JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My buddy and I have a bunch of game cameras out, more for our entertainment than anything else. Gives us an excuse to be out in the woods. Most are in the Willamette National Forest, some are over in the Crescent Lake and Wendigo Pass areas. Over the past 20 years the decline in elk numbers has been staggering. One year, must have been 7 or 8 years ago, we stumbled across several dead elk while just wandering around checking our cameras. We used to have some pretty good-sized herds on our cameras. Now we rarely see groups over 7 or 8 elk. Usually, the groups are 4 or less. The number of bears, cougars and wolves we have on video has increased exponentially. On the bright side, the deer populations don't seem to be too bad currently. Maybe even better than they were five years ago.

With the number of elk we see on our cameras, we direct our elk hunting efforts toward the eastern side of the state. It's a bit of a crap shoot over there as well. Two years ago there was fresh wolf sign all over our chosen hunting area. We saw two elk in the week we were there. This year, only older wolf sign, and one of the best years for elk sightings ever.

Last Edited:
Just last night someone mentioned the lack of elk in eastern Oregon. Said it was the first time that not a single person in their family killed an elk. They also commented that there have been more cow tags issued than in the past.

Elk will never recover in WA until they get rid of late season. Every cow killed is a calf too. Wdfw poached several thousand a few years back for there master whorehauser. We got too many bears, cougars, wolves an now with economic hard times and immigrants poaching is out of hand. Don't expect much for several years unless we get a drastic change.
Think the game numbers are low now? Wait 'till Slo Joe gets his grizzy bears moved in.

Elk numbers are below targets in all of oregon even the coast range.

Mt lion population is at an all time high.

If you want numbers to improve start predator hunting. Every yote, every cat, and every bear killed preserves the future of large game hunting.
One of my preferred hunting spots, behind a gate, at a 4 way intersection of roads has so much coyote crap it looks there is a weekly keg party held by the bastards.
Me and a hunting partner are going to spend the winter cleaning up the problem.
Our hope is that we can relieve some predator pressure and allow the game animal numbers to increase in the basin.
I know there are 2 elk herds in the area and several large bucks.

Don't wait for the state to fix the problem....

If you want numbers to improve start predator hunting. Every yote, every cat, and every bear killed preserves the future of large game hunting.
One of my preferred hunting spots, behind a gate, at a 4 way intersection of roads has so much coyote crap it looks there is a weekly keg party held by the bastards.
Me and a hunting partner are going to spend the winter cleaning up the problem.
Our hope is that we can relieve some predator pressure and allow the game animal numbers to increase in the basin.
I know there are 2 elk herds in the area and several large bucks.

Don't wait for the state to fix the problem....
Been fixing the problem since 2000....best year for coyotes was 162, 56 bears and 33 cats. I'll keep at them

Yesterday my next door neighbor was chatting with me over the fence. He lamented that his hunting trip last week yielded zero shots and zero sightings. When unloading his truck he saw a big bull in my front yard - go figure.

Thank the voters about 24 years ago who stopped lion hunting with dogs! Same type of smart voters that are antigun? Maybe most from Portland, Eugene and Corvallis?
Most assuredly they are antigun. A good way to eliminate gun culture is to eliminate hunting let the apex predators take the game away so huntings not practical anymore. But they arent stopping with just dogs, now they are trying to eliminate hunting alltogether, and add their vegetarian agenda into the mix.

Anyone can still lion hunt with dogs, just alot more rules and regs. We need to open it back up for sport hunters
I cant recall, can use a refresher on how to hunt cougar with dogs here?
But if its not allowed for recreational hunting on public lands than essentially the net effect is not anyone can hunt with dogs.

I cant recall, can use a refresher on how to hunt cougar with dogs here?
But if its not allowed for recreational hunting on public lands than essentially the net effect is not anyone can hunt with dogs.
So it has to be on private property and you have to have "damage". I don't have the energy to be a houndsman so I use a local guy who has dogs when I need him. If they opened it back up there would be some monster cats taken......I mainly deal with younger cats that have no where to really go.

So it has to be on private property and you have to have "damage". I don't have the energy to be a houndsman so I use a local guy who has dogs when I need him. If they opened it back up there would be some monster cats taken......I mainly deal with younger cats that have no where to really go.
they definitely need to open it back up to public lands but the anti hunters got their way. Public land cougar hunting would really cap the predation on deer and elk and bring things to a balance, I actually think that cougars are Oregons biggest cause for low deer and elk numbers right now.
Speaking of monster cats, I thought this one moved on but found a new huge scratch hes come back to my spot I hunt deer. Public land of course...

Where are the elk, in this guys belly. I dont know anything about hunting them but will try calling it in over the winter.

1700888065401.jpeg

It seems '6 K' is the number of Cougars Oregon DFW likes to maintain as the current population however I spoke to a ODFW 'wildlife biologist' a few years ago (off the record) and he said 6K is pretty conservative, with reality being more like a 1/3 more than that at 9K - and maybe more.

they definitely need to open it back up to public lands but the anti hunters got their way. Public land cougar hunting would really cap the predation on deer and elk and bring things to a balance, I actually think that cougars are Oregons biggest cause for low deer and elk numbers right now.
Speaking of monster cats, I thought this one moved on but found a new huge scratch hes come back to my spot I hunt deer. Public land of course...

Where are the elk, in this guys belly. I dont know anything about hunting them but will try calling it in over the winter.

View attachment 1769174
Your 100% correct. That's a big cat... I took ones years ago out by waterloo that went 186#. He was killing Llamas

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top