JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some folks might think this a bit primitive.

P1000922.jpg

But there is a method to all this. I was in Mexico recently. I like bringing back airplane bottles when I can find them at a reasonable price. Well, these were a dollar apiece. I asked the Senora for ten of them. She said they were closing them out, so I could have 30 of 'em for ten bucks. You betcha. Give me thirty of 'em!

The Daktari says I should distance myself from sugar. Enter this fine sugar free tonic water. And my research told me gin is one of the healthiest of the sinful beverages, just behind wine.

So here I go, a healthy gin and tonic that could be served in a dispensary.

And if I am viewed as uncivilized, I could pour this bottle of foo-foo botanical infused gin into a martini glass, and hang out my arthritic little finger. And I'd deny it before I repeated it in front of my friends, but this stuff is really good. 😍

P1000924.jpg

Last Edited:
Choices, choices, choices...
1271671-d141ce2db9bd7e9ae4198ba034791bcf.jpg
The bar is open...
1271673-9b3cbfdc7b838b2193a3317867d63c31.jpg
These photos got me thinking...is Bourbon versus Scotch the liquid equivalent to 9mm versus 45?
And here I thought I'd get critiqued by the single-malt guys...
Nope, not from me (as one of those single-malt guys, :rolleyes: ) I respect blends and those who choose them. However, if someone tries to mix an Aberlour 16 Year Old with a diet Coke, well then, @sobo and I might have a word with them.

Bull Run in Portland distills this, they had it at the Runners Health Expo in Eugene this weekend, labeled it as Marathon Whiskey, you know in honor of the Eugene Marathon. I had to get me a sample size bottle, for post marathon celebrations.

Just to be clear, I'm not a runner, I'm the coach, support network and cheering section for the wife, who turned in a Personal Best 4:16 this year. Now off to the Boston Marathon lottery in September.

Oh yea, Marathon Whiskey, nice and smooth for a heavily based corn mash. I'm a rye guy myself.

IMG_0809.jpeg

These photos got me thinking...is Bourbon versus Scotch the liquid equivalent to 9mm versus 45?
Or 1911 vs. SIG P-220?
However, if someone tries to mix an Aberlour 16 Year Old with a diet Coke, well then, @sobo and I might have a word with them.
Come from a family of Scotch/single malt aficionados. A noble beverage when one is hosting honored guests and family.

I gotta say, I don't understand anyone who mixes any kind of good whisky/whiskey with Coke. A whiskey sour, Manhattan or Old Fashioned is acceptable to me and each has regular place in my routine, but Coke? Barbaric, I say!
I'm the coach, support network and cheering section for the wife, who turned in a Personal Best 4:16 this year
I would also totally support a wife dedicated to that level of fitness, that's awesome. Respect! One of my daughters has trained for and run marathons in the past, I've seen what it takes.

Some folks might think this a bit primitive.

View attachment 1872111

But there is a method to all this. I was in Mexico recently. I like bringing back airplane bottles when I can find them at a reasonable price. Well, these were a dollar apiece. I asked the Senora for ten of them. She said they were closing them out, so I could have 30 of 'em for ten bucks. You betcha. Give me thirty of 'em!

The Daktari says I should distance myself from sugar. Enter this fine sugar free tonic water. And my research told me gin is one of the healthiest of the sinful beverages, just behind wine.

So here I go, a healthy gin and tonic that could be served in a dispensary.

IF, I drink hard liquor, G&T is what I drink. House gin is fine. And if I choose to take gin straight it's.. 1714403982716.png
Don't really care for the heavily herbal infused, though I have tried several, including Aviation.

I fell in love with these... 1714404179601.png
After a neighbor made some for us. I have a nice big patch of mint. Hmmm-Boy! Don't drink them because it's too easy for the wife and I to polish of a 1/2+ bottle rum in too short of time.

I fell in love with these... 1271705-f9222d13adf58d883f90267bd5680c2e.png
After a neighbor made some for us. I have a nice big patch of mint. Hmmm-Boy! Don't drink them because it's too easy for the wife and I to polish of a 1/2+ bottle rum in too short of time.
My wife loves Mojitos, that's almost all she drinks. Yes, we have killed of more than one bottle of rum in an evening. I favor Martinis, though (my pic from the grill thread). And at the recommendation of one of the forum members from a ways back, I did try the Aviation gin, it is worthy and is now on my package store shopping list.

it's 5 oclock somewhere.jpg

And if I am viewed as uncivilized, I could pour this bottle of foo-foo botanical infused gin into a martini glass, and hang out my arthritic little finger. And I'd deny it before I repeated it in front of my friends, but this stuff is really good. 😍

1714405223268.png
A buddy of mine from Portlandia clued me in to Aviation a couple-three years back. I always keep a bottle of it at Maison Sobo. And a back-up, too...
Same as I have a back-up bottle of every bottle of spirits in the house... Two is one, one is none, yunno! :)

My wife loves Mojitos, that's almost all she drinks. Yes, we have killed of more than one bottle of rum in an evening. I favor Martinis, though (my pic from the grill thread). And at the recommendation of one of the forum members from a ways back, I did try the Aviation gin, it is worthy and is now on my package store shopping list.

View attachment 1872146
A Gibson/rocks for me. Three onions please! The reference you hear used in the past "Three Martini Lunch"? Not often, but I'd had days where I wanted to adjust the day quickly after work, two Gibson's would do it very well. I don't how guys could go back to the office and work after three of them? :D

Strait Bourbon guy here, Bullit, Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Makers Mark,..............
Hell, even Pendleton reserve will do now and again. No real mixers, if we do, it's Even Williams or Ten High and soda, usually R/C cola.
I'm also a Connoisseur of good Rum, this is one of those things where there are so many choices, you got to try them all, or know someone to recommend a blend to you, otherwise, it's an endless journey ( Not that I mind) I do prefer a Bermuda Black Rum, usually spiced, but not too sweet! Sailor Jerry's is a good standby, and perfect for mixes, Goslings Black Seal is my fav. and Kraken being my second fav. Captain Morgan Tattoo is also pretty darn tasty as well, but they have gotten a swelled ego lately, their prices have gotten stupid expensive for Rum, which Absolutely MUST be blended to be even close to drinkable!
Wife is the Vodka connoisseur, she has brands I have never seen or even heard of and cannot even pronounce, ALL are high end/spensive, but boy are them damn SMOOTH and go down nicely!

View attachment 1872146
We LOVE Mojitos, but in the more traditional manor, Lots of fresh mulled/pressed mint, and actual Sugar kane served in the glass, with a thin slice or two of Lime! We also prefer the Black Rum blends, they really add to the flavor, really takes it up a few notches!

Try this!
1 1/2 shot ( 1 to 2 Oz) Goslings Black Seal Spiced Rum, One Large Sugar Kane slightly longer then the glass is tall, 1 or 2 thin slices of lime, Soda Water, ( Can also use 1/2 Ginger Ale and Soda Water, if you prefer the white rum blends) and at least 6 large mint leaves crushed or use a small in glass blender to really break the mint up and bring out that flavor. You can play with the final result to fit your preferences, add lime juice, or sugar, or....... if desired!
ENJOY!

Something I picked up after shooting the sh!tt with the man who makes it (not his picture) while volunteering at the seafood and wine festival last weekend. On the sweet side, but it makes me feel just fine. If you're out in Mount Vernon, swing by and see David. He makes great wine, and has some great stories to share.

IMG_3569.jpeg

We LOVE Mojitos, but in the more traditional manor, Lots of fresh mulled/pressed mint, and actual Sugar kane served in the glass, with a thin slice or two of Lime! We also prefer the Black Rum blends, they really add to the flavor, really takes it up a few notches!

Try this!
1 1/2 shot ( 1 to 2 Oz) Goslings Black Seal Spiced Rum, One Large Sugar Kane slightly longer then the glass is tall, 1 or 2 thin slices of lime, Soda Water, ( Can also use 1/2 Ginger Ale and Soda Water, if you prefer the white rum blends) and at least 6 large mint leaves crushed or use a small in glass blender to really break the mint up and bring out that flavor. You can play with the final result to fit your preferences, add lime juice, or sugar, or....... if desired!
ENJOY!
Don't know about the sugar cane, but a length of 3/4" dowel makes a fine mulling tool. So easy to do I wouldn't have considered making a Mojito ANY other way. Once you've had a few real ones, pouring bottled mojito mix in a glass with rum won't work. :s0002:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top