JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Bit of a random question: doing some research on a suitable gun for my father. Time's starting to really take its toll on him and we're needing to rethink his self/home defense abilities.

Looking hard at a Ruger SP-101 (if I can get him to let me pitch in) or a Taurus in .327 Federal Magnum. Even my 9mm has too much recoil for him, but he shoots his father's war bringback FN Model 19-Something in .32 Auto just fine. It's just that his hands are getting pretty bad so racking the slide and loading mags is tough.

So, a revolver in .327 that he and my mother could "regularly" load with .32 S&W Long and then either the H&R Magnums or the newer Magnums for self-defense uses seems like it would be the best idea right now.

I know that Taurus only made a short run of the .327s and I can't quite nail down whether Ruger is making them new, but the budget is tight for my parents and we'll be looking used.

I figure $425ish for a used Ruger might work, but what about a Taurus? I'm trying my best to steer him away from the Tauruses, but money's tight.

Is this to be a home defense gun or will he carry concealed??

If it's a home defense gun, might I suggest one of my favorites--a 4" 38 special or
357 magnum? I'm more than a bit partial to K frame Smith and Wessons. A model
10 is cheap. Model 19's turn up--I paid $150 for a pinned/recessed 19 not long ago.
(Yes--I was in the right place at the right time). Ruger Speed and Security Sixes
also are out there, and I would buy a used Ruger before I would buy a new Taurus.

You can put a spring kit in it to lighten the trigger, and there are dozens of grip
sizes/styles available. Load it with Cowboy Action 38's for plinking, use something
with a little more horsepower for social work.

Is this to be a home defense gun or will he carry concealed??
Just at home and in the car on trips where legal in their home state. CCW is not likely, at least at this time.
If it's a home defense gun, might I suggest one of my favorites--a 4" 38 special or
357 magnum?

As I mentioned, the recoil. If he's having a hard time anymore with a 9mm, I'm not too comfortable with even the .38+p's.

A regular ol 4" Smith or Ruger in 38 or 357 will be the easiest to find and especially if shooting 38 Specials (even +P)
will recoil less than your 9mm. In fact, I think only a .22 will recoil less than a standard 38 Special from a 4" revolver.
I'm not afraid of buying a Taurus, but I, too, would buy a used Smith or Ruger before a new Taurus.

Yep, I can only support the above. Tauruses can work, but heck, with the abundance of them and their incredible accuracy, availabily, low cost, and reliability, get a 4" S&W M&P/10 of any varaint from 1930 to now. $300 to $400 should do it easily. Put on rubber grips to ease the recoil. Deadly, accurate, classic, reliable, affordable. I love them.

I'll second the Smith and Wesson Model 19 .357 with Hogue rubber grips - loaded with .38 special 125 grain it will not recoil very badly at all and it's easy to shoot. If you can find a Colt 1903 Model M in .380 or .32 ACP they would work famous. I just bought one for my Wife as she is getting arthritis in her hands and has a hard time with slide racking, mag loading and recoil with her Colt Officers ACP .45.

.32and.38.jpg

The Model M will cost about $650 for a decent one but that's 8 rounds of .32 ACP. Some of the hot defense .32 is really nice and being as the Model M is nearly a full size pistol it soaks up recoil even with hot loads there is barely any muzzle flip. I inherited a Model 19 revolver....in the box, lightly used. Comparable examples I have seen for $300 - $400. Seems like no one wants them.

VooDoo

.32and.38.jpg

I'm also a big fan of the Ruger Six series. Of the three, the Security Six is typically a bit less expensive than the Speed Six or Police Service Six and in your price range. All were made in a snub nose and 4" so you have some choices. Blued and stainless, although the stainless is my preference. A little heavier than the SP101 and lighter than the GP100. Discontinued in the '80s as they were too expensive to produce and replaced by the SP/GP models.

The nice thing about buying a .357 magnum over a .38 special is the variety of loads. Anything from light .38 specials to full power .357 magnums. Thus it will appeal to a wider range of buyers should you ever decide to sell it. Lots of .38 special loads for your dad are out there so find something he is comfortable with. I have not done a ton of research on .38 special low recoil defensive loads, but these sound like something worth considering as a start- Buffalo Bore .38 Special 158 gr Semiwadcutter Ammo Test - YouTube I'm sure some forum members can recommend some other loads to check into if you ask them.

I did some checking around...not an exhaustive search but looked at a bunch of S & W Model 19s at various places online and I may be misleading you with my above statement of $300 - $500 used revolvers in this model. I have only recently revived my handgun/shooting activities and I'm kinda shocked at current prices.

Most of the Model 19s I looked at were in the $600+ range - not that you might not find one a little less expensive but this might be, in general, above your price range you outlined in the initial post.

VooDoo

Not asking for suggestions on other revolvers here, gents.

Just trying to do my due diligence in how much the Ruger SP-101s and Taurus 327s are running used these days.

Smith & Wessons - even used - will be out of my parents' budget currently.

I don't see many .327 Fed's coming up for sale used. I would without a doubt go with the Ruger over the Taurus. The Ruger shouldn't run more than $500. As far as home defense, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 100gr. bullet at 1400fps. The 115gr. at 1200fps should work great. The .327 represents a HUGE increase from 32S&W or 32H&R. I believe it would be foolish to not take advantage of it. Of course, that is for you and your father to decide, isn't it? A .327 Fed, loaded properly, is a fine home defense gun in my opinion.

I agree, I own a 4" GP-100 in .327 and the round is perfect for HD. The ballistics are very similar to .357. I have not seen any for sale since the Sandy Hook tragedy. Ruger is currently not making them. When they were available they were right around $500 retail.

I agree, I own a 4" GP-100 in .327 and the round is perfect for HD. The ballistics are very similar to .357. I have not seen any for sale since the Sandy Hook tragedy. Ruger is currently not making them. When they were available they were right around $500 retail.

I didn't realize that Ruger had stopped manufacture of them, as well. Crap.

I bought my wife a vintage S&W Chief Special and found that Hornady Critical Defense loads are very manageable for her.
Also added Pachmayr Decelerator grips and that helped cushion a lot of recoil.

A few years back I paid $350 for my smith 4" pre model 10 in really good condition w/leather holster. Only accurate in S/A for me unless I concentrate, stupid half moon sight! Recoil is minimal, trigger is sweet. Good nightstand gun for close range. 38 special is fine for SD.

Uh, he also made it clear that .38/.357 isn't in the equation. So, let's talk about .327 Federal revolvers.

Will, have you considered a Ruger Single Six in .32H&R?

I would very much want the .327 if I were using a .32 to defend house and home, however, lot's of person to person quarrel's have been solved with a .32. Ask the Euro's. As long as you weren't going for a rare Bisley model, you should be able to have one for under $500. I would also take a look at the .32-20 cartridge. Light recoil, a fair amount of sizzle out the muzzle and the ability to get a companion lever gun if necessary.

Good luck to you and your father. Given your specifics, were they available I would just recommend a Kel-Tec PMR-30. 30 rounds of .22 magnum with virtually no recoil. Is a Single Six in .22mag an option?

Uh, he also made it clear that .38/.357 isn't in the equation. So, let's talk about .327 Federal revolvers.

Will, have you considered a Ruger Single Six in .32H&R?

I would very much want the .327 if I were using a .32 to defend house and home, however, lot's of person to person quarrel's have been solved with a .32. Ask the Euro's. As long as you weren't going for a rare Bisley model, you should be able to have one for under $500. I would also take a look at the .32-20 cartridge. Light recoil, a fair amount of sizzle out the muzzle and the ability to get a companion lever gun if necessary.

Good luck to you and your father. Given your specifics, were they available I would just recommend a Kel-Tec PMR-30. 30 rounds of .22 magnum with virtually no recoil. Is a Single Six in .22mag an option?

I hadn't even considered a single action, to be honest.

Recoil is an issue so you want a .327? They are about as loud as a .30 carbine fired out of a handgun.
I'd get a steel 3-4" K-frame .38 and load it with target wad-cutters. It'll do the job. If possible, later, it can be loaded with some thumpers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top