What is the best 7.62x39 rifle for the money?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Pigdog, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Pigdog

Pigdog New Member

2   0   0
    Hi,
    A couple of years ago I sold my SKS am I'm ready to replace it. I want a short barreled semi auto that shoots 7.62x39. Originally, I was thinking of another paratrooper sks but they seem to be at a premium right now so I'm wondering what you guys think about spending a little more cash for a mini 30 or saiga ak. I just don't think I can bring myself to spend more than $350 for an sks but I'd gladly spend more for a superior rifle.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Well-Known Member

60   0   0
    Best for what use?
  3. Pigdog

Pigdog New Member

2   0   0
    Weekend shooting, occasional brush gun for deer and just in case zombie gun.
  4. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

62   0   0
    I know what you mean. I bought my Russian SKS for $79 and just can't bring myself to pay more than that to replace it. However, even at $300 the SKS is a lot of bang for the buck. Arguably more accurate than an AK and yet just as rugged. I think the only thing the AK has over the SKS is it is designed for detatchable magazines making reloads faster.

If detachable mags are a requirement I would skip the saiga and go straight to the AK. By the time you convert your Saiga you're in as much as if you had just bought the AK to start.
  5. elsullo

elsullo Banned

6   0   0
    I too have considered getting a Mini-30, as it is such a compact package. But I have learned that spare parts are not available from Ruger---you have to send them the entire rifle even if you simply need a new firing pin! I actually LIKE the looks of the unmodified Saiga AKS, but the folklore is that the SKS is still more accurate anyway. Norinco 20-inchers seem to sell for around 300 dollars on this board lately.............................elsullo
  6. Shooter98

Shooter98 Member

5   0   0
    You can get an AR in that chamber. It's offered by several companies.
  7. Blitzkrieg

60   0   0
    I sold my SKS rifles and kept my AK 47s. If you really want quality worthy of the Dawn of the Zombie Apocalypse.. get a milled Lancaster AK

New Page
  8. trainsktg

trainsktg Well-Known Member

59   0   0
    Well, if you are looking for a low cost, high reliability brush, plinking and SHTF gun (and since you are excluding an SKS) I would recommend either a Romanian WASR or a Saiga with the 'Option' stock. I have one of each and I cannot find fault with either in the function and reliability departments. As mentioned above, an unconverted Saiga limits you to Saiga magazines.

Keith
  9. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Active Member

18   0   0
    if you dont mind spending more for quality I'm really digging the sig 556r it is more accurate than any sks I have shot and uses ak mags
  10. Blitzkrieg

60   0   0
  11. Markjz

Markjz Member

0   0   0
    the gun store here in longview had a Yugoslav SKS $275 not sure if it's still there
  12. Blitzkrieg

60   0   0
  13. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Well-Known Member

37   0   0
    I have had Bulgarian milled AK, a WASR, two Norinco prebans and now have an Arsenal Saiga 21. I think the SGL21 is a keeper. They are put together quite well. The muzzle brake makes recoil negligible.
  14. trainsktg

trainsktg Well-Known Member

59   0   0
    And for us common-folk purists, the SGL 21 is the closest to a Russian AK103 as can be had here in the States.

Keith
  15. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Active Member

39   1   0
    Have you looked at the Draco? It's an AK pistol. Fun to shoot and lighter to pack.
  16. spectra

spectra Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

96   0   0
    I love my SGL and for the price you can not do any better. I only paid about half of what they are going for now. Wish I would have bought more than one!
  17. badclam

badclam Active Member

26   1   0
    If your going to use it for deer also I think the Chinese AKM's are the best made for the dollar out there.
  18. biggie24420

biggie24420 Well-Known Member

18   0   0
    I would also recommend the Draco AK pistol because you can always pay the tax and put a stock on it and you have a nice compact AK platform that is reliable and it shoots the caliber you like. I got two of these pistols and if I don't sell one for profit, I will keep one pistol and one SBR. It's an AK you can legally conceal carry assuming you have a valid CHL/CCW.

Oh BTW.... if you SBR the Draco you must fallow 922R....
  19. 74sporty

74sporty Active Member

35   0   0
    Mini 30. Easy maintence and ak rivaled reliability. Good ol' american action. But they are getting pricey...
  20. Pigdog

Pigdog New Member

2   0   0
    Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to start shopping for a Saiga. I like the look of the gun without the pistol grip, not so evil. I know I could order one and save a few bucks but I'd rather support a local (Vancouver WA) dealer. Where would you guys go?
    Thanks again