JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey y'all, I recently purchased a Ruger Speed 6 and have started to fall in love. I'd love to try shooting revolver in a competitive setting, but have been struggling to find good resources online. With what I've seen online, looks like I should try and find Steel Challenge or IDPA matches, but I'm open to any other options if anyone has recommendations. If anyone that competes could give me some guidance that'd be very appreciated. Also, relevant resources on the topic such as YouTube channels or forums would be very appreciated as well. I have absolutely no experience in competitive shooting and very little experience shooting in general, so any suggestions would be valuable. Thank you so much!

Awesome go after it. YouTube is a great resource for information on shooting matches. Main thing I would look at is getting a set up for matches. Belt, holster, and speed loaders. The speed 6 will likely fit in the gp100 comptac holster I have a security six and it fits. The hks and safariland speed loaders both work well. Get a few things and head to a match. Using PractiScore online will help you find something local to you. Looks like there is lots of matches in Kirkland. Maybe someone from Washington can chime in on what's good up north.

Awesome go after it. YouTube is a great resource for information on shooting matches. Main thing I would look at is getting a set up for matches. Belt, holster, and speed loaders. The speed 6 will likely fit in the gp100 comptac holster I have a security six and it fits. The hks and safariland speed loaders both work well. Get a few things and head to a match. Using PractiScore online will help you find something local to you. Looks like there is lots of matches in Kirkland. Maybe someone from Washington can chime in on what's good up north.
Thanks for all the advice, I will take a look at PractiScore and try find something to sign up for! I appreciate the info, I have been struggling to find recent information about the sport. Also I will take a look at GP100 holsters as well, do you compete in revolver? If so, which federation do you prefer?

Stay with the G17 or G19, get an optics ready one or new slide for yours, good red dot (i.e SRO or Holoson Comp) and throw a Timney trigger in it (they are surprisingly very nice). Still a lighter pistol, robust, can likely share mags with shooting partner, etc.

Then shoot 4-600 rounds a week doing quality training for a month. Then re-evaluate your choice.

Not regularly but I have. I did pick up a gp100 match champion recently for the express purpose of shooting it at matches. I'd recommend hitting a steel challenge match first if you can find one. Fewer rules and less intimidating for a first match. IDPA is probably funner but more complex. The most difficult thing action shooting with a revolver is the limited capacity and reloading. Someone else is suggesting you might have more success with an autoloader and that is probably true but shoot whatever makes you excited to shoot. You might go out and decide man that would have been a lot less hassle or better with a different pistol and that might be the cause but going is the most important part in getting started. People are generally very welcoming and friendly. They will help you out and you will learn a lot.

Agree about a steel match vs IDPA. See if there is a bowling pin match in your area. Doesn't get more basic as far as competitions go. Also a typical steel match is around 150rds if shoot clean (no misses). So plan for 200-250rds. The cost of ammo can get expensive. Couple that with associated gear, match fees and distance to the match(s) you want to shoot, the expense of all that also needs to factored in too.

Last Edited:
Hey y'all, I recently purchased a Ruger Speed 6 and have started to fall in love. I'd love to try shooting revolver in a competitive setting, but have been struggling to find good resources online. With what I've seen online, looks like I should try and find Steel Challenge or IDPA matches, but I'm open to any other options if anyone has recommendations. If anyone that competes could give me some guidance that'd be very appreciated. Also, relevant resources on the topic such as YouTube channels or forums would be very appreciated as well. I have absolutely no experience in competitive shooting and very little experience shooting in general, so any suggestions would be valuable. Thank you so much!
I am interested to see what you find out and how you get started! I'm In the same boat and have been doing research (not too far down the rabbit hole yet) and I have found certain revolver setups lend themselves to certain competitions (like if you have an 8 shot N-frame and Comp vs No comp vs optics). Like other members mentioned about autos, I built up a G19 to be more of a competition/range gun but I just don't get the enjoyment shooting that as I do with revolvers. I've bought most of my revolvers with a purpose in mind (mostly EDC and HD) and now I am looking for something that I can build up for specifically range and competition. It will be awesome to hear how it goes for you!

OP: A local steel match, IDPA, or ICORE will be the friendliest for a wheel gun newby. The steel challenge or typical "speed steel" format, with 5 targets per string, fits just fine with revolver.

I recommend getting a decent belt holster and 4 or so speed loaders and trying a match or 6 before buying any more crap. Safariland Comp-III that fit your cylinder are better for games. I dunno if Comp-Iii are available for the Ruger Speed Six, but Comp-II loaders are. https://speedloaderstore.com/contents/en-us/p45.html

If you want to try match shooting, go try it, and don't hide behind "I just need to get my gear first/need to practice first/need to watch more videos" and other such procrastinations. Some people immediately like pistol matches, and some just don't. I suggest you find out if you like them and THEN start buying stuff, if you have to do so. Generally a good bunch of guys who will let you try stuff and usually give useful advice.

Hello from Shoreline! Maybe what your looking for, maybe not, but the Kennmore gun range (WCW) has bullseye pistol shooting every Thursday night starting at 7pm. We usually are done by 9. More so for accuracy, but there are 1-2 guys who are shooting revolvers. I bring a 38 special every now and then. A few guys run 45acp and 9mm. Rest are running 22s. I am unsure if you need to be a member to join, and it's $60 for the season. Turning targets, and about 15ish shooters each week. 25yards, reduced size targets. Various slow and rapid fire sessions.

Last Edited:
I am interested to see what you find out and how you get started! I'm In the same boat and have been doing research (not too far down the rabbit hole yet) and I have found certain revolver setups lend themselves to certain competitions (like if you have an 8 shot N-frame and Comp vs No comp vs optics). Like other members mentioned about autos, I built up a G19 to be more of a competition/range gun but I just don't get the enjoyment shooting that as I do with revolvers. I've bought most of my revolvers with a purpose in mind (mostly EDC and HD) and now I am looking for something that I can build up for specifically range and competition. It will be awesome to hear how it goes for you!
Kennmore WCW range has bullseye shooting matches starting at 7pm every thursday. Lights go on when it gets dark. Cool setup, and you can't shoot worse than me!

Right now it's shoot what you got, but we will do 22 in the summer/fall. Great practice for accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top