JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure if still current, but ATF used to say: If you made it for sale, you needed a mfg license. If you made it for yourself, then later decided to sell, no license needed. Stamp makers name, city, state, and number before selling.

Bruce

If an FFL serializes it and logs it into their books it can be transferred as any other firearm. You will notice new additions on the 4473 for PMF.
I believe an FFL only needs to engrave a portion of their FFL number along with a made up serial number to make it transferable. This should also be applicable if HB2005 passes to make your nonserialized frames, receivers or firearms legal.

I believe an FFL only needs to engrave a portion of their FFL number along with a made up serial number to make it transferable. This should also be applicable if HB2005 passes to make your nonserialized frames, receivers or firearms legal.
Yes, one of the HB2005 revisions also required the company name as well which is above what the ATF required. The FFL number gives you this, but it went to show you that lawmakers don't have a clue :p Right now HB2005 though may not make it through the Senate given the walkout.

Here are the legal specs from the ATF:

Just my guess but the issue of transferring PMFs will come down to what the grandfather clauses are in any laws that are passed.

Could an 80% blank be serialized by an FFL without becoming a firearm under federal law assuming no steps were taken to process it beyond 80% completion?
No. My understanding is any step that takes it over 80% to be a firearm it becomes a firearm even if it only stays at 81%.

So from what I can gather because I also want to get my homemade rifles serialized.

Oregon has no provisions, unlike california for "easily" serializing or applying for a serial, California which decided to allow people to contact and fill out a specific form just for this purpose.

The atf website has specific rules and information as far as I can tell but it all requires you to list your ffl code in the number generated meaning that you either need to be an ffl or get an ffl to do this.

And contacting local (Oregon) gunsmiths has probably been the most difficult !@#$%show in really understanding that nobody is prepared for this.

It would be a major move for compliance if the process was made at least somewhat non convoluted....lol

The last revision of the law I read said you need the manufactures name and the serial number engraved per atf spec before Sept of 2024. The specs are very clear how the serial number is formed, and the depth. If this is a plastic receiver a metal plate will need to be fabricated and set into it in some way that can't be easily undone.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top