JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can someone explain to me, how the LEOs came confiscate your property for "breaking the law" and not arrest you?
That's seems fishy. Like they somehow knew they were wrong, or they weren't really sure if they were right.

If it were against the law and in this case a federal law as they say, wouldn't you be arrested and thrown in jail on the spot?

I'm sure your on a terrorist watch list now also.

Man this kind of stuff gets annoying. Just gives us our darn rights or try to take them away. This grey area crap sucks.

Can someone explain to me, how the LEOs came confiscate your property for "breaking the law" and not arrest you?
That's seems fishy. Like they somehow knew they were wrong, or they weren't really sure if they were right.

If it were against the law and in this case a federal law as they say, wouldn't you be arrested and thrown in jail on the spot?

I'm sure your on a terrorist watch list now also.

Man this kind of stuff gets annoying. Just gives us our darn rights or try to take them away. This grey area crap sucks.

I know I am citing cases in other cases. But with the major drug trafficking in the Texas boarder area, they are allowed to confiscate ALL money they think is from a drug trade. Recently a few have been in trouble from upstanding citizens who had their cash taken that have basically been robbed by officers.

!
Not saying that there aren't good LEOs in TX.
Not saying that there is any connection to the current situation

But, some people get power they shouldn't have and abuse it and screw up other peoples jobs and our sense of safety and trust.

I own 8 or 9 silencers. I lose count. Shoot them a lot. Anyway its completely legal to buy them and some say its illegal to use them but as far as I know there has never been a successful prosecution of anyone in the state for using a legally owned silencer . For one thing the act of firing through one has to be actually witnessed by a law enforcement officer. Heresay or just finding a can in your possession isnt good enough. Intent isnt good enough. It sounds like yours were illegally confiscated. I'm sure you will get them back and not get convicted of anything.

FWIW its not a felony. Its a Gross Misdemeanor.
RCW 9.41.250

Are there any current or former police officer members on here that would care to chime in on the conduct of the officers in question? I don't know who has LE background on here but it would be nice to hear your thoughts.

Are there any current or former police officer members on here that would care to chime in on the conduct of the officers in question? I don't know who has LE background on here but it would be nice to hear your thoughts.

the answer, based solely on the OP's story, is obvious. but that's the nature of one-sided stories.

since nobody here was witness to the deputy's, nor OP's, conduct, it's going to be kind of hard to critique said conduct. i seriously doubt you're going to get any LEOs to offer an opinion based on one side's story posted in an internet forum. and since the Deputy's name has been posted here, but the OP hasn't bothered to even the score by posting his, i really think we should just stop the speculation and wait for the outcome.

Thread HIJACK....
That is a beautiful HD, wish I could afford to buy the one I'm selling - and its not silenced. Wish they made more like this - a 2010 rip-off from Ruger would be delightful.

Back to the issue - uninformed LEOs.

Thread HIJACK....
That is a beautiful HD, wish I could afford to buy the one I'm selling - and its not silenced. Wish they made more like this - a 2010 rip-off from Ruger would be delightful.

Back to the issue - uninformed LEOs.

Ruger would bubblegum it up with lettering all over the barrel and goofy safeties everywhere.

I once had guns taken "we're just going to take them down town to check them out, You get them back soon" The shipped them off to the ATF!!!

Theres a good chance you will not get your suppressor back!!!

You should have lawyer like YESTERDAY!!! Dont talk to the cops!!!! Tell them to talk to your lawyer!!!!

It starts really small!!! "just a few questions" and ends in a HUGE MESS!!! TRUST ME!!! the only way to be 'Ok' in the end is alot of $$$ and a GOOD LAWYER!!!! You should ask the lawyer about Suing the the county for taking your suppressors and that you are the victim here!!!!

I had a deal a few years ago, I had a LEGAL gun in question taken and suddenly I was a criminal!!! I spent a night in jail, had a Federal court date set, I got a good lawyer and it cost me $2000 and it all went away!!! It was proven Legal and It was all dropped!!!

I cant talk about details of it, but I can tell you... It was not a big deal to the cops, or me when it 1st happened.

The cop called for backup, and they were jokeing with me, and my friends about it all!!! soo much so, that I thought it was ok!!!

I thought I was Ok because it was legal!

I was interrogated or as they like to say "questioned" by the BATFE of seattle. I was then aressted, My friends house was raided and searched.

After my Lawyer got ahold of the DA and after a few meetings... My court date went from suspended to dropped.

I now have NOTHING on my record, Not even an Arrest record!!! I was Never charged! There is NO files or Records on me at all!!! My lawyer threatened with an expungment lawsuit with monetary compensation. The state decided to "forget about the whole thing"

I have since obtained handguns, rifles, my CPL, a Suppressor, and my all my rights back!!!(or as many as any other washington citizen)

It was 6mo of ****!!!

I never got the gun back... I disappeared and my lawyer said not to look back.

ALL of this from a LEGAL gun!!!!

DSCF1292.jpg

FYI, there is just as much info in my screen name (Bhowe) as there is in S. Haley. Think about it.

Anyways I am still waiting to hear back from a handfull of people;

The Seattle ATF office,
The Deputies Sargent (on vacation, go figure)
The legal representation I am working with,
etc.

The first person at the ATF I talked to actually told me that as far as they knew, silencers are ILLEGAL in WA state. Needless to say, I wanted to speak with someone else.

You know, I have worked in SEVERAL class 3 gun shops in the area, and its common for normal people to come through and make the comment "huh, I thought silencers were illegal in Washington". But I honestly NEVER thought this many LE or other gov. depts. could be so separated from the law?

Who knew.

I guess it makes sense though. I mean, how many people have used a lawyer to get off something like a speeding ticket? Ever seen how they do it?

They have people (paralegals) go through each ticket and they come up with usually 3-5 big mistakes that the officer made that were each by themselves reason enough to be dismissed. Most of the time its because the officer didn't even turn the ticket in within the timeframe it needs to be. The judges are so 'chummy' with the lawyers that do nothing but traffic tickets, they get every one of their cases off and the judge kind of laughs about it and shakes his head, only because he knows what a horrible job they do with paperwork and such.

I got a very small case off once because the officers testified one thing and their report said something completely different. My lawyer proved that they had copied the reports word for word between the two officers and the judge ended up making the 25 year old prosecutor red in the face she was so embarrassed.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for the support.

If the sgt. is on vacation there is someone filling in for him. There is also the option of asking for the lt or shift supervisor.

The longer you wait the worse its going to be.

Wishing you the best of luck! If things go your way, you've also set legal precedent for anyone else who is harassed about this. Shame it's going to cost you a ton of money for legal counsel, though.

That's good the lawyer is involved. This is how shady, confusing, and unconstitutional our govt is. State, or Feds.

Chances are you will probably spend a couple grand fighting this and everything will get dropped, a win for you right? Nope cause your suppressor will be lost forever in the BS and your rights have been violated to the extreme without getting your property or monetary value back.

I'm thinking it would have been better for you to demand going with your property. If I'm doing something that illegal you should arrest me too. Then you would have further cause for a civil suit against the Law Enforcement Agency.

I would fight tooth and nail against this. And if charges are dropped against you then, I would feel that's more than enough to file a civil suit. If you lawyer tells you to drop it, and move on. I would find a new lawyer.

These are the kinds of cases we need to start fighting, it all starts here. Next time they take all your guns. Then what?

I think you should let us know when your court case is (if it gets to that) and we should stage a rally for our 2nd amendment freedoms in your honor outside the court house.

I will be there.

I've trying to read up on this and everything I've read implies that the suppressors as we know are legal, but you can't fire them.
So I guess it really comes down to the fact that you never fired them on the firearms.

The lawyer will contest that you had them, and even if they were mounted to the guns you were within the law.
But there's a catch.

Have you ever fired your guns with them on? If so did you clean them after?
They Feds or DA may come after you for breaking the WA law for actually using the suppressors. And although they can't prove you did so that day, they can test to see if there's evidence of use in the barrel of the suppressor. Also they may have the witnesses who called the LEOs in the first place to say you told them you were going to use them if that conversation took place.

Did you ever tell the guys you were speaking with you had planned to use them/ had fired them?
Did you ever use the suppressors and would there be evidence of that on them?

I'm thinking it would have been better for you to demand going with your property. If I'm doing something that illegal you should arrest me too. Then you would have further cause for a civil suit against the Law Enforcement Agency.

No. That would have been talking oneself into jail and that is not better. It just would have made things more difficult for him.

Right now, he's the aggrieved party dealing with an officer (giving the benefit of the doubt) who didn't know the law or have the presence of mind to call the BATFE and verify the Form 4. If he had insisted on going with the suppressors, he could have had the trouble of trying to get himself out of jail when booked in on a weapons charge.

Additionally, it could have opened him up to more problems. The more non-compliant you are at the scene, the more the police can ramp it up against you. Your word against several sworn LEOs, the story writes itself. -The side of the road, at night, with an armed individual carrying a badge is not the time or place to demonstrate your expertise in Constitutional law. While the time and place of his encounter with local LE was different, it's not like he was in a position to start strongly asserting his rights without it going terribly wrong for him.

Presently, he's free to roam and make calls and get people moving on his behalf. It's a little bit different when you can't go to work (to earn money) because you're an inmate at the county jail / detention center.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top