JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bears don't "Hibernate" hibernate here. Where does your buddy live? :s0114:
I knew that just from taking my kid to the zoo.

My first thought, too. Never met a black bear in So. Oregon (and I've run across several on my property) that couldn't be scared off by some hand clapping and loud yells. And that's the stubborn ones. Usually they take off when they see a human. No need for firearms. I'd bet money something else happened here.
I did have a bear in my back yard in Oregon that was after my duck flock and was undeterred in approaching by my shouting and spotlighting it. It did drop the attack and run when I put a shot in the ground next to it with my 686 snubby. Now that we can't hunt bears or cougars with dogs or baits -- the only efficient methods, they aren't regularly hunted over, don't learn from their mommas to avoid people, and are getting bolder and more dangerous.

I find the story about shooting the brother accidentally while loading the gun unlikely. I'd guess an argument and transient rage. Then remorse and/or not wanting to deal with arrest, prison, repudiation by others, etc.

Last Edited:
And bear with GSR on it's paws outside laughing and wondering if anyone will ever know the truth.
1644614604224.png

Sounds like "Oregon man" trying to compete with Florida man.
"Oregon Man" will never be able to compete with "Florida Man" . Florida has "sunshine laws" with respect to government activity. Everything is open to public scrutiny. Any reporter can call police department and get copies of crime reports. The real deal, not special sanitized redacted PR versions. And where law breakers have done something particularly weird or stupid, they can expect to have that weirdness or stupidity broadcasted all over for everyone's amusement. Also, Oregon has no alligators.

My first thought, too. Never met a black bear in So. Oregon (and I've run across several on my property) that couldn't be scared off by some hand clapping and loud yells. And that's the stubborn ones. Usually they take off when they see a human. No need for firearms. I'd bet money something else happened here.
^ Agreed. I've encountered many a black bear, including on my own property. Every run in has been pretty resolved by me going in one direction and the furry visitor heading in the opposite.

And since this story is out of Grants Poop, er, Pass, I am so not buying the bear story. Not for a second.

^ Agreed. I've encountered many a black bear, including on my own property. Every run in has been pretty resolved by me going in one direction and the furry visitor heading in the opposite.

And since this story is out of Grants Poop, er, Pass, I am so not buying the bear story. Not for a second.
All my years in the woods and dealing with work situations I've had to defend myself twice with deadly force against bears. Your right all the other encounters they are trying to get the hell away from you

All my years in the woods and dealing with work situations I've had to defend myself twice with deadly force against bears. Your right all the other encounters they are trying to get the hell away from you
I've heard/read about three exceptions. Black bears that have become familiar with people, such as being fed by them or eating human garbage, which allows bears to associate human scent with food, or eating dog or cat food from dishes on people's porches. Second is getting between mother bear and her cubs. Third is if you surprise a bear from inside its attack distance.

Is this right @Tlock ?

Any idea of what a black bear's attack distance is? (When I'm in woods I'm very quiet, since seeing and hearing wildlife is part of the point.)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews