JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
one of these depending on how I feel about things and which hunt I will be on.

1974 Rugar M77R in 30-06 with a Tasco world Class 3-9 using either a 130gr HP or 150gr spire point
1968 Winchester Model 1894 Buffalo Bill 26" barrel Rifle in 30-30 with a 125gr FPHP this rifle has a Williams peep sight and hooded front.
If I get a really nice weather day I might take out my Winchester Model 1895 Deluxe rifle in 30-40 Gov 28" barrel Lyman receiver sight. It was Dads so gets taken very good care of.
And if I draw a BP tag my T/C Hawkin percussion with a custom Green mountain barrel in .50 cal with sights of my own making I run a 70gr 3F load with a .490 ball and a .020 patch.

Man, when I'm feeling burnt out, that's when I really NEED to go hunting.
I believe he means burnt out on hunting. I'm in the same camp.

I got into hunting to get the flork away from people and put some meat in the freezer. The last several years I've seen more and more people with itchy trigger fingers shooting at movement and less and less game.

Stainless Rossi .357 Mag with red dot..... The woods I hunt in are so dense that you would never have more than a 50 yard shot. I have the gun zeroed at 50 yards, this was my group at 100.

20240421_121142.jpg 20240421_134614 (1).jpg

I believe he means burnt out on hunting. I'm in the same camp.

I got into hunting to get the flork away from people and put some meat in the freezer. The last several years I've seen more and more people with itchy trigger fingers shooting at movement and less and less game.
I primarily bow hunt, so have less trouble with the people with itchy trigger fingers, but definitely know where you're coming from on the "less and less game" part - particularly the elk herds. :( On the other hand, if you like hunting bears and cougars, they seem to be plentiful. :(:(

As I've gotten older, an unfilled tag doesn't bother me all that much. I just like getting out there.

1714314587208.png

What's your secret for fighting rust? I struggle to keep my black powder guns from rusting even here on the dry side.
Cleaning my rifle ASAP after shooting....
( Not saying that you don't clean your rifle )

Not using any black powder substitute...In my experience those promote rust / corrosion far faster than actual black powder...
Edit to add :
Please note that others will argue that black powder substitutes ain't more corrosive than black powder..
I can only go with my experiences with it...using it with both antique and modern firearms.

When hunting ...a light coating of a mixture of bear grease / deer tallow on my rifle....
( A Light coating of RIG gun grease works well too )

When here at home...
I just check for rust fairly often...
Andy

Last Edited:
Cleaning my rifle ASAP after shooting....
( Not saying that you don't clean your rifle )

Not using any black powder substitute...In my experience those promote rust / corrosion far faster than actual black powder...
Edit to add :
Please note that others will argue that black powder substitutes ain't more corrosive than black powder..
I can only go with my experiences with it...using it with both antique and modern firearms.

When hunting ...a light coating of a mixture of bear grease / deer tallow on my rifle....
( A Light coating of RIG gun grease works well too )

When here at home...
I just check for rust fairly often...
Andy
100% substitute BP is Satan's work. Stuff starts rusting as it's fired. I've gone a whole season sept-dec early an late with a un cleaned rifle using real BP as fouler an zero rust. Just use a brush to knock down the black crust. But I also wax my steel.

100% substitute BP is Satan's work. Stuff starts rusting as it's fired. I've gone a whole season sept-dec early an late with a un cleaned rifle using real BP as fouler an zero rust. Just use a brush to knock down the black crust. But I also wax my steel.
I agree with you...
And I have often gone a long time between cleanings with a muzzle loading firearm...without rust , while using actual black powder.
Won't even think about doing so with a black powder substitute.

And if you want hang fires....and the good old flash in the pan....just go right on ahead and use a black powder substitute in a flint lock.... :eek:
Andy

I agree with you...
And I have often gone a long time between cleanings with a muzzle loading firearm...without rust , while using actual black powder.
Won't even think about doing so with a black powder substitute.

And if you want hang fires....and the good old flash in the pan....just go right on ahead and use a black powder substitute in a flint lock.... :eek:
Andy
Ah. I think you solved my problem. I have a bunch of Pyrodex I've been trying to use up…

I'll be taking my favorite Model 70 Featherweight Classic back to the family deer camp on our 240 acres in Upper Michigan come November.
America's caliber, of course -- .30-06. The state has been really proactive managing CWD in the whitetail population, and the disease hasn't come near our county (yet). Model 70.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top