JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I have a ruger m77 mark ii made before 1965. It is chambered in 30-06. I want to changed out the stock to include a box magazine and change the barrel to something more robust (it's rather thin and I want to go more then 3 shots before I get a wondering zero.) I don't know if it is a short or long action.

As anyone done this before?
What benefits did you notice?
Did you have problems fitting the stock on a thicker barrel?

30-06 would be a long action, and JMHO and You Do You and all that, but in the end you are only keeping the action from that rifle, if it was me I would either keep that one as is and pick up another rifle (or maybe a Savage action only if you enjoy building things yourself) or sell that one and buy what you want. What style of stock are you looking for?

Last Edited:
What are you trying to gain from this? A box magazine only makes it easier to unload, but even then, that's not difficult. I'd keep it the way it is, and if you're unhappy, add to the collection.

I'd maybe have it tuned up or rebarreled so you don't get the walking shot placements.

But outside of that, I'd leave it alone and purchase a more tactical rifle to fulfill that role.

I have a 1969 Rugar M77R and it sure doesn't go wonkie after 3 shots. But then its a Deer hunting rifle I have only ever shot it more then twice at one time and that was at Coyotes that happened to have the terrible misfortune of wandering into my deer hunting area on a day I was bored. And the two of them took 4 shots mostly cause they were about 100 yards past where the rifle was sighted in for and the second one though trotting off would help. On the bench I have no trouble with 5 shot groups and waiting maybe 5 to 10 min to shoot another.

30-06 would be a long action, and JMHO and You Do You and all that, but in the end you are only keeping the action from that rifle, if it was me I would either keep that one as is and pick up another rifle (or maybe a Savage action only if you enjoy building things yourself) or sell that one and buy what you want. What style of stock are you looking for?
This. Don't chop up that old rifle, just enjoy it and the stories it tells.

But if you DON'T want to do what everyone is saying I firmly believe that you should do what you want with your own guns, and if you do chose to chase the dream I'd be more than happy to help source solutions :)

I'll join in on the dog pile - were it my Grandfather's rifle I would keep it as is (only fixing anything that needed mending) and cherish it for the memories and pass it and those stories down to the next generation at the appropriate time.

As for the shots wandering those rifles were made in pre free float days and use a pressure point of contact in the fore stock. Consider free floating the barrel and perhaps glass bedding the action. That as far as I would go with modifications.

I'd call it a down grade, but not critical of anyone doing such mods for fun as I've done some fairly unpopular things without regrets to some guns other might flinch at.
If its just a performance thing, I'd think something new would be more economical and with more choices for aftermarket accessories..
I looked at building a 6.5X55 from a mod 700 Remington 243, smooth action and shot really well but needed a new stock (chopped off really short) but ultimately found a fine specimen in the Tikka t3, except for the plastic trigger guard which I replaced with a metal one because it gave grief upon repeat tightening the action from the compression of the plastic. I used JB weld and made some inserts which worked well to reinforce the plastic but it nagged me as a kluge wanting me to go metal. in the end saved 373 dollars with the Tikka from my original plan. (minus the trigger guard)
Its a little plain jane but definitely no issues on performance and mechanics and glad I changed course.
I ultimately put a Boyd's stock with a high comb on the Remington which required zero fitting which impressed me due to the low cost, looks pretty good and a sweet shot now that it fits though I don't shoot it much any more.

(it's rather thin and I want to go more then 3 shots before I get a wondering zero.)
A cold bore zero solves that issue, pencil thin barrels have their advantages as rarely does a hunting rifle need more than 3 shots. Another vote for leave it alone, there comes a point in time where something needs to stay in its era, every part on that rifle has a story to tell.

I agree with the others, don't butcher your grandfather's rifle.
Besides, a Ruger M77 action is not a great action to build from.
Limited stock choices and very funky recoil lug and angled action screw.

Buy a new rifle or buy an old Model 700 from a pawn shop and build from there.

Hello everyone,

I have a ruger m77 mark ii made before 1965. It is chambered in 30-06. I want to changed out the stock to include a box magazine and change the barrel to something more robust (it's rather thin and I want to go more then 3 shots before I get a wondering zero.) I don't know if it is a short or long action.

oh yeah, I have done this before... and it cost me almost twice what a new higher quality rifle would have.
In my case it wasnt that old of a rifle so it was worth restoring. I wouldnt do it to an older heirloom rifle.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews