JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The good thing about paper plates (I buy the cheap ones and the same brand/thing that are waterproofed with plastic) is you can staple and or tape them to most anything and they're rigid enough to withstand wind without a backer even if you just use one thumbtack on a twig.
Ah, I have enough scrap wood that I never thought about mounting issues. The paper targets just get stapled to the wood scraps and those last long enough to never wear out before the next batch of scrap.

One paper grocery bag can provide 2 silhouette targets.

1. Fold the bag to its original flat shape.
  2. Cut the bag in half vertically.
  3. Open each half of the bag.
  4. Cut up the seam of each of the corners.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=G1lBnuNArbI?t=27

Something I have found interesting is that everyone has their preference on targets, from home made to fancy.

Seems to be like everything else out there, one size doesn't fit all.

This guy works cheep. 1716348561758.jpeg

but I've thought about another color dead center.
I just remembered a can of fluorescent paint that I saw fall off a survey truck, then stopped to pick it up. I'll add that to the center of my green ball targets.

If we are comparing price per target, how does that compare to paper targets? I get mine online for about .10 each, so the ones with 4 targets on a sheet come in at .025 per target. I get that nothing is cheaper than trash paper you already have, but buying paper plates and paint actually seems more expensive than those cheap "NRA standard" targets you can find in bulk packs almost anywhere, and there is zero labor involved to boot.
I've looked at Amazon (out of convenience). The cheapest paper targets they have of any size (11 inch) are about .20 each. They have some crappy 5.5 inch targets for air soft, those are .0989 per. Plus sales tax, in Wash., of course. Prices go up from there.

When I was shooting M1 Rifles frequently, I got used to those lovely SR-1 targets. If you buy 100, they cost about .60 apiece these days.

Paint, no problem. I've got half a case of dark green that I bought for $1 a can. I had a metal roofing project that I was working on at the time; but the color turned out to be off so I didn't use it.

I just remembered a can of fluorescent paint that I saw fall off a survey truck, then stopped to pick it up. I'll add that to the center of my green ball targets.

I've looked at Amazon (out of convenience). The cheapest paper targets they have of any size (11 inch) are about .20 each. They have some crappy 5.5 inch targets for air soft, those are .0989 per. Plus sales tax, in Wash., of course. Prices go up from there.

When I was shooting M1 Rifles frequently, I got used to those lovely SR-1 targets. If you buy 100, they cost about .60 apiece these days.

Paint, no problem. I've got half a case of dark green that I bought for $1 a can. I had a metal roofing project that I was working on at the time; but the color turned out to be off so I didn't use it.
Seems to me, at $1 a can, it can be the right color for about anything. :)

Really? Midway has paper targets all the way down to .05 apiece. They even have some of the fancy "shot-n-see" reactive targets for .10 each if you buy the big lots of them. I don't think I have seen paper targets for .60 each unless you go looking at brick and mortar retail stores. Hell, even comparing like for like Midway has the large SR-1 targets for .40 each. If you are willing to get the cut down SR-1Cs they are .12 each. (The 1Cs are 10.5 inches square, instead of the full 21" of the regular SR-1s. Same bull's eye ring size, just less of the outer rings).

Now granted you will pay shipping on top of that, but I always need something from there, so tossing in a stack of targets with and order I am already making is pretty easy to do. If you are just buying the targets shipping may double the cost per target, depending on what you get.

The range where I'm a member sells paper targets for a dollar apiece. I didn't mind paying for them when they were a quarter, then fifty cents apiece. So I remembered that my pal Jerry Wiljanen (unfortunately no longer with us) used to make his own targets out of cereal boxes. Now I've taken up Jerry's baton and I'm making my own like that.

One of my NEF SB-2 single shots in .223 Rem. fell over last year and I wanted to check the zero on the scope. That and I was shooting an untried load using Accurate 2015 powder.

View attachment 1884629View attachment 1884631
Are you a cereal killer?

Now granted you will pay shipping on top of that, but I always need something from there, so tossing in a stack of targets with and order I am already making is pretty easy to do. If you are just buying the targets shipping may double the cost per target, depending on what you get.
Yes, I've looked at Midway targets before. In fact, I used to buy the SR-1's from them. But lately, shipping has become an issue. Free shipping comes up once in a while, but unless my recollection is faulty, heavy pads of targets may be one of the things excluded from that offer. I'd have to wait until they have a free shipping period to check on that. BUT: What I remember more clearly is that last time I looked into buying SR-1's from them, something held me back.

The Midway prices in general look better than Amazon, dismissing the potential for shipping issue. I'll file them away mentally for when I run short of cereal boxes and spray paint.

I like those Shoot-N-See targets. They are especially advantageous when you're looking for .224 holes at 100 yards through a range scope. Those small holes fired into a black center ball can be hard to see. "Is there a hole there or isn't there?" The squares that

illustrates in post #13 would be good for that, too, once you get dialed down. When I'm sighting in a scope, I try to bore sight it at home first best as I can. That isn't always possible, depending on the equipment, so a fellow might need a larger target to find out first where he's going.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top