JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What is the matter with you guys?
Look at any Receiver that is store bought and you will see the name of the company that made it, the city and state and a Serial number. That makes it
legal. It's on every damn gun built. If you are a bad guy, then fine do what you want. But if you want to stay within the law and not have trouble down the road
it's not a big deal. If you don't want to register it, then don't. But at least make it
somewhat legal. None of us are getting off this rock alive, when we go some
one is going to end up with it. If there is a serial number on it, they can sell it
and can register it then.
Actually your statement is partially false. I own factory made firearms that have no serial number. I have Winchester made firearms with no serial number they were never serial numbered when made. Nor were a lot of firearms made prior to 1968.

Thats for gun manufacturers. What does that have to do with home built firearms?
Correct. đź‘Ť

PMF's require only a serial number. It's treated and recorded as a gunsmith customization and marked down in the FFL's A&D record with MFG listed as, "PMF". That does not designate them as newly manufactured firearms. It's simply a uniform designation determined by the alphabet for A&D recording purposes.

Taking in frames or receivers only will list frames as "pistol" caliber "multi" and receivers as "other" caliber "multi". I say... if you choose to comply... keep it as generic as possible. YMMV

Last Edited:
So I have not payed any attention to this so far as I have no home made firearms but I do have factory made firearms with no serial numbers. Are those required to be defaced? With a non factory serial number?
If it falls within the exemptions, then no. IE., antiques or mfg'd prior to Oct 1968, you're golden.

So I have not payed any attention to this so far as I have no home made firearms but I do have factory made firearms with no serial numbers. Are those required to be defaced? With a non factory serial number?
Not if they're pre 1968 or you can pass them off as such. I am wondering how much patina I need on a Poly80 frame to get that pre 1968 look:)

Hu?? Was the stay on M114 overturned or you're just betting it will be by then?
I'm not betting on anything. We haven't heard yet if the court is going to expedite the Arnold v Kotex (Harney County) appeals hearing. If they do, Tony is guessing it will go on the calendar in late summer or early fall. If they don't expedite, not until perhaps November of December. Those are rough guestimates.

It's in HB 2005.

Section 7 (g) "Purchaser" means a person who buys, leases or otherwise receives a firearm or unfinished frame or receiver from a gun dealer[.]; and (h) "Unfinished frame or receiver" has the meaning given that term in ORS 166.210

(2)(d) The gun dealer shall, by telephone or computer, verify that the purchaser has a valid permit-to-purchase a firearm issued under section 4, chapter 1, Oregon Laws 2023, and request that the department conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser and shall provide the following information to the department:

Remember, this not only applies to unfinished frames and receivers, it applies to ALL firearms.

Breese-Iverson, along with the rest of the house members, stood on the capitol steps and told everyone that they were starting a fund to sue the state over HB2005. Each one of the house members donated $1,000 from their campaign funds. Neither Iverson, nor Helfritch will answer any calls or emails asking about the status of the lawsuit. For those of us busting our butts to get people to vote, I consider their silence a slap in the face. Really makes it tough when leadership is essentially giving us the middle finger.

So if 114 is written into 2005, and 114 is blocked unconstitutional. Does that mean 2005 cant be enforced either?

This is like show and tell, you show me yours and I'll show you mine (and arrest you).........people just need to STFU about what they have and what they're doing with them. Trust the people you trust.

So if 114 is written into 2005, and 114 is blocked unconstitutional. Does that mean 2005 cant be enforced either?
Correct. A provision pursuant to another statue/law that is stayed is for all intents and purposes moot.

However, that is not to say that our overlords wouldn't still attempt to enforce that provision, regardless. If we have learned anything... what the law says has little bearing on what they actually will or will not attempt to do. They could still jam folks up since there is really no one to stop them from doing so, nor hold them accountable for any illegal action against the citizenry.

The whole idea of attempting to serialize after Sept 1 is, in and of itself, rather foolish. Who in their right mind is going to self incriminate and create paper trail evidence confirming that they were in possession of an "illegal" frame or receiver??

Last Edited:
This is like show and tell, you show me yours and I'll show you mine (and arrest you).........people just need to STFU about what they have and what they're doing with them. Trust the people you trust.
or just dont bend over. I guarentee you if anyone came rolling up to take my weapons. My family slips out the back and bloodshed ensues.

In case anyone has a piece of aluminum they would like to have coated, and don't want to take it somewhere for cerakote, a good do-it yourself option is Alumahyde. Brownells has a really good video series on how to get the most out of the process. I'll be using it on my outboard motor.

Harbor freight has punches.

"00001" for every single one of them

Then you can sit them right next to the amnesty SBR's.
This. 100%. Takes 5mins. Punch "SN00001" then "SN00002" and so on. Its irrelevant anyway, none of the politicant follow any laws so.... but just so a cop wont get their panties in a bunch.

This. 100%. Takes 5mins. Punch "SN00001" then "SN00002" and so on. Its irrelevant anyway, none of the politicant follow any laws so.... but just so a cop wont get their panties in a bunch.
You'll probably get off lighter with none and claiming ignorance of the new law than non verbally conveying to a LEO that you are aware of it... and think them complete morons that are incapable of identifying what is a lawfully applied SN in compliance with the alphabets guidelines for proper SN numerical formatting.

But good luck with that, Dodger! :D

When I had mine done, I asked. the ffl said that since it's registered to his ffl I'd that if it is found they go to him to figure it out and that I just needed to keep the serial written down in case it was ever stolen.

So I just recorded what he engraved for posterity.

When I had mine done, I asked. the ffl said that since it's registered to his ffl I'd that if it is found they go to him to figure it out and that I just needed to keep the serial written down in case it was ever stolen.

So I just recorded what he engraved for posterity.
Doesnt the FFLs serial number include a code to their license to manufacture?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top