JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very sensitive subject for some folks, I have definitely been in your situation more times than I can count. Luckly everytime has been in marion county and dog/vs livestock. Let's just say pits don't die easy.

Lick your finger and stick it in the old Texas bullseye ;). As has been said - once that dog lets go of what it had you will possibly be the next thing to be bitten.

I hate hearing these stories - Pits are amazing dogs if given the correct training. The owner should be put down imo not the dog.

You will not physically with your hands pry its jaws open without some kind of leverage device. They only have about a 250 psi bite force which puts them around 15 in dog breeds, they are just tenacious as it gets. They are also mis-labeled a vast majority of the time. There are almost a dozen dogs people call 'Pitbulls'.

So all of that out of the way….

Have you filed any complaints about this dog and its owner?

If you had a cat and had your dog attacked twice then I would be severely disappointed if the county didn't do anything about it.

I'm not sure why you let it get to 3 attacks to go to 'Can I put a 9mm projectile in its brain'. If it attacked your cat then that should have been enough to have it removed.

A tazer will stop the dog by interfering with it's nervous system and will do so faster then a bullet to anywhere but a specific part of the brain.

These dogs have a massive pain threshold and prey drive if not trained correctly so even a heart shot will take longer then instantly letting your dog go.

So if it were me and not knowing your whole situation (ie don't let your little dog play out front if you are that worried about it) then a taser would be my go to option.

Sorry about your animals and it's stories like this that give a gentle and loving breed a bad name.

Chest. Large target. Surely to die with blood filling lungs.

Look at the ATF and local police, they don't shoot for the head when killing innocent animals. They aim for the largest body part. Gotta make those rounds count.

Last Edited:
I'm sorry about your dog...and your cat.

The problem is that bullets can do funny things when they hit bone. There's no guarantee that it won't graze off to the side and then who knows where it's going to go.

What does pepper spray do to a Pitbull? Or what about cutting off its air supply...not that that's an easy or safe thing to do. Or what would knifing it in the flank do?
When I walk my Pit mix, I am armed with a gun, knife, and pepper spray for her protection. I have had other dogs want to mess with her. I have used pepper spray twice, most recently 6 weeks ago on neighbors 120lb dog. Dog is one of those bully boutique breeds and he is a good boy, his owner is just lazy and dog lacks obedience and exercise. Dog didn't like the spray at all. He stopped jumping on me and now stays pretty clear of me.
Dogs have bigger nose membranes than humans so it is usually pretty effective on dogs.
Did you hear about the chihuahua that killed a Pitbull? The pitbull choked on it!

I'd have a chat with the owner (leave your dog at home) and find out what's up. Pits are wonderful dogs, but owning one comes with a lot of responsibility and requires a high degree of situational awareness - not just about whatever is going on around your dog, but also how your dog is reacting to it. Maybe he's in over his head and doesn't know how to deal with that breed of dog. Or maybe he's just a negligent jerk. Either way, it's worth finding out. If he's negligent with his animals I would contact the police to report the issue, whereas if he's just in over his head I would try to help him get his dog situation under control so that I can avoid having to shoot it in the future.

When I walk my pit I always carry both the gun and some mace. Situational awareness is my first line of defense - if I see another dog I will cross the street to make sure there's distance between mine and theirs. If a dog fight happens (i.e. another dog is off leash and goes after him) the mace would be my first choice to break things up, only escalating to a gun if that doesn't work.

Kids and dogs are only as good as their parents/owners.

You have to teach/train each and you have to be consistent for their whole life. Training doesn't stop after you teach a dog to sit.

There are good and bad owners of every kind of dog. My wife has a large aversion to Dobermans because of a childhood incident. Dobermans are fantastic dogs though if trained properly.

Strong, powerful dogs are not for first time owners though.

@bradsteen is a great example of a confident and loving owner and I'd bet his dog is well behaved and a sweetheart.

I've used bear spray on a pair of dogs before, I keep it in my motorcycle bags since my trips take me into bear country.

It worked well, after a blast in the face they left post haste.

Mauled the in-laws kid when she was 6.
Dogs up and down the street attacked by pits.
My dachshunds were attacked by two "sweethearts, never done that before" pits.
That's horrible, I'm sorry to hear about that.

My dog is and never will be off leash outside even though she is already extremely well behaved and trained.

It's unfortunate you've had those experiences, pit breeds are exceptionally loyal and contrary to media propaganda, any dog showing aggression to humans as time went on were put down. Having said that, they do have a history of being used in animal sports and do have a high prey drive. Which is why I will keep mine on a leash for life - not because I am worried she will maul someone or something but because I love her enough to never want to be in a position where I have to defend her from being taken away and possibly put down because of someone else's dog.

I'm sure none of that will change your perception unfortunately. The bad ones give all of them a bad reputation.

Last Edited:
Kids and dogs are only as good as their parents/owners.

You have to teach/train each and you have to be consistent for their whole life. Training doesn't stop after you teach a dog to sit.

There are good and bad owners of every kind of dog. My wife has a large aversion to Dobermans because of a childhood incident. Dobermans are fantastic dogs though if trained properly.

Strong, powerful dogs are not for first time owners though.

@bradsteen is a great example of a confident and loving owner and I'd bet his dog is well behaved and a sweetheart.
Thanks @Joe13 . He's well behaved only because I don't give him the opportunity to misbehave.

Interesting topic!

In my neck of the woods most of the dogs running loose are to keep others from looking at the pig styes and drug houses. The pit bulls and German Shepards are turned loose as others walk by..................not an accident!

#1: Someone voted for this!

Foreverlost,

Having broken up a few dog fights, If an offending dog is latched on to one of mine and has a collar on, I slip my cane or walking stick through the collar and twist. when the pit runs out of air it will release its bite! once it releasees, it's up to you to decide how long to hang on. with the stick through the collar I grab a tail or hind leg so they cant turn around out of the twisted collar. DR

A Taser, the real Taser, not the stun gun, will stop the attack IF, and only if you can get both probes into the dog. They have to both hit the dog to work. If they do it will make the dogs whole body just stop working. OC tends to be VERY effective on them. It seems FAR more effective on dogs than it does on humans. Last time I had to OC a pit it was a moron neighbors who was allowed out. I went out to my yard to shoo it off and it charged me. OC to the face and it beat feet back home. We lived in that house years later and the dog remembered. Every time I saw it out front all I had to do was open the door and it saw me and headed home.
For a situation where one has your pet in its mouth I would shoot it. I would NOT try for the head. As others mentioned go for the back. Lungs, spine, organs, all kinds of vital stuff there and no risk of round going through and hitting your dog. As another mentioned since the owner is proven to be a moron you can almost count on them getting REAL upset that you killed their dog. Morons like this almost always act like the whole world is supposed to be taking care of their dog for them. Its a damn shame what morons have done to that breed. The dog they originally came from made GREAT family pets that would protect livestock and family members. Now I cringe every time I see one since you don't know which ones are ruined. :(

A Taser, the real Taser, not the stun gun, will stop the attack
To ward off an attack, a taser/CED isn't a bad option, but I wouldn't use one if a dog has a bite hold on someone/something. The immediate affect of a tasers massive current dump is for all muscles to violently contract and convulse. If a dog has a bite on something, the jaw contraction and convulsions may make the bite much worse and body muscle contraction may have a "tearing away" affect.... before the nerves are overloaded and the body goes slack.

A cattle prod works differently. It just induces pain without the massive current dump. Pitbulls have a very high pain tolerance and low self preservation instinct, but in a sensitive region it may be enough to get them to release their bite momentarily to turn their attention toward you... allowing your animal to escape.

"Real world", use whatever you got.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top