment that Borges is a true hero.

Shall we put this into perspective:
1. The young man was 'main streamed' out of a special needs edcational institution (read cleared that his MH issues were under controlled) even tho he was diagnosised with significant mental health issues and tho he was known to consistantly exhibit disruptive activity as well as violent behaviour towards other students and staff!

2. The sheriff has the obligation to report to CPS those youth who they are receiving complaints about - didn't occur for whatever reason.

3. Mainstream educational system was aware of this young adult's behavioural history yet did not push back whatsoever and it is my impression they were hoping to let the youth ride through until he was 18 then the school system(s) can by law wash their hands of any obligation towards him!

4. That the main caregiver passed in Nov 17, apparently presented enough stressors to disrupt and throw the young man into a complete breakdown. Again the sheriff's personnel visited at the request of the individual who was providing room and board and did absolutely nothing! FL has involuntary commitment statutes which invoked would have at least put Cruz under the care of a MH professional and allowed the sheriff to confiscate firearms, at least temporarily.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews