JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

shaving-1.gif

tenor.gif

Haven't had these in a while... so it's time for some pork loins!

Mesquite-marinated boneless pork loin, the last of the leftover capellini, some freshly steamed broccoli crowns, and a mixed artisan baby spring greens salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. A glass (or two) of a local cab to wash it all down...

6605F0E1-B191-4648-9B05-615E162E112F.jpeg

Delizioso!

Delizioso.JPG

Haven't had these in a while... so it's time for some pork loins!

Mesquite-marinated boneless pork loin, the last of the leftover capellini, some freshly steamed broccoli crowns, and a mixed artisan baby spring greens salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. A glass (or two) of a local cab to wash it all down...

View attachment 1867129

Delizioso!

View attachment 1867130
Do you have Costco? We splurge on their, and grate it fresh. 1713710434989.png

Do you have Costco? We splurge on their, and grate it fresh.View attachment 1867166
I buy the Tillamook cheese when I can find it down here by the larger block, cut it into fourths and vacuum pack them. Never freeze them as that causes cheeses to crumble when thawed. But the will last much longer when you divide and vacuum pack them. And its a good idea to do that to Par/Reg too. I'll have to try that

I buy the Tillamook cheese when I can find it down here by the larger block, cut it into fourths and vacuum pack them. Never freeze them as that causes cheeses to crumble when thawed. But the will last much longer when you divide and vacuum pack them. And its a good idea to do that to Par/Reg too. I'll have to try that
We buy the 2lb block medium, only when it's on sale. And off brand cheese in sharp or extra sharp only in the 8oz size. Sometimes Wifey goes for a smaller pepper jack. At any given time we can have up two 6 two pounders Tillamook medium in the garage fridge. We lost track of a 2lb block and saw it was dated last March. Perfectly fine, but pretty much sharp now. Good stuff MAN!

What's on the grill this morning?

My brand new Insulation Blanket!

I figured it would make some difference, but already it's making an incredible difference!

From Amazon, I could have bought the bargain brand for fifty bucks. I stepped up and bought the genuine article. I'm glad I did. It fits so perfectly and was so easy to install.

P1000912.jpg

Last Edited:
Did I speak too soon?

I've gotta update this insulation discussion a little.

Prior, even as recent as yesterday morning, in the cooler weather I've struggled to get this bbq up to the temperature set point.

Yesterday afternoon I received this insulation and immediately installed it. And in minutes, the bbq was at 450-degrees.

But this morning, even after 45-minutes, I cannot get my temp past 305-degrees. I'm thinking maybe there's just a little more going on than just insulation issues.

I made this post at 1045. It's now 1120, and for the first time, the temp is at 450-degrees, the set-point. And that only happened after the sun was in direct contact with the bbq.

Last Edited:
Did I speak too soon?

I've gotta update this insulation discussion a little.

Prior, even as recent as yesterday morning, in the cooler weather I've struggled to get this bbq up to the temperature set point.

Yesterday afternoon I received this insulation and immediately installed it. And in minutes, the bbq was at 450-degrees.

But this morning, even after 45-minutes, I cannot get my temp past 305-degrees. I'm thinking maybe there's just a little more going on than just insulation issues.

I made this post at 1045. It's now 1120, and for the first time, the temp is at 450-degrees, the set-point. And that only happened after the sun was in direct contact with the bbq.
We've had very similar experiences with our treager as well, it's an older model built in Oregon with heavier guage steel but it struggles to get up to high temps. I think it's the pellets in the local stores, if there's any moisture in them the thing won't heat up. We keep our pellets in dry storage with the pellets for our stoves as well.

We've had very similar experiences with our treager as well, it's an older model built in Oregon with heavier guage steel but it struggles to get up to high temps. I think it's the pellets in the local stores, if there's any moisture in them the thing won't heat up. We keep our pellets in dry storage with the pellets for our stoves as well.
That makes more sense than I would have previously accepted. Yesterday, my bbq was running on the previous fill of pellets. But yesterday also, I refilled the hopper with a new bag of pellets. I've been told that the brand of pellets does not matter... but I've asked, without an answer, do some pellets burn hotter than others? And yes, a new bag certainly could have different moisture content.

That makes more sense than I would have previously accepted. Yesterday, my bbq was running on the previous fill of pellets. But yesterday also, I refilled the hopper with a new bag of pellets. I've been told that the brand of pellets does not matter... but I've asked, without an answer, do some pellets burn hotter than others? And yes, a new bag certainly could have different moisture content.
I've head differing results with different brands. I've wondered if blending say 5% of those charcoal pellets in the mix would heat it up. My luck, it would just catch on fire, try at your own risk.

I keep my pellets in my shed. I don't think moisture has been a problem.

And the two brands I've used are Traeger and Bear Mountain. I can't tell one from the other, other than Bear Mountain being half the price.

The pellets today are (new to me) Camp Chef Blend, delivered a couple days ago by Amazon. No way for me to know how they were stored or transported.

I will keep experimenting.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top