JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That boils my blood. I'm sorry man.
Wish we'd take fingers and hands for theft like that. We'd either have a large society of handless people or it would all halt in its tracks due to the extreme punishment.

I would be worried they knew firearms were in the house and I would be away more often.

If you aren't close to your neighbors, I'd suggest talking with them and having them pick up packages while you are away, that's what I do. I also send a lot of stuff to my buddy's house if I'm traveling.

Perhaps the thief had no idea what the buttstock was after opening the package. Next time, the thief might get ideas. So it'd be a concern of mine, just like if my mailbox was broken into and my new American Handgunner and the Midway flyer were taken -- the identify theft rings that steal mail have given information to other criminals, this is well-documented. As well, be aware of who your contractor has working on a home renovation project -- one of the tweakers that broke in my house a few years back was a laborer hired by the company that put on my new roof (wife may have let him inside to use the bathroom -- next time, the contractor brings their own porta-potty).

We have some tweakers (and probably now, fentanyl addicts) up here that have evolved into burglars -- a lot of our homes here are back from the streets and roads with forest and trees blocking views of the houses.

We were fortunate our alarm system got the sheriff's office to respond to our house, and the deputies (with the help of their K9) caught both the a$$clowns that got in through my garage (lesson learned there, too -- harden the garage) to the great entertainment for our only neighbors, who happened to be at home..

Sounds to me as though OP has necessary security measures in place. I don't fault anyone for getting Amazon/UPS/FedEx deliveries when they can't be at home, I have done the same, and I'm retired. As noted, life happens.

Things go in spurts around here, we had some similar neighborhood issues about a decade ago when some vagrants were living near by on the streets. Stuff was missing from everywhere. At the time, we had a paper nest yellow jacket problem and I fantasized getting it into a box some how and leaving it on the porch in hopes it disappeared. But as things go today, I'd likely end up being the bad guy!

Amazon now has a shipping option to have items delivered to a local locker.
I have seen those lockers at some of the stores around here. If I lived in an apartment or was not home all day I would certainly be using that option these days. Last couple years it got bad here with some reports of people following UPS trucks around during the busy holiday time. Picking up stuff as the truck would drop it off. 🤬

What a bummer, but........

I feel like I'm reading on "Next Door"! And reading next door makes me feel like it destroys IQ points. :oops: Why on earth do people still have things delivered to their porches when they wont be home? And left over night to boot? WTH?
--Sigh--
Where else are they supposed to deliver to?

If you're in an area with heavy package theft, getting a UPS Store mailbox might be worth it. You can have packages delivered to it from UPS/FedEX/USPS/DHL and pick them up at your leisure.

That's what I use for when I'm in MT, but mostly because nobody will come up to the property.

Sadly for stuff like this many are kind of "stuck". Hopefully maybe have neighbors you can ask to help? One place I work several of the people who work here use this address for their on line ordering for just that reason. They know that even if the stuff shows up after they get off work I will get it and it will be safe. For many they are just left to hope the scum will not grab the stuff I guess which is a bummer.

If you're in an area with heavy package theft, getting a UPS Store mailbox might be worth it. You can have packages delivered to it from UPS/FedEX/USPS/DHL and pick them up at your leisure.

That's what I use for when I'm in MT, but mostly because nobody will come up to the property.
For those who have no other options that would be a great one. I buy a LOT of stuff online. If I ever had to move and could not have the hours I do now I would probably rent one of those just for that reason. Safe place to have all the stuff dropped at.

What a bummer, but........

I feel like I'm reading on "Next Door"! And reading next door makes me feel like it destroys IQ points. :oops: Why on earth do people still have things delivered to their porches when they wont be home? And left over night to boot? WTH?
--Sigh--
Because you cannot always plan when a package gets to you? I order from all kinds of vendors and sometimes lead times are weeks out. And even when they are not often times I have to complete the order to get an ETA for the delivery. I am not about to alter plans just because some company decides to use the slow boat to deliver a package, or because a shipper screwed up and routed my package through Alaska.

I will typically have a neighbor pick up a package if I notice its ETA is supposed to be while I am away. Past that there is often not much you can do other than make sure you don't order anything if you are planning on being gone any time in the next two or three weeks. I personally would not consider that a viable option, but to each their own 🤷‍♂️

It has nothing to do with "Where" they are supposed to be delivered to. What Mike is saying, is why schedule packages to be delivered when no one is going to be there to receive them. If you already know you will be out of town, have a neighbor or family member swing by and secure items if necessary.

Pee poor planning is a recipe for sorrow! :s0155:

Some of you type faster than I can! 🤣 @Alexx1401 pretty much said it!

Anyway, sorry to hear of this! :(

Answers above this. Just not your porch. I've had orders held at a shipping hub. A UPS order of powder was held at the UPS hub. By MY request. Powder requires a signature so it was easier for me to have them hold it. In a recent powder order last week I went looking to find how to have it held and couldn't. Should have arranged that first with the shipper. And doing some research it popped up that UPS, maybe(?), no longer will handle fire arm stuff? Such as primers and powder? And other things? Perhaps lowers and uppers? IDK?

It boils down to, those of us living in democrap hell holes are being forced to deal with these things. HERE, in this kind of crap-hole, you risk having packages stolen from your porch. That's the bottom line. Adjust for it appropriately. Or not.

It has nothing to do with "Where" they are supposed to be delivered to. What Mike is saying, is why schedule packages to be delivered when no one is going to be there to receive them.
Because we cant schedule the day it will be delivered.

I don't know if it's true elsewhere, but the Bingen post office accepts FedEx and UPS deliveries sent to their physical address. So we get our eBay, Amazon, and other such deliveries sent there. Most of the time the deliveries are put into a locker with the key in our PO box. Never had a problem. Even PSA build kits back when they were OK in Washington (sigh!).

Answers above this. Just not your porch. I've had orders held at a shipping hub. A UPS order of powder was held at the UPS hub. By MY request. Powder requires a signature so it was easier for me to have them hold it. In a recent powder order last week I went looking to find how to have it held and couldn't. Should have arranged that first with the shipper. And doing some research it popped up that UPS, maybe(?), no longer will handle fire arm stuff? Such as primers and powder? And other things? Perhaps lowers and uppers? IDK?

It boils down to, those of us living in democrap hell holes are being forced to deal with these things. HERE, in this kind of crap-hole, you risk having packages stolen from your porch. That's the bottom line. Adjust for it appropriately. Or not.
Too bad we could not have public floggings on live TV weekly for those caught stealing the stuff. Bet before long the packages would still be on the porch when you got home.

I've had orders held at a shipping hub.
Ill have to look into this, thank you for the tip.

I knew about Amazons drop box service though i dont only use Amazon, especially for gun stuff.
I have a custom $ slide being delivered today, lucky someone will be home while im not...

Quite a few years ago there was a garbage strike in New York City. People had bins and bags and boxes of trash and garbage sitting around in their homes, waiting for the strike to be over.

It's Christmas season, and someone boxed up some of their garbage in a big box, gift-wrapped it, put the box in his back seat of his car, drove to a shopping mall parking lot, and went inside the mall, leaving his car unlocked. He came back in an hour and discovered that someone had kindly taken the box from his car, solving his garbage problem.

I think I saw a video of teens in a car driving around and pulling over to the curb to snatch a suitcase off the sidewalk. Half a minute later they're jumping out of the car when they opened the suitcase and discovered it was full of wasps.

I'd be leery about doing something like this with a box on my porch. I'd be afraid someone would remember where they got it and come back to vandalize my house. Ah! I could put it on a neighbor's porch while he's at work! :D Just kiddin'.

Last Edited:
Because we cant schedule the day it will be delivered.
I understand that! But, when you receive a tracking number, as I stated you can arrange for someone to secure the item for you. I have a neighbor who has frequently done this for me when I had to be at the VA hospital in Portland and a package arrived. Not looking to argue, just saying things this simple can be planned. :s0155:

Too bad we could not have public floggings on live TV weekly for those caught stealing the stuff. Bet before long the packages would still be on the porch when you got home.
I think we should pass a law making non lethal booby traps allowed to detain the theif till the cops arrives.

Will never happen but theft would go way down.

The problem is these alternative delivery locations have to be set up separately with the shipper, often we dont know what shipping service the seller will use until we get a tracking order, and if were out of town its not convenient to set up over a cell phone (possble).

Sellers websites should build these options into the checkout process, would be a cool idea.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top