Preferred IWB Holster

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by vmkeith, Sep 29, 2011.

1. vmkeith

vmkeith Member

0   0   0
    I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 290lbs big, and I know that not all IWB holsters work for us bigger guys, so what in your opinion would be the preferred concealed carry holster? I'm hoping there are several to choose from. Thanks in advance.
  2. civilian75

civilian75 Well-Known Member

15   0   0
    Stopped IWB cc for same reason. But I heard Crossbreed at 5 o'clock might work in this case. MKtactical carries a few clones.
  3. Dyjital

Dyjital Modaholic

44   0   0
    Try one that's wide.... doesn't put as much pressure on your waist.
    (275lbs checking in here) and the wider the holster the more comfortable it is...
  4. madmax

madmax Active Member

32   0   0
    :paranoid: wow I'm 6'2" but only 185lbs
  5. titsonritz

titsonritz Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

20   0   0
    Kramer #3
  6. DavinFelth

DavinFelth Member

0   0   0
    The Crossbreed Supertuck has been the most comfortable IWB holster I've tried.
    The Quiet Man and (deleted user) like this.
  7. Scott F

Scott F Member

0   0   0
    They are not cheap and you will have to wait six months to get it but Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is the best out there. I carry a full sized 1911 all day every day. Pants goon, gun goes on. Pants come off, gun is in reach.
    6'1" after my injury and now down to 200 even with an amazingly destroyed back.
  8. Nwcid

Nwcid Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporter

19   0   0
  9. FIDO6

FIDO6 Member

7   0   0
    6'-270# Ted blocker LFI rig works better than anything I'd tried before. Total adjustability and doesn't print at all, I'd recommend the setup to anyone.
  10. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Member

22   0   0
    Comp-Tac MTAC is the most comfortable IWB I've had. ;)

[​IMG]
    FixNbirds and (deleted user) like this.
  11. DBagnall

DBagnall Member

6   0   0
    I am a bigger guy myself and I find IWB holsters to be somewhat troublesome at times. One of the interesting things I found is that certain guns work better in IWB holsters in accordance to body type. I have owned a Crossbreed holster and it was quite comfortable but I was carrying a Springfield XD at the time which is a pretty bulky gun. Learning from that, I now carry a gun with a slimmer profile.

I like the idea of the MTAC holster because you can buy it and if you change guns for whatever reason, you do not have to get a whole new holster. It is modular so you can swap out the Kydex shell according to what gun you wish to carry. Well worth the $10 or so more than you could get a Crossbreed for.

Galco also has their Kingtuk IWB holster which I have no experience with but it looks a lot like a Crossbreed and is relatively affordable.
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Good luck,
    -D
  12. shadowex275

shadowex275 New Member

1   0   0
    Shaddox Tactical makes a soft inside the waist holster that is super comfortable. It is designed for people packing a few extra pounds. They sell them at Willamette Valley Arms in Hillsboro. Probably the most comfortable IWB Holster I've ever worn. Like the Supertuk and similar holster the Shaddox Tactical Deluxe IWB is designed to be worn at 4 to 5 o'clock position for best results.
  13. erslll

erslll Member

2   0   0
    Another vote for the Crossbreed Supertuck.
  14. tlakidd

tlakidd Member

5   0   0
    I use one that is similar to the Crossbreed Supertuck. I bought mine from Tucker Gun Leather. Personal opinion but feel the quality is better, better craftsmanship. I know lots of people that swear by the Crossbreed holsters. I found that you are best to try as many as you can for comfort. Keep in mind, carrying is something you get use to and develop a comfort level with. Like drinking wine, at first is all tastes like cough syrup. A suggestion would be to go to your local indoor range or gun shop and see what the people that work there are wearing. You will often find they are wearing stuff that they might not even sale. What does that tell you?
    tlakidd
  15. PeakResources

PeakResources Member

10   0   0
    I'm 6-4 but not that robust. For IWB with my frame, I like the Crossbreed a lot, and their service / speed is great.

At the Magpul class over a year ago, I did try the Crossbreed during the concealed section. Unfortunately, I ended up "drawing the holster" more than once. After fooling with that a few times, I changed back to my OWB. When seconds count, I couldn't guarantee a reliable draw on my IWB with belt clips. Some manufacturers do provide loops which can resolve that problem. However, I now carry OWB nearly all the time and find it nearly as concealable, even with my preferred wide body 5" 1911.

Whatever you get, I suggest you try some drills where you have to get rounds on target in 2 seconds. That should prove out your setup.
  16. Paradox

Paradox Member

29   0   0
    I'm 6'1" - 290. I have found the Summer Special II from Milt Sparks style holster in leather and the Comp=Tac Infidel in a kydex or the Garret Ind. Silent Thunder style holsters work best for me.

The main ingredient for comfortable carry is the proper belt. I have found that a good quality gun belt will make up for the lacking of most poor holsters BUT even ther very best holster will not make up for the lacking of a poor belt.

A few of my carry guns in their leather.

[​IMG]
  17. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

46   0   0
    another vote for the Milt Sparks VM2. It is by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn.
    Morpheus and (deleted user) like this.
  18. littlegsxr

littlegsxr Member

0   0   0
    king tuk/ for xdm or summer comfort/ for my 1911.
  19. speedtriple

speedtriple Member

1   0   0
    Give Cerisse a call at Home She should be able to work with you get something to work well.
  20. NWA Noah

NWA Noah New Member

0   0   0
    Raven Concealment @ ravenconcealment.com .