JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Sorry if its been posted already, its news to me. I'm pretty sure he's been doing this a while, i remember seeing some of his vids before. I am ALL FOR open carry and our rights as Americans, but walking around with a handgun AND a rifle is just too much. It should be a crime what he's doing since it is a public nuisance. I'm pro gun rights and open carry but if I saw some guy walking around with 2 guns I couldn't help but wonder wtf he needs the rifle for.

The way he talks doesn't help his case either.

From my understanding yes it is legal but the point where some feels or says they feel threatened constitutes brandishing a fire arm and that is an offense. I figure you can go to extremes either way and the middle ground i am happy with. get your chl and just keep it to yourself. that is the best policy in my opinion. and yes i agree his mother needs to knock some sense into him with a strong back hand

From my understanding yes it is legal but the point where some feels or says they feel threatened constitutes brandishing a fire arm and that is an offense.

You mean to say that if I feel that I am threatened by you then that automatically means you were brandishing your firearm? What about people who feel threatened by every firearm, whether concealed, holstered, unloaded, or even just EXISTING?

Sorry, this is not brandishing. Yes, the guy is a bit obnoxious, but being obnoxious is not illegal and the police should leave him be.

A friend of mine an artist in the Grants Pass area was open carrying a Ruger Bearcat 25 years ago and to the best of my knowledge she has never stopped. She wore it in a traditional western style holster. She got some looks at the grociery store here in Silverton when she went in but no one said anything.

I would think with all the people over the years who open carry in Southern Oregon that people wouldn't give it much notice.

It's legal yes, but he's walking around and doing this for attention. Why does this bother me? Because now these cops and other officials have a reason to add medford to the no open carry list. He makes gun enthusiasts look like nut cases.

Sadly, if he did that in downtown PDX, especially old town, he would have been shot. If there was no camera rolling, of course. I applaud the guy for knowing what his (temporary) rights are and exercising them. Of course in the event of any 'national emergency', false flag or any other type event, someone like this would be deemed a terrorist on sight and dealt with severely. If not killed, thrown in a hole without rights or trial for the rest of his existence.

From my understanding yes it is legal but the point where some feels or says they feel threatened constitutes brandishing a fire arm and that is an offense. I figure you can go to extremes either way and the middle ground i am happy with. get your chl and just keep it to yourself. that is the best policy in my opinion. and yes i agree his mother needs to knock some sense into him with a strong back hand

Oregon does not have a law about brandishing a fire arm........

This just goes to show how many idiots troll the forums simply to argue against whatever point is being made.

This guy wasn't just walking along minding his own business, he goes from store to store, parks and even the police station HOPING the cops will hassle him. Like I said before, open carry is great and I strongly agree that everyone should have that right, however a guy walking from one public place to another with a rifle strapped on his back shouldn't be applauded. He's not standing up for his rights, or ours. He's giving people an excuse to take away the little rights we have left. If you walk around looking for trouble the cops will eventually show up. They were called there.

Interesting. The guy setting himself up with video/audio recording is good. I wonder if he'll get arrested for putting it on YouTube. Laws vary from state to state, and while we all know the police record stops, in many places recording the police without permission is treated as a crime. Not sure about Oregon.

Cops being ignorant of the laws they enforce is the norm in modern America. The truth is, NOBODY can recall all the laws that bear on us today. Face it. And remember, unless you are a VIP, any cop can ALWAYS get away with shooting you dead, so long as he says the magic words, "I thought my life was in danger." Just ask Amadou Diallo.

The Open Carry guy needs to know how and when to shut up. He could have handled himself much better. Obviously, this is his hobby (or passion). He's an Open Carry advocate, and he wants to make his point. I can support and empathize with that, though carrying the rifle is a bit over the top and clearly intended to get him noticed. Open Carry is legal in Oregon (and Washington), but most citizens and a good many cops are ignorant of the law. He could easily have ended up dead, or at least beaten up and arrested. I hope he knows that. Just arguing with a cop, let along touching him, can get you locked up for "resisting" or "obstructing." In the end, they did not harm him, though they interrupted his peaceful movement and disarmed him.

I'm sure we've followed the Open Carry adventures in California. Because so many were carrying unloaded guns in CA, they are now moving to change the law so they can go after those people.

Frankly, my dream is a society like L. Neil Smith describes in his Probability Broach novels, where all normal citizens wear a sidearm and knife openly. I'd add one thing: the badge of office of any elected public official would be a clearly visible empty holster.

I wonder if Oregon has yet taken a page from Washington. Here, they passed a difficult to interpret law against "menacing" (and that may not be the word in the statute), which can make your 100% legal open carry a crime the moment someone says you scared them. There's a law designed to be abused. There's some good case law on it now, but it's still a law made to be abused.

I hope every Open Carry Advocate and every cop in Oregon watches the video. While I dream of a free society where everyone peacefully carries his or her sidearm without complaint, I know it's unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

Frankly, when I first heard the cop say, in answer to the question about what he'd done wrong, "you're walking around with a gun," I wanted to laugh. If it had been me, I'd have laughed loudly and said "So are you. Surely you know that a million times more people are scared of you than are scared of me." Probably wouldn't have made any points, but it would have been true. It's interesting that those Officers fear being on equal footing. They made it clear that when police talk to someone, that someone is disarmed. I wonder if they'd welcome a friendly conversation with a two or three armed men if they were unarmed. It is often interesting to mentally "flip" or reverse a scenario and think about how it might play out.

I wonder if Oregon has yet taken a page from Washington. Here, they passed a difficult to interpret law against "menacing" (and that may not be the word in the statute), which can make your 100% legal open carry a crime the moment someone says you scared them. There's a law designed to be abused. There's some good case law on it now, but it's still a law made to be abused.

I would assume for that kind of a law to have an effect would not the person making the claim of you scaring them have to come forth and file a formal complaint and stand witness to the so called crime.

I mean even a Rape victim has to file a complaint and give statments and if the state needs be a witness in court.

I would think that would sure slow down the drive by he scared me types.

Well, we are starting to build some good case law now. But as I understand it, not much more is needed than a call to the cops that "he's scaring me." Dave Workman would be the guy who really knows. I was just e-mailing a cyber friend in NC, and she says North Carolina has a similar "law made to be abused" against "going armed to the terror of the public." All it takes is someone to say you caused them terror by walking past them while wearing your gun. The Complainant might have to show up at your trial, or at least submit a Statement. But there are plenty of hoplophobes, quite a few of them unemployed, who would call this a fine use of their free time. Imagine being able to totally mess up a gun owner's life by merely calling cops and making a complaint. Pretty cool for them, huh?

I agree with this guy and his right to bear arms. But, I disagree with the way he goes about it. I believe this guy makes"open carry" look bad, by doing what he did on the video-arguing with the cop and being annoying. He could go about dealing with the cops in a much more professional manner and exercise his rights in more polite manner.

This is kind of a toss up for me, by that I mean I believe in right to bear arms. But, I do not like how the guy goes about it. Just my two cents.

I was amazed this a-hole could walk and talk at the same time, and then I realized I hadn't seen him walk.
A solid argument for government intervention and preemptive sterilization.

I think this guy makes himself look like a nut case. Most people who talk to the police and have nothing to hide are more than willing to tell them who they are. This guy is obviously one who is looking for a "fight".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top