JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will be making another trip to my cabin property in the near future. I am going to bring some reloading equipment with me and give this duplex load technique a try. I never did buy the wc872 so I will likely use the wmr ball powder instead. For the kicker charge, I'm going to use imr4227. I will start at 1 grain of imr4227 then fill case with WMR. 77gr bullets will be tried first. I will work up the kicker charge of imr4227 until the rifle cycles, burns clean or I start to see pressure signs.

My plan is to use a standard carbine gas AR15 and will use the ability of the rounds to cycle the action or not as my guide to success. Of course I will also watch the brass and primers for pressure.

Next attempt will be to try this in 308 bolt rifle.

I will be making another trip to my cabin property in the near future. I am going to bring some reloading equipment with me and give this duplex load technique a try. I never did buy the wc872 so I will likely use the wmr ball powder instead. For the kicker charge, I'm going to use imr4227. I will start at 1 grain of imr4227 then fill case with WMR. 77gr bullets will be tried first. I will work up the kicker charge of imr4227 until the rifle cycles, burns clean or I start to see pressure signs.

My plan is to use a standard carbine gas AR15 and will use the ability of the rounds to cycle the action or not as my guide to success. Of course I will also watch the brass and primers for pressure.

Next attempt will be to try this in 308 bolt rifle.
If you are serious about trying duplex loads, I have a couple suggestions:
Find a rifle rest and securely mount the rifle to the rest
Get a long string/rope for pulling the trigger preferably from cover
Use cheap rifles that you don't like, i.e. old Savage110, PSA Freedom AR's
Good luck!

Have you read the numerous threads on compounding charges? Some even do triplex charges so they don't need Magnum primers. There's a lot out there.
4227 is one of those powders that many reloaders swear that you still need to use Magnum pistol primers.
4227 is almost fast enough, and certainly expensive enough, why not just use a powder formulated for 223?
Squirrel power! This is one of those nuts that has a high likelihood of disastrous results, like running into the middle of the road to grab a walnut.

Cutting out the middle-man isn't necessary in every endeavor.. matter of fact, life itself is right in the middle. I'd just use regular powders since nothing is gained by this effort.

Have you read the numerous threads on compounding charges? Some even do triplex charges so they don't need Magnum primers. There's a lot out there.
4227 is one of those powders that many reloaders swear that you still need to use Magnum pistol primers.
4227 is almost fast enough, and certainly expensive enough, why not just use a powder formulated for 223?
Squirrel power! This is one of those nuts that has a high likelihood of disastrous results, like running into the middle of the road to grab a walnut.
"4227 is almost fast enough, and certainly expensive enough, why not just use a powder formulated for 223?"

I have an abundance of imr4227.

Most of the recommendations for kicker powder are in the fast burning rifle powder range and mostly stick powders. Imr 4198 is a favorite but I have limited amounts of that powder.

I'd be hesitant to use a ball powder in combination with stick powders. I've never tried it, but several of the reloading manuals that I've read over the years have cautioned that ball powders are not as versatile as extruded ones. Some say things like, "load only as recommended, no reductions." That scares me a little.

IMR 4227 is okay for .223 Rem. single shot and bolt action rifle loads. As you are aware, probably won't cycle the AR action properly. Having an abundance of IMR 4227 isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't mind having a bit for magnum revolver loads. I had to settle for 296 a while back because 4227 wasn't available.

Compounding duplex loads by blind experimentation crosses the line for me. Especially in a small, high pressure little jigger like the .223 Rem. I've known a couple of people who did it with SR 4759 under black powder, but those involved much lower pressures. In any case, good luck and be careful.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top