JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an older 2 3/4" Wingmaster That is clearly marked on the barrel 2 3/4" yet I just easily cycled a 3" Remington shotgun round.

Anyone know if I can shoot a 3" shell in this gun?

And if not is it the Chamber or the action itself that would be the reason?

absolutely not,there is a 'step' in the chamber that would limit how much the crimp could open up.Higher than normal chamber pressures could get real dangerous.
The whole action area is too small to allow the shell to feed from the mag tube.
Please don't do it,ever.!

absolutely not,there is a 'step' in the chamber that would limit how much the crimp could open up.Higher than normal chamber pressures could get real dangerous.
The whole action area is too small to allow the shell to feed from the mag tube.
Please don't do it,ever.!

To late I put a 3" round in the magazine and cycled it through the gun. As you say the chamber is to short for the case once its opened up and the same thing would cause a problem with ejection. I figured this out right after posting the thread.

FWIW, I prefer 2 3/4" shells. They cost less, don't kick as hard, and the velocity of the pellets is about the same. The real difference is that you get more pellets and more powder to propel them in a 3". For instance, in a 00 buck, depending on brand, you get about 9 balls in a 2 3/4, and about 12 in a 3". 9 is plenty considering they are about the diameter of a .38 special or 9mm. With less kick, you can get back on target faster. For bird hunting, there is a little advantage to putting a few more balls of shot out there, but again there's the cost and the kick, while the fewer pellets are traveling at the same speed, have the same distance, and let you get back on target faster.

That just MHO.

Of course a 3" shell will chamber. The shells headspace on the rim and the 2 3/4" chamber has room for the crimp to unfold. That unfolded crimp space is where your closed up 3" shell is going. No room in a 2 3/4" chamber for a 3" shell to open. I also do not believe the ejection port or the bolt travel is long enough to eject a fired 3" shell.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top