JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been around guns of all sorts for decades, but it's never too late to learn.

I've got several Remington 870 Wingmasters in 12 gauge. Lately I wanted to get one in 20 gauge. Note the spelling, GAUGE, not GUAGE. One of the most commonly misspelled words in the English language. Years ago, I had an early Wingmaster in 20 gauge, I think it was made in 1952 or 53. At one time in Warshington, 20 ga. guns were somewhat unpopular. Like back around when lead shot was banned for waterfowl. Lots of the older field guns had been made with full choke barrels. During that time, you could go into a gun store and buy a fairly nice 20 ga. 870 for $100. Even back then, I was interested in defensive guns and I wanted such a thing in 20 gauge. In one of the local gun stores, I found the early 20 ga. 870 for sale cheap. It had a long, full choke bbl. I used a pipe cutter and carefully shorted the bbl. to 18-1/2 inches. I chamfered the muzzle with an automotive reamer than I had. Looking through my taps and drills, I found a tiny, matching pair and drilled a hole for a brass bead sight in just the correct, centered location at the muzzle. I surprised myself by how good of a job that I did.

This early 20 ga. Wingmaster had the corn-cob, grooved forend wood. One evening, I knocked the gun over onto a concrete floor and it cracked that forend which caused a good flow of bad language. Well, this shotgun came and eventually went away.

Last year, I decided I wanted another defensive 20 ga. 870. Of course a lot had changed since I'd had my 20 ga. Wingmaster. There is a thing called, LW. Which means, light weight. Which means, smaller receiver than a 12 gauge. You smart fellows may be ahead of the story already. My old 20 ga. Wingmaster had the same size receiver as a 12 ga.

The 20 ga. 870's I've been looking at lately have not been Wingmasters; they've been more recently-made guns. Which, so far as I know, all have reduced size ("LW") receivers as compared to a 12 ga. And I believe there are variations in later 12 ga. receivers, but that's another story. Since I wanted a defensive gun, it pretty much rules out older guns. Which had fixed chokes. I wanted a short barrel with a Remchoke feature, which you can change. Which restricts me to a later gun with the smaller receiver. Some of these have fixed choke barrels, some have Remchoke, so I was being careful about this.

Last month, I found what I wanted for what I thought was a good price but it had the Youth Stock on it, which is too short for me. Ah ha, but I had a matching full length butt stock already on hand at home, left over from another project. No problem, take off the Youth stock and put on the replacement. But it was a problem, because of the difference is receiver sizes. Drat. There aren't many options for 20 ga. 870 butt stocks, either. And I've discovered that a used stock set for a 20 ga. costs about 2/3 the price of a whole gun. And some wooden sets offered for sale are cracked!

In snooping around, on the internet, I discovered that there is an adapter made just for this problem. Adapting a 12 ga. stock to a 20 ga. gun. Made by Mesa Tactical. One of the few "tactical" things I've ever bought. It solved my problem for $20.

P3270555.JPG

Close up of the joint where the adapter fits. I'm not crazy about the appearance of that little hump-up where the 12 ga. stock joins to the 20 ga. receiver, but I can live with it. After all, it's a pretty ugly gun anyway.
P3270558.JPG

On the bright side, that youth stock should be easy to unload
I've wondered about that. Seems to me that people outgrow shot stocks more often than they outgrow full-sized ones. But I'm sure there are cases where people want to convert a full-sized gun to a smaller shooter. However, the longer gun is apt to have a longer barrel, not the short youth barrel. I'll probably hand on to the short one anyway.

Beauty doesn't equal usability
Yes, this 20 ga. is definitely a gun for function. I've watched some really nice 870's on Gunbroker, including expensive ones with the fancy, English style butt stock on them. Oddly enough, I've seen some of those with 21 in. bbl. For beauty, I prefer a wood stock and glossy blued steel.

I'll probably hand on to the short one anyway.
Mesa Tactical is a good company and doing things most just aren't.

That would be my choice as well. I dunno where you are in life, but having the ability to flip it back for say a grandkid or such... or for resellability for someone that would be attracted to that capability makes it unique. I mean... you already did all the leg work for them and something that would certainly perk my interest over other offerings.

I've been around guns of all sorts for decades, but it's never too late to learn.

I've got several Remington 870 Wingmasters in 12 gauge. Lately I wanted to get one in 20 gauge. Note the spelling, GAUGE, not GUAGE. One of the most commonly misspelled words in the English language. Years ago, I had an early Wingmaster in 20 gauge, I think it was made in 1952 or 53. At one time in Warshington, 20 ga. guns were somewhat unpopular. Like back around when lead shot was banned for waterfowl. Lots of the older field guns had been made with full choke barrels. During that time, you could go into a gun store and buy a fairly nice 20 ga. 870 for $100. Even back then, I was interested in defensive guns and I wanted such a thing in 20 gauge. In one of the local gun stores, I found the early 20 ga. 870 for sale cheap. It had a long, full choke bbl. I used a pipe cutter and carefully shorted the bbl. to 18-1/2 inches. I chamfered the muzzle with an automotive reamer than I had. Looking through my taps and drills, I found a tiny, matching pair and drilled a hole for a brass bead sight in just the correct, centered location at the muzzle. I surprised myself by how good of a job that I did.

This early 20 ga. Wingmaster had the corn-cob, grooved forend wood. One evening, I knocked the gun over onto a concrete floor and it cracked that forend which caused a good flow of bad language. Well, this shotgun came and eventually went away.

Last year, I decided I wanted another defensive 20 ga. 870. Of course a lot had changed since I'd had my 20 ga. Wingmaster. There is a thing called, LW. Which means, light weight. Which means, smaller receiver than a 12 gauge. You smart fellows may be ahead of the story already. My old 20 ga. Wingmaster had the same size receiver as a 12 ga.

The 20 ga. 870's I've been looking at lately have not been Wingmasters; they've been more recently-made guns. Which, so far as I know, all have reduced size ("LW") receivers as compared to a 12 ga. And I believe there are variations in later 12 ga. receivers, but that's another story. Since I wanted a defensive gun, it pretty much rules out older guns. Which had fixed chokes. I wanted a short barrel with a Remchoke feature, which you can change. Which restricts me to a later gun with the smaller receiver. Some of these have fixed choke barrels, some have Remchoke, so I was being careful about this.

Last month, I found what I wanted for what I thought was a good price but it had the Youth Stock on it, which is too short for me. Ah ha, but I had a matching full length butt stock already on hand at home, left over from another project. No problem, take off the Youth stock and put on the replacement. But it was a problem, because of the difference is receiver sizes. Drat. There aren't many options for 20 ga. 870 butt stocks, either. And I've discovered that a used stock set for a 20 ga. costs about 2/3 the price of a whole gun. And some wooden sets offered for sale are cracked!

In snooping around, on the internet, I discovered that there is an adapter made just for this problem. Adapting a 12 ga. stock to a 20 ga. gun. Made by Mesa Tactical. One of the few "tactical" things I've ever bought. It solved my problem for $20.

View attachment 1852511

Close up of the joint where the adapter fits. I'm not crazy about the appearance of that little hump-up where the 12 ga. stock joins to the 20 ga. receiver, but I can live with it. After all, it's a pretty ugly gun anyway.
View attachment 1852512
gmerkt,
I thought the "LW" guns used an alloy receiver, instead of steel. That's what made them "LW".
Are you saying they aren't alloy receivers?

I believe it was the early 70's when Remington went from the 12 Ga. sized receiver to the small one for the 20 ga. Like the stocks, a short, 18"-21" barrel for the larger receiver will cost almost as much as a new shotgun.

View attachment 1852511

View attachment 1852512
I wonder if this applies to 1187s as well? I picked up a 20ga 1187 from Walmart for a ridiculously cheap clearance price. It is a Youth model with plastic furniture.

Edit: It looks like the 20g 1187 has the same issue. I will be picking up one of these adapters.

Last Edited:
My 20 gauge Wingmaster from 1962.
28 inch barrel , Modified choke.
First gun I owned...given to me by my grandfather.
Still gets used today....love hunting and shooting with it.

I'd also love to get a shorter barrel for it...as well as possibly one with interchangeable chokes....
However , as pointed out above...the newer LW 870 20 gauge barrels will not fit.

With all that said...
These earlier 20 gauge 870' s are very well made , easy to carry and shoot well.
Also they are well worth seeking out.
Andy

I'm not crazy about the appearance of that little hump-up where the 12 ga. stock joins to the 20 ga. receiver, but I can live with it. After all, it's a pretty ugly gun anyway.
That weapon isn't for show, at any rate - it's pure functionality that you're after, so far as I can tell, so appearances be damned in that case :)

Start messing with .410s , all your 20ga. gripes will vanish into thin air
I've got several .410's, but no pumps. My 870 Express in .410 went away. What I have now are all single shots. Making and buying ammo for those is a problem these days.

I want to chop this barrel so bad , but I'm not going to.
That one looks like my old 20 ga. Wingmaster. With a metal butt plate. Do not succumb to temptations to cut the bbl.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top