JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Then you need to take a close look at the cluster f that is the Chetco Bar fire in the Brookings area.

This is a fire that started in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness over 6 weeks ago and could have been stomped on in about 3 days with aviation assets, but hell no, they had to let it run in the wilderness and now it is over 100,000 acres within 4 miles of the City of Brookings, in the county of Curry and both are ill prepared to do anything other than hope they can stop this.

The entire Incident Management Team was replaced with a new team this last Wednesday and this was a mere foot note in the InciWeb reports, but is something I have not seen in over 30 years of following wildland fires. There clearly was some kind of problem that precipitated this replacement. You did not hear a damn thing about this in the media.

It is clearly a political thing. If they had prosecuted this fire correctly from the start, this whole situation would not be happening. The fact that this fire is now the #1 priority nation wide speaks volumes. If the fire reaches Brookings and you start loosing structures, there will be political hell to pay,and a lot of it should fall on the state governor and her failure to stop this threat.

South Coast Lumber in Brookings has lost thousands of acres of harvestable timber and thousands of potential harvests down the road. This is going to be a huge blow to the local economy there, what is left of it after the Feds shut down timber harvests and let the fuel loads build.

How the hell could you expect the government to affect any kind of infrastructure protection or reestablishment if the amount of resources they have and are throwing at this fire have produced 0% containment after 6 weeks ?? i have fought wild land fires, I have fought structure fires..you do not f around with them. You throw everything you have at them to start with. You can send everybody who is coming home if you do not need them. The beast will get you unless you get it first.

That is an area that has had it's economic azz kicked time and time again. We have family there, I have ran those hills and rivers, and farmed those fields. Isolated from the major areas and forgotten by the governments, the people are a tough bunch who don't much care for a lot of law enforcement and government interference, but the land and people of Curry County have been screwed by the Oregon government.

One last question to pose...how the hell is there over 320,000 acres in Oregon on fire, more than all other states combined, and no end to the problem in sight ??

If a situation where 320,000 acres are involved, and they cannot get a hand on that how would they handle some type of region wide natural disaster ?? Case closed.

End of rant.

Good post. I wish everyone and their homes do not get effected by this. How much man power is on this? The smoke is strong in the valley.

I was thinking about all the homes while at work today. Hoping no one's home gets destroyed.

Thus the fallacy of not being individually prepared. The masses expect that government will be there to save the day...
Thank you for posting this it is a great reminder to complete our preparations.
God bless and protect those in harms way.

How much man power is on this? The smoke is strong in the valley.

I was thinking about all the homes while at work today. Hoping no one's home gets destroyed.

There are over 1,600 fire fighters on this fire,and over 400 pieces of equipment. They have been using aviation assets, but the smoke behavior has grounded most of them the last two days. There have been 7 homes lost I believe to this point, mostly up in the Carpenterville Rd areas.

Could it be that same type of situations that occurred in the conservative states during a liberal administration?

The cards in Houston haven't been delt yet, but if the pattern is what I think it is; liberal states are currently at the last "udder" and the American people are paying for it.

Just a thought.

Could it be that same type of situations that occurred in the conservative states during a liberal administration?

The cards in Houston haven't been delt yet, but if the pattern is what I think it is; liberal states are currently at the last "udder" and the American people are paying for it.

Just a thought.

I would hope not, but we all know that politics dictate how those things go. If so, in this case a staunchly conservative area of the state is paying for the politics of 3 counties 300 miles away. Pretty much normal for Oregon politics.

As far as the Houston area goes, this speaks for that, these people were rescued shortly after this photo went viral. So sad.

KOMO News on Twitter

DIQ1FS4UQAAONM_.jpg

I haven't really been following this fire, thanks for putting this up @CoastRange57 . But I did catch that worthless governor on the television smiling, and patting herself on the back at how well the eclipse was handled. What a piece of work that woman is. She makes my skin crawl.

I think CoastRange is on to something!

"South Coast Lumber in Brookings has lost thousands of acres of harvestable timber and thousands of potential harvests down the road. This is going to be a huge blow to the local economy there, what is left of it after the Feds shut down timber harvests and let the fuel loads build."

That paragraph tells me everything I need to know about WHY the fire was allowed to get as large as it is!?!?!?!?!?!

Antifa from outside the government . . . ANTIPUBLIC from within!?!?!?!?!?
Sheldon

Like I've always stated, I do not trust ANY GOV agency or politicians because they use their position to better themselves and their party. Round them up, tar & feather em & let's right this country!!!
Politicians and government employees are a crime gang that makes the MS 13 gang look like a Boy Scout troop.

The Forest Service has the ability to call up resources to contain a fire as soon as it starts. Air bombers, heli tankers, hot shots. etc. they drag their feet on purpose.
Forest Service and B.L.M. policy, is that they want to allow the fire to burn. Letting nature be nature. Also seasonal firefighters only make money when there is a fire thru hazard pay and overtime, they are unemployed in the winter.Unfortunately when they do this, it gets out of control, where it cannot be contained. Their priorities are not the same as ours.. If structures and lives are lost, So be it. Firefighting is not like it used to be a decade ago, where they go out and actually put the fire out, and slash burn in the winter and spring when it is safe.

Then you need to take a close look at the cluster f that is the Chetco Bar fire in the Brookings area.

This is a fire that started in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness over 6 weeks ago and could have been stomped on in about 3 days with aviation assets, but hell no, they had to let it run in the wilderness and now it is over 100,000 acres within 4 miles of the City of Brookings, in the county of Curry and both are ill prepared to do anything other than hope they can stop this.

The entire Incident Management Team was replaced with a new team this last Wednesday and this was a mere foot note in the InciWeb reports, but is something I have not seen in over 30 years of following wildland fires. There clearly was some kind of problem that precipitated this replacement. You did not hear a damn thing about this in the media.

It is clearly a political thing. If they had prosecuted this fire correctly from the start, this whole situation would not be happening. The fact that this fire is now the #1 priority nation wide speaks volumes. If the fire reaches Brookings and you start loosing structures, there will be political hell to pay,and a lot of it should fall on the state governor and her failure to stop this threat.

South Coast Lumber in Brookings has lost thousands of acres of harvestable timber and thousands of potential harvests down the road. This is going to be a huge blow to the local economy there, what is left of it after the Feds shut down timber harvests and let the fuel loads build.

How the hell could you expect the government to affect any kind of infrastructure protection or reestablishment if the amount of resources they have and are throwing at this fire have produced 0% containment after 6 weeks ?? i have fought wild land fires, I have fought structure fires..you do not f around with them. You throw everything you have at them to start with. You can send everybody who is coming home if you do not need them. The beast will get you unless you get it first.

That is an area that has had it's economic azz kicked time and time again. We have family there, I have ran those hills and rivers, and farmed those fields. Isolated from the major areas and forgotten by the governments, the people are a tough bunch who don't much care for a lot of law enforcement and government interference, but the land and people of Curry County have been screwed by the Oregon government.

One last question to pose...how the hell is there over 320,000 acres in Oregon on fire, more than all other states combined, and no end to the problem in sight ??

If a situation where 320,000 acres are involved, and they cannot get a hand on that how would they handle some type of region wide natural disaster ?? Case closed.

End of rant.

Good rant! Several points tho:

The groups that sued on behalf of the spotted owl managed to shut down logging to a huge extent. The same people now populate ODF and USFS. Management of the land is out. They have adopted letting nature take it's course. Wilderness in particular is "let it grow, let it burn, let the bugs eat and the owls nest". Management is nonexistent and since logging is gone the only tool left to renew the forest is fire.

Incident management team assignments change when the fire is upgraded to a higher level. Plus since the federal promulgation of the 14day rule, management teams are subject to being removed at 14days also. I was a provider of helibase communications trailers on PNW wildfires from 2010 to 2014... not very long but those were the rules in play during my time. Not the same as in the old days I guess.

Kalmiopsis burned dramatically somewhere around 1988 or 89... not sure but lots of damage and lots of money involved. Sad to see my home from 1987-1993 threatened.

Year after year when we had logging in E Or, a small fire would start and loggers were forbidden to put them out. Then these small fires would often become huge while waiting for the "professionals" to show up. If the guys did go put it out, the loggers could be fined or would have their next bids refused. Wilderness, forget it!!! Don't even go there. The eco boys have it all sewed up, yes?

Once the wildfire season is in swing, priorities come into play for resources. Ground crews and equipment shortages are common enough now with the 14day rule, but for aviation you have the additional problem of it being a finite resource... there are only so many, often they are already in use on another fire and would have to be transitioned to the new fire, and they are not allowed in the wilderness either. Only hotshot crews can go in (can't even use chainsaws). This until it is declared a federal emergency.

Yes, it is big money. Yes we have management problems. Yes, it goes back to Congressional oversight or lack of. Yes it goes back to eco freaks... remember when they had loggers pulling all the trees and gravel out of the streams... then later the loggers had to put it all back.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: National alphabet orgs are a bunch of dummies for the most part!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top