JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember the various "Tire Houses" we used in the Army for live fire exercises and grenade practice.
They seem to work for walls and such.
With that said....
Many tires were also shredded by such usage as well....
Also worth considering...tires burn.

I suppose when SHTF , you gotta use what you got.
Soooo.....while it would work for shelter...they wouldn't be my first choice.
Andy

Just brainstorming here:

Maybe they could be used for constructing firing positions in strategic locations around a property. Filling them with soil would take care of the mosquito breeding problem and increase resistance to penetration by projectiles.

Filling them with soil would take care of the mosquito breeding problem and increase resistance to penetration by projectiles.
This was how the "Tire Houses" were done in the army.
If I remember right...most walls were two or three rows of tires filled with sand / dirt.
With that said...it has been a while since then.

In any event ...it was deemed safe for live fire and grenade practice .
The interior row did get ripped and shredded up from being shot and hit with grenade fragments.
Andy

This was how the "Tire Houses" were done in the army.
If I remember right...most walls were two or three rows of tires filled with sand / dirt.
With that said...it has been a while since then.

In any event ...it was deemed safe for live fire and grenade practice .
The interior row did get ripped and shredded up from being shot and hit with grenade fragments.
Andy
Mmm all those steel belted cords hanging out…. makes a great exfoliant!

Start by filling those tires with sand and gravel and they become bullet proof. the filled hoops also don't collect water and bugs. and the thick walls hold there temp so once warm they stay warm without much extra heat. these work out like sod houses on the prairie. DR

They make better planters than walls. The only walls I would use them for are retaining walls. I have built with tires before and they are a PITA because you have to fill and compact each level before you can start the next. If you do not the tires will settle over time and start to lean in undesirable directions, and could just fall over if you built them high enough.

But as planters they are fine. One truck tire is pretty good for one tomato or similar. Fill the bottom sidewall with some pea gravel and fill the rest with soil and you have a built in water reservoir. If you have problems with burrowing critters you can put wire mesh down under the tire to keep things out. If you want more depth stack them up two or three tall to put the plant at a more comfortable working height. I have seen fruit trees grown in the large tractor tires, so if you can find someplace willing to give you some old ones of those you can have a pretty sweet garden setup, so long as you like that kind of aesthetic.

But I would skip them as a shelter, too much work to make them useful. At best you can use them to shore up a foxhole or trench, but as others have said you really want to or three levels thick, all packed with dirt to make them reliably bulletproof. And that is enough work that you kinda want it set up before SHTF, but then you look kinda silly with a bunch of tire trenches before you need them. . . Maybe if you make your trench system look like a nice branching container garden?

They make better planters than walls. The only walls I would use them for are retaining walls. I have built with tires before and they are a PITA because you have to fill and compact each level before you can start the next. If you do not the tires will settle over time and start to lean in undesirable directions, and could just fall over if you built them high enough.

But as planters they are fine. One truck tire is pretty good for one tomato or similar. Fill the bottom sidewall with some pea gravel and fill the rest with soil and you have a built in water reservoir. If you have problems with burrowing critters you can put wire mesh down under the tire to keep things out. If you want more depth stack them up two or three tall to put the plant at a more comfortable working height. I have seen fruit trees grown in the large tractor tires, so if you can find someplace willing to give you some old ones of those you can have a pretty sweet garden setup, so long as you like that kind of aesthetic.

But I would skip them as a shelter, too much work to make them useful. At best you can use them to shore up a foxhole or trench, but as others have said you really want to or three levels thick, all packed with dirt to make them reliably bulletproof. And that is enough work that you kinda want it set up before SHTF, but then you look kinda silly with a bunch of tire trenches before you need them. . . Maybe if you make your trench system look like a nice branching container garden?
Do you EVER make a short post that doesn't require chapter markers? :p

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads