JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep. You guys are right, it's still closed for target shooting but not hunting.

I believe it is to be closed TFN. I'll need to check their website info to see if they put a date on it.

Now,... It's still okay on BLM lands... If you can determine where the boundaries are it may be a good alternative. Fire gear still required.

Y'all are welcome. Don't make me regret sharing this!
(I want to be left alone to shoot in peace this weekend!)

New order posted.

Effective today, the prohibitions and fire warnings still stand, but only East of Highway 35.

Map of closure area.
D5Ngs5M.jpg

Last Edited:
Here's where we currently stand with Mt Hood Nat Forest...
  • Target shooting sites are still a big mess, an eye sore in the forest, trees are still being shot down and, I hear from shooters, more places are being closed.
  • Very little efforts, by responsible shooters, are being done to correct the problems. Or, at least they are not being reported.
  • Since we haven't heard of anyone contacting USFS Mt Hood about the problems or our efforts to improve it, it seems like they feel we don't care. (We only seem to care AFTER a place is closed).
  • I feel like I must be the only one who makes contact with them and tries to do something about it, however, just one person, who lives in Washington, works another full time job and operates a NW wide non-profit organization, can't give the Mt Hood area the focus it needs.
So here's the deal...

I need a shooter liaison person to adopt the Mt Hood area on the West side. This is a volunteer position on behalf of Trash No Land. This person would;
  • Keep in touch with the USFS Sandy &/or Estacada offices on the conditions and efforts at shooting places.
  • Every so often, cruise out to Wildcat, 36 pit and up the NF 45 Rd and report to us and USFS as to the conditions they see (pics!).
  • Distribute brochures to as many outdoor & gun stores as possible in Sandy, Estacada and surrounding towns.
  • Help encourage Random Acts of Cleanups.
  • Promote responsible shooting when ever possible. (We should all be doing that anyway).
I will provide the brochures and contacts you need, however, with the mass distribution of brochures currently going on throughout the Northwest, we need some financial help to keep the printer going, so, donations are encouraged! I will also support your efforts by confirming with the USFS and posting your efforts/findings to our Trash No Land social media outlets.

We need to make a big deal about being responsible, cleaning up our mess after shooting and following the rules, or else we loose more places to shoot. We really look bad out there and need to clean up our act (even if it is just a few who are ruining it for the rest of us). It takes boots on the ground and active involvement with shooters and agencies to make a difference.

Thanks,
Bill

PS: I don't receive a dime for my efforts (although, I throw thousands of my own dimes at it!). No one in our organization gets paid. We only do this to promote being responsible in recreational shooting by cleaning up after shooting and shoot according to the rules. Because we believe "Stewardship Keeps It Open".

Man I'd love to do this but my full time job and other comicommitm keep me pretty busy. I can't do it when I can but I can't be the only one.
That's okay... Simply report here, every so often, on what you see when you're out. I can relay to USFS. Also, let us know when you visit your favorite gun store on how the stock of brochures looks and if we need to refill. Stuff like that will help the whole effort to move forward.

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top