JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just moved to Portland and one of the first thing I noticed is all the cars that sound like farts. It seems like all the kids got their parents hand me down Subaru's and put a coffee can in place of the muffler.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a passed down free car, I've been there. There is also nothing wrong with tuning your car. But these aren't the WRX STI's I'm seeing, they are always a 15 year old Outback with 120hp (yes, I'm exaggerating). I'm a car guy and I love a good sounding exhaust, muscle car or import tuner, but these fake tuner cars just sound awful.

Sorry to offend if you're one of these but it has to stop. Glass packs don't sound good on an old Suby 2.5l or a 10 year old Civic. If you're gonna invest in an exhaust don't just make it as loud as you can. It just makes you look like you don't know much about performance cars. Put on a quality performance muffler.

Yeah...always wondered that too... 80hp honda with fart can. I don't get it. I mean... I drive a real loud car too but its got the the looks and the engine haha

Saw an old KIA Rio with a wing on the trunk and a fart can exhaust.

Look at me. I am loud and I look ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Yeah - I was kind of stupid like that too when I was 17 driving around in my Grandpa's '67 Datsun 410; I would take the exhaust off just ahead of the resonator and stuff it in the back seat.

Until I was going 80+ MPH on a crowned/tarred road during a heavy rainstorm with bald tires and wound up flipping the car end for end - twice. I am still paying for that stupidity 50 years later with a bad back/neck and pain that is increasing every year. :oops:

But it's gone past "Fart Can" muffler/exhaust tip now. Now there's some crap system that really blasts/pops on deceleration. I though those dick Harley riders were bad! Of course they still are if you happen to be on a corner, or near the road, when one of the jerks decide to really hammer the throttle.

Yep. Young people have been wanting their exhaust to be louder since the 50's.

When I was a kid, everyone had a V8, so it sounded OK. Then in the 90's, the 4cyl and 6 cyl cars got more popular so that's what young people modified.

Not really a mystery. :s0092:

But it's gone past "Fart Can" muffler/exhaust tip now. Now there's some crap system that really blasts/pops on deceleration. I though those dick Harley riders were bad! Of course they still are if you happen to be on a corner, or near the road, when one of the jerks decide to really hammer the throttle.

I put some vance and hines on my harley a few years back, had to popping on deacceleration and promply put the stock mufflers back on.

I find the fart-can noise compliments the purple window tint with the random bubble pattern and the mis-aligned headlights, one being brighter than the other of course.

I put some vance and hines on my harley a few years back, had to popping on deacceleration and promply put the stock mufflers back on.

A proper performance exhaust system is a beautiful sound. Heck, even straights with glass packs can be good. Depend on your tastes in exhaust tones. But ear splitting on medium acceleration is dick territory. My GMC pick-up w/350 runs duels, with cats and glass packs. Every thing but above about 4200, under load, is mellow.

I hardly ever see them honestly. Here and there though yes. Yesterday I saw a REALLY nice Audi that must have just had straight pipes. It sounded so untuned and lousy, strange for such a nice looking whip.

Go to CA, southern specifically if you really want to hear some noisy cars.

My hearing bro claims that a Buick V6 with a bad muffler sounded similar to a Chevy v8 with a good muffler :rolleyes: I've never been able to tell the difference between loud but good and just loud.. although I can tell the difference between loud for a reason, and loud for no reason...

EdIt. On the other hand.. an unmuffled TBI Pontiac 2.5L Iron Duke even with stock size pipes really has that Detroit growl to it compared to the <2L high revving 4 cylinders

Yep. Young people have been wanting their exhaust to be louder since the 50's.

When I was a kid, everyone had a V8, so it sounded OK. Then in the 90's, the 4cyl and 6 cyl cars got more popular so that's what young people modified.

Not really a mystery. :s0092:
My hearing bro claims that a Buick V6 with a bad muffler sounded similar to a Chevy v8 with a good muffler :rolleyes: I've never been able to tell the difference between loud but good and just loud.. although I can tell the difference between loud for a reason, and loud for no reason...

EdIt. On the other hand.. an unmuffled TBI Pontiac 2.5L Iron Duke even with stock size pipes really has that Detroit growl to it compared to the <2L high revving 4 cylinders
Music and cars in the 70's sounded awesome. Kids these days :D play music on their cell phone speaker and put bubblegummy exhausts on their 4 cylinder cars. And they wear their pants wrong. :D

I find the fart-can noise compliments the purple window tint with the random bubble pattern and the mis-aligned headlights, one being brighter than the other of course.
They just need purple hair, neck tattoos, eyelid piercings and mismatched boots to round it out. :)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews