JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These Pitt Bull threads always bring the best out of everyone.

My wife has had protection trained (Schutzhund) Dobermans for over 30 years now. Once they get to a certain point, they are essentially weapons. It's our job to not put them into situations where they feel the need to default to their protection training.

That's not to say they can't do anything 'normal' dogs can do. We just had them at a brewery last weekend - and we do that regularly to socialize them. They can be around other dogs and are trained to ignore them. All focus always returns to us. They are kept literally on a short leash.

Without fail, we get someone with a little snack dog on a flexy leash who's owner isn't paying attention to their sweet widdle poochie who is staring inappropriately and basically trying to get her(him)self eaten. We simply either move or make sure our dogs' attention are on us.

People are free to pet and give the treats like any other dog if they ask and aren't acting weird. Our oldest female will roll on her back if she's feeling comfortable wanting her chest rubbed. She's a slut! Our other one is a bit more aloof and doesn't want a lot of human interaction outside of us. Knowing this helps us keep them out of uncomfortable situations that might prevent them from feeling trapped - which is when a bite response comes up.

I've seen a lot of Pitts. Some are docile slugs (my sister has had 2 of them), some are raging knuckleheaded morons, much like their owners. They can be trained, it takes more work than a lot of people are wanting to do though.

Some dogs though, regardless of breed, just need to be put down. They can't all be saved.

It sounds like the dog the OP encountered is one of those.

Last Edited:
Some folks like pits...Barbeque & gravel comes to mind.

Some pits I can do without...arm & that stray cherry one that cracks a tooth.

Gun deaths = the shooter

Bite deaths = the owner of the dog
I "mostly" agree. The ultimate responsibility lies on the owner. A dog doesn't have the same level of reasoned thought as a person and can't be blamed for following it's instincts. However... unlike a firearm... they are capable of independent, sometimes unpredictable action and they are predisposed to certain personality characteristics.

I look at them of really no different than a child. A parent can train them, raise them to make conditioned choices and responses and even to obey commands... however... they are capable of independent thought and action and a parent can't always be 100% in control 100% of the time.

You can easily argue that it's the dogs fault. If they didn't have that particular breed then a bite incident would never occur, right? Just like you could easily argue that if they didn't have a kid... it wouldn't have cracked your little Suzie over the head with a plate and gave her a concussion and 7 stiches.

It is true though. Some people should never own a pitbull... or have children... and even though a pitbull and/or a child might be hell spawn, whatchagonnado? 🤣

Laughable...but I see where your stance is. Anyone who makes the argument that pits have a screw loose somewhere are just stupid and uneducated. Whatever dude.

How many stories..oh, such a sweet, lovable, family pet..but a switch went off. Never harmed a soul. But then...it just flipped and tore a muscle out of my 10 year old..or killed my poodle on a walk.

Dumb. Stop defending it.

Guess if a pit does that again it must have been one of those genetic families that missed getting 'bred out'
Well I don't know you so I wouldn't call you stupid. There are a lot of breed bias and it usually stems from ignorance, or uneducated. Fine, you don't believe a guy posting online. Check with dog trainers or vets or watch pitbulls and parolees. Why do so many folks in Hollywood have a pit mix of some sort? If you want to get technical, the breed pitbull does not exist. All of mine have been lovers and not fighters. In fact, my wife didn't want to get the first one because her understanding of the breed matched yours or maybe lack of understanding.
Think about it this way, OF the media lies to you and sensationalizes stories related to that evil black rifle, what makes you think they wouldn't do that with a specific breed? I think the problem really is a lack of independent thinking. Society is made up of lemmings.
In fact, last I looked, pits weren't the breed with the most bites. Now their jaws are strong and they don't like to let go of something because of their prey drive but showing me an aggressive pitbull and I will show you a POS owner. Our friends at the lake have two old barky Chihuahuas and they are very aggressive to Lolly. She is afraid of them but man she still is trying to catch her first squirrel.

Hey, now, that's a Sig P320 you don't want to look at crooked. The P22x guns are sound-as-a-pound!

:s0029:
Have you seen the pound lately? :D

1715916118565.png

1. Notice how it says "Pit bull breeds" as in all breeds that people label and mislabel as pit bulls.

That is the equivalent of saying all herding or retrieving breeds and lumping them together to get numbers.

2. Glocks account for most gang violence - because Glock is very easy to rhyme in rap music.

Pits are similar in that they look beefy AF and appeal to a certain type of person as a status symbol.

That doesn't make the breed inherently dangerous and in fact it takes very little research or self education to find out that pits that bit humans were put down and bred out, as they needed to be able to get in the ring without getting bit by the fighting dogs.

Gun deaths = the shooter

Bite deaths = the owner of the dog
THIS! I have "heard" tales of a dog that kills that supposedly never showed any sign of being a problem. I tend to take those tales with a healthy amount of salt. I have seen a LOT of problem dogs. All of them that finally did something to be put down showed the owners they had a problem LONG before disaster struck. The thing I keep seeing is people who know they have a problem dog and make one excuse after another until the dog finally does something they can't get out of. People like that should have pay BIG time. Dog kills? People should be brought up on murder charges.

What about wasp spray ?
For the love of god and all that is holy...NO.

Wasp spray is pure internet B.S. There are plenty of YouTube videos comparing people being sprayed with wasp spray vs pepper spray. And there is no comparison. Wasp spray is far easier to fight through.

There is also NO REASON to use wasp spray. Pepper spray is cheap and readily available. You can order it off Amazon and have it in two days. There is zero reason and zero benefit of using wasp spray...unless you're spraying wasps.

Shot my fair share of pitbulls on farms an being used to run elk in the woods. 9mm generally doesn't do much unless your shooting shoulders or hips. 556 helps ventilate them but generally 6-8 rounds to get them stopped or dead. 762x39 8m3 has been the most effective next to 357 gold dots or xtp. When you got dogs fighting or on top of live stock you gut shoot em. Ever notice how the guts are hunched up? Yup blast there an then get a kill shot.

ive owned a mix and pet sat 3 different ones over the years. The different kinds of "pit bulls" can make very good pets and be very affectionate, but the owner really needs to be in control

Dobermans are Significantly smarter than pit bulls and can be trained to do amazing things - but so many owners treat them like "guard dogs" and want them aggressive, attacking tires, intruders etc that many of them
become dangerous as well. It's a shame.

ive owned a mix and pet sat 3 different ones over the years. The different kinds of "pit bulls" can make very good pets and be very affectionate, but the owner really needs to be in control

Dobermans are Significantly smarter than pit bulls and can be trained to do amazing things - but so many owners treat them like "guard dogs" and want them aggressive, attacking tires, intruders etc that many of them
become dangerous as well. It's a shame.
Sadly while Dogs really can be man's best friend, MANY dog owners are a dogs worst enemy. I really HATE having to harm a dog since it's ALWAYS some moron owner who is at fault.

I realize the breed has some attraction for some types of people, but there is no denying that pitbull breeds alone are responsible for a little over 22% of all dog attacks, and training doesn't always override their natural instincts 100% of the time.

"They're a misunderstood breed. My pitbull is a big baby, very well socialized and well trained". EXACTLY what every owner of a pitbull said that suddenly found themselves in a situation where their pitbull suddenly decided to try and bite someone's face off.. for no apparent reason. :D

I'm not saying it's inevitable, but natural instincts can be overpowering if even for a moment. Go ask sigfreid and roy about that.:s0140:

Some places don't have state wide leash laws, but even then, most towns and cities do. I happen to love dogs, but regardless of the breed, I can't stand owners with their dogs off leash. It shows a level of disrespect for others, it's irresponsible... and the impression it gives to others? If a person is irresponsible about leash laws, what makes you think I'm going to trust that person was responsible in training their dog?

Other people don't know you. They don't know your dog. If it goes charging toward someone "just to play"... no one else is going to know that and is more likely to react immediately and defensively. Which... may just trigger a dog to suddenly turn from running up just to say "hi" into attacking.

What's the likely result of that? The owner of course will blame you for provoking their dog to attack instead of taking responsibility for not keeping their dog under complete control while in public. Obviously!!:s0140:
Someone asked me "are you afraid your dog will bite your kid"? My response was "my kid is more likely to get hit by lightning than be bitten by my dog, BUT my dog might knock her over down the stairs."

I'm responsible for control of my dog in public.

IMG_2203.jpeg

Someone asked me "are you afraid your dog will bite your kid"? My response was "my kid is more likely to get hit by lightning than be bitten by my dog, BUT my dog might knock her over down the stairs."
I dunno. Only about 300 people are struck by lightening each year and 4.5 million are bitten by a dog. I would imagine that people walking around in thunderstorms carrying a metal object 24/7 would significantly increase their odds of a lightening strike.

Much like living with a dog 24/7 (?). :D

Nothing unexpected ever happens. Until it does. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top