JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fine. You win. You can be the most technically correct person on the internet today. Congratulations.

Anodization in the industry is not typically used in the nomenclature. Yes, I learned something new, but JFC your quest to be technically right is ridiculous.

I will maintain that anodizing is not commonly applied to stainless steel. None of the methods you linked are commonly used in any of the shops I've used or worked in. I'm quite confident if you call up a dozen shops and tell them you need to have some stainless parts anodized, they are going to tell you it can't be done.
look, when not BSing around I use this site primarily as a source of education and learning. That means information exchange, and I do my part to make sure the information here is as accurate as possible. You stated you cannot anodize stainless steel. Well you can, and I was willing to back up that assertion with examples. Hell, I learned something even doing a quick search for a few examples, as I assume electrolytic anodization of stainless was not a thing, whereas it absolutely is. I would not have learned that if not for this discussion.

Back to this specific example, I know that they use lasers to "color" steels of all types including stainless, and that "color" (colloquially called "temper") is an anodization layer. I am not even sure what else it would be called, so maybe you can fill me on on other colloquial names for the finish. I assume that a laser is how it was done in this case, but I acknowledge there may be other methods to achieve the same result. I also assume the darker spots are also done with a laser, though there are other possibilities there too.

I am not doing all this to annoy you specifically, I do what I do to set the record straight and provide enough evidence to justify my position so that other people can make an informed decision on their own.

200.gif

I would assume it was laser etched and the focus intensity of the laser produces the variations in color that are seen.
Strictly speaking etching is cleaning the metal of any color/coating, and anodizing is adding an oxide coating that gives it color. They are basically opposite processes, but when it comes to laser process specifically I have seen those terms used interchangeably despite the technically incorrect terminology. Lasers can do both, it just depends on the intensity of the beam. A low intensity beam heats the metal causing the oxide layer to from, a high intensity beam vaporizes the top layer without depositing much heat into the bulk material. There are laser engraving machines that can do both processes in one pass, coloring the metal and then blasting a clean image into the surface.

I have a buddy who was trying to start up a business with one such machine, though that never took off. I am not sure if he still has it, but if I ever get enough garage space I am going to try and nab it for my self.

A few years ago, Bill Geissele filed a patent called "FIREARM OWNERSHIP PROGRAM". It uses QR, other identifiers, and the software to track a firearm all the way from the manufacturer to the end user and subsequent transferees. Word got out to some of the plebes, uproar ensued, and Bill was in damage control. He explained that it was intended for LE agencies, something something about leasing firearms to those agencies, and to help LE track their arms inventory. Not many were in on this knowledge, and the controversy faded fast, but there are some who remain skeptical as to the intent.

ETA: Patent pdf, if anyone was interested:
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/6b/1b/2c/7a6b182cb75f30/US20210065211A1.pdf

Last Edited:
You rang?
Well, Parallax did manage to post a full resolution picture, unlike some people here. It's just so horribly out of focus it might as well be an up-rezed postage stamp. . . We'll call it a tie, but you can keep the trophy on account of having earned it first.

Well, Parallax did manage to post a full resolution picture, unlike some people here. It's just so horribly out of focus it might as well be an up-rezed postage stamp. . . We'll call it a tie, but you can keep the trophy on account of having earned it first.
1714794219702.png

I had a Remington 870 DM with that QR code thingy branded visibly on the side of the receiver. I think the gun was made in 2018. I have another 870 made in 2014, it doesn't have the QR on it. All things being equal, I think I'd rather have it hidden under a grip panel than stamped out in the open. But maybe some manufacturers use it for in-house tracking longer on the actual firearm.

I had a Remington 870 DM with that QR code thingy branded visibly on the side of the receiver. I think the gun was made in 2018. I have another 870 made in 2014, it doesn't have the QR on it. All things being equal, I think I'd rather have it hidden under a grip panel than stamped out in the open. But maybe some manufacturers use it for in-house tracking longer on the actual firearm.
I agree, I think they look a little tacky. Hell, I would be all for hiding the serials too, but that gets into some legal issues.

I have a couple year old Remington with the QR on it.

Intentional fuzzy? Why yes. Yes it is…

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads