JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm typically an in-store customer of NW Armory however I'm not having any luck with them in getting a Mossberg shotgun due to the low inventory and long wait. I have identified a NW Firearms member that has posted a classified ad for the shotgun I've been searching for. I'm a law abiding citizen and want to make sure if I purchase this gun (the owner is in WA), that I'm not breaking any laws whatsoever. Does anyone (preferably an officer of the law) have any guidance on how I should handle (and not handle) this potential transaction?

Thank you.

Last Edited:
I'm not LEO but I have purchased guns from WA residents. Have your seller meet you at an Oregon FFL and do the deal. It's that easy.

I would suggest Money Market Pawn on SE Powell, Tigard Pawn 4 More in Tigard or A Cut Above Pawn on the West side of Beaverton. Be aware that back ground check times may not be instant. You may have to wait for a few days for the check to clear. Confirm with your chosen FFL how they handle that situation.

Hi Mikej,

Thank you. I just did some research and found this, which aligns with your suggestion. Thank you and be safe.

"As of August 9, 2015 a background check is required for all person to person gun sales. This background check must be conducted by a federally licensed firearms dealer (FFL). Both the transferor and transferee must bring the firearm to the FFL, who is allowed to charge a reasonable fee, and have the background check conducted in order to complete the sale. The only exception to this would be if the transferor and transferee reside over 40 miles from each other, the transferor may ship or deliver the firearm to a FFL located near the transferee or a FFL designated by the transferee, and the transferor need not appear before the gun dealer in person."

Last Edited:
You can purchase a long gun (shotgun or rifle) in any state where the state law allows you to.

So technically you could go to WA state to purchase the shotgun or the seller could transport the shotgun to an Oregon FFL. WA state laws on semi-auto long guns have changed and are more stringent than OR so bear that in mind.

For handguns, by federal law, all transfers must be done in the state of the buyer - regardless of state laws. Private transfers of handgun vary state by state, but if the seller is a resident of a state different from the purchaser, then the transfer must be done via an FFL.

As you noted, all firearm transfers (in Oregon or WA) must be done thru an FFL license holder who will conduct a background check. The exception to the FFL & BGC would be if you are transferring a firearm to/from an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent, aunt/uncle) - in that case, as long as the family member can legally purchase/own the firearm, you can do the transfer privately without an FFL or BGC or 4473.

NWFA only serves as a mechanism for members to advertise their for sale firearms, and for buyers to see those advertisements. All federal, state and city laws must be adhered to for firearm transfers by buyer and seller.

Last Edited:
I'm an Oregon resident, and I bought this from a forum member here in Vancouver, and did the transfer at Tropic Jewelry & Loan pawn shop on the Eastside of Vancouver.
6930E1AE-D253-4D64-9174-912262AD3A8F.jpeg

And then added a heat shield and extended the mag-tube.. and added the pokey thing.:D 9DDAEE71-FF3C-4277-B380-FECC90E7FA3F.jpeg

I bought this from another member who lives in the Puyallup area and did the transfer at another local FFL/pawn shop (can't remember the name of the place, but HELLA nice guys working there).
C0AF4228-DC53-47CF-9D46-15050F9EB9CF.jpeg 6814EC99-266A-4B1F-8C6D-A46D748E1F6D.jpeg 5AFC6C2A-E825-4974-BA9B-96938D9CE9A7.jpeg F9ACC0C1-2A9D-4866-BB60-D802DA49532F.jpeg

On both occasions (for me) the background check actually took less time than it did to fill out the danged ATF form 4473.... :s0155:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top