JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi folks, I'm helping a friend with his 30 WCF carbine and had a few questions. Let me start by saying, 'Yes, this sweet old girl was re-blued at some point.' :(
He asked for help repairing her but I'm concerned that the carbine is actually somewhat special, everything is original I believe, and don't want to add to the re-bluing mistake.
He's interested in putting her back into something of her former glory by replacing some of her missing accessories. She's a solid shooter and his intention is to keep hunting with her as he has most of his life.

I really appreciate any thoughts y'all can offer.
  1. The rear band screw hole is stripped. Is it possible to put a little steel-capable solder in the hole, and tap it to let the screw get a grip?

2. Are these 4 holes (3 filled, one w/screw) used to mount a scope? Was there a factory scope mount option or were they all after market?

3. I just want to confirm that this is the saddle ring screw hole.

4. Is this small hole in the upper tang for a peep sight? If so, were there factory-installed peeps?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Win94 - Rear Band - stripped threads.jpg Win94 - Tang site screw hole.jpg Win94 - Scope mount screw holes.jpg

Not sure what your friends budget is or if the gun is sentimental to him. But if he's tight with money I would find a good replacement band that has good threads and get out there and hunt. I've had some quotes in the past to get 06's 90's 94's restored and it's not cheap.

1. I would get a replacement barrel band.
2. Yes those look like filled in scope mount holes....no not a factory option.
3. Yep saddle ring hole
4. yup for a Lyman or similar tang mounted peep sight...at times the sight was a factory option...most often not...but the hole was drilled by Winchester in any event.
Andy

Hi folks, I've another question for you pre-64 Win 94 gurus.

The bolt drags significantly cycling both ways near the midpoint on what seems to be high points on the cartridge guides. I put some red ink on them and repeatedly cycled the action to show the wear. The wear on the two guides isn't even with the right side one seeming excessive. I'm thinking that unevenness in the guides is causing the bolt to twist a bit and cause the drag.
Any thoughts? Is there any reason not to do some careful filing on the guides to even them out? Could something else be causing the drag that I should look into?

Thanks in advance for any help.

94 action - cartridge guide high spots -  top - arrowed.jpg 94 action - cartridge guide high spots - side - arrowed.jpg

Is there any reason not to do some careful filing on the guides to even them out?
The cartridge guides are not parts that are going to vary in size from one gun to the next. They are machined parts sized to fit in 'channels' on each side of the receiver and I have never experienced a bolt dragging on them on any mod 94 I have ever had (or have now)

Could something else be causing the drag that I should look into?
Is it possible you are confusing the 'drag' at the midpoint as being from the bolt making contact with the top of the hammer as it's being cycled? Cock the hammer and Cycle the bolt open to where it is 'free' but not in contact with the hammer and with your thumb and forefinger grab the rear of the bolt and slide it forward and back. It should not be dragging and should be somewhat loose and move freely.

IMG_2832[1].JPG

Last Edited:
The cartridge guides are not parts that are going to vary in size from one gun to the next. They are machined parts sized to fit in 'channels' on each side of the receiver and I have never experienced a bolt dragging on them on any mod 94 I have ever had (or have now)

Is it possible you are confusing the 'drag' at the midpoint as being from the bolt making contact with the top of the hammer as it's being cycled? Cock the hammer and Cycle the bolt open to where it is 'free' but not in contact with the hammer and with your thumb and forefinger grab the rear of the bolt and slide it forward and back. It should not be dragging and should be somewhat loose and move freely.

View attachment 1103686
Thanks, great call! I cycled the bolt while holding the hammer all the way down and it ran much more smoothly. It's funny because I was also going to ask what might be done to improve a ridiculously tight main spring. I don't remember the action being quite so difficult before I took it all apart (surprise surprise). Is it possible to install the hammer stirrup backwards?

An older Weaver side scope mount used a two pairs of holes similar to what you show. But there were several other brands, too.

Bruce
Wow, thanks for that. That definitely looks like a possibility. I actually have something like that on a Santa Fe sporterized 303 LE I have. I'll have to take a closer look. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top