JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Who here has bought a pre built 450BM upper in a 10.5 ish length? Where did you get it and what do you think?
I want to get a big bore caliber option down the road and I'm starting my research.

No real experience here other than shooting a friend's 16" 450BM a while back. The recoil was pretty stout for an AR type. I'd make sure that you have a quality lower before feeding it too many rounds, as in no poly lowers. It made me want one but I'm leaning towards the .50 to share bullets with my 500 S&W mag. Keep us posted!

Personally I chose the 458 socom over any of the .452 offerings. There is a much better selection of bullets for .458 especially heavies. I also already had many projo's as I also load for 45-70 so it just made sense. Tromix is the definitely way to go for a 458 socom upper and Tony offers a 10.5". He also has 450 bm parts and uppers. It is very good quality stuff. Good luck whatever direction you go.

Personally I chose the 458 socom over any of the .452 offerings. There is a much better selection of bullets for .458 especially heavies. I also already had many projo's as I also load for 45-70 so it just made sense. Tromix is the definitely way to go for a 458 socom upper and Tony offers a 10.5". He also has 450 bm parts and uppers. It is very good quality stuff. Good luck whatever direction you go.

^^^This. When I punch the ticket on a big bore upper it will be a .458 from Tromix.

I get why many people go with the .450 with its SAAMI adoption and large commercial ammo manufacturer support, but from a design stand point I also prefer the .458 SOCOM and like @osprey I have a 45-70 and can see a 458. Win or .458 Lott down the road. I guess if one already has a .45 Long or .460 S&W the .450 BM would make good sense (.44 mag is my big bore handgun cartridge of choice).

I chose .458 Socom for similar reasons as @osprey. Mine is an 16", though, and I couldn't pass up a BCA complete upper with BCG for under $300 on sale at the time. The muzzle blast on a 10.5" barrel would be impressive, I would imagine. I load my own ammo. BCA has side charging .450 10.5"s on sale now for $234.99 with 10" m-lok handguard.

.450 Bushmaster, 10.5" Parkerized Heavy Barrel, 1:24 Twist, Carbine Length Gas System, 10" MLOK Rail|Side Charging Upper

I have heard great things about Tromix, I am just cheap when it comes to something I will hardly use. The BCA upper I have runs with no issues, and gets about 1.5" MOA. I have only put about 60 rounds through it so far.

20200521_114022.jpg

I got better accuracy at lower velocity (1 MOA), but this is a hunting setup and I may need the extra 100 FPS since this round loses speed so quickly. An extra 1" of dispersion @ 200 yds won't change the terminal result, and I don't plan on using it beyond that.

.458 was my initial pick. But as I have no interest (currently) in reloading I determined that the factory options for .450 for cost savings was probably the better option.

If you aren't going to reload, 450 Bushmaster is the ticket unless you have deep pockets for 458 SOCOM ammo. I have picked up 450 bushmaster for less than $1/round watching the sales. Although I just looked at LAX ammo and they have 458 SOCOM for $1.50/round which is cheaper than the last time I looked into 458 SOCOM. I am sure you could sell off the brass for the $0.50 difference and be shooting for the same price as 450 bushmaster.

I built mine with an 18" barrel. Aero receivers.
One thing I will recommend. Get a linear compensator. Tromix makes a great one.
Especially if your going to make a smaller one. They have a very robust recoil.
Since then I sold mine to a friend. ( He has young shoulders) I would definitely recommend kicking around the 458 socom idea. Alot more options for bullets if you reload or cast.

I have the 450bush, 458socom and the 50Beowulf, I have the Bush and beowulf also in 10.5 pistol. If you plan on shooting them much, you need to reload. The pistols are bca uppers, on whatever brand lowers I had laying around with sb3 braces and red dots. I use a ar stoner mag for the Bush and regular pmags for the wulf. I'm very happy with them, no problems with either, make a great truck gun or hd. If you buy one of the cheaper alternatives to tromix, there's a Facebook group called 458 misfits, they have a lot of tips on how to make them work, that's applicable to all three big bores, just in case you have problems. I really like the big bore ar, take at least one out with me when I go shooting, the round count for the pistols is around 700, plan to shoot them as much as possible, just to see if anything breaks, so far nothing has.

^^^This. When I punch the ticket on a big bore upper it will be a .458 from Tromix.

I get why many people go with the .450 with its SAAMI adoption and large commercial ammo manufacturer support, but from a design stand point I also prefer the .458 SOCOM and like @osprey I have a 45-70 and can see a 458. Win or .458 Lott down the road. I guess if one already has a .45 Long or .460 S&W the .450 BM would make good sense (.44 mag is my big bore handgun cartridge of choice).
Several years back when our local sportsmans warehouse was leaving town they had some pretty good sales on firearms. The one the caught my eye was a Ruger 77 safari in 458 lott. I think it was $799 on closeout. I still kick myself for not buying it:mad:.
85BFF896-3E67-408D-A39B-BF1A8619342A.png

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads