JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm 42. Due to some unfortunate life changes, a little anxiety and the non stop stupid rain I am looking for something to keep my mind and hands occupied. I have been passing by a guitar shop daily on walks with my dog and it has my wheels turning. I've never really played an instrument before in my life. I've also never been in my early 40s before and have noticed a few changes that come with not getting younger. Is after 40 too late to learn? Any chance of becoming an almost ok guitar player at this point?

It's never too late to learn an instrument. I took string violin lessons with my kids, then they wanted to take actual ukulele lessons.

Years later all three kids play different string instruments. I can still play violin and ukulele.

I'm 42. Due to some unfortunate life changes, a little anxiety and the non stop stupid rain I am looking for something to keep my mind and hands occupied. I have been passing by a guitar shop daily on walks with my dog and it has my wheels turning. I've never really played an instrument before in my life. I've also never been in my early 40s before and have noticed a few changes that come with not getting younger. Is after 40 too late to learn? Any chance of becoming an almost ok guitar player at this point?
Uhhhh, never to late!

Learning something new keeps the mind fresh…

No such thing as "too old" to learn, though you may need to work harder to get your fingers to move the way you want to. Been playing guitar for 20 years, shoot me a PM if you need a hand.

I've been a piper for over a decade and joined a pipe band in college. Many of the new students were individuals in their 60s and they ended up being good players (pipes and/or drums). If you have time to practice and lots of patience you can learn pretty much any instrument (barring any physical limitations).

I taught myself to play guitar at age 42. Check out Marty Music on YouTube. Guitar buying became a habit just like guns for me! 10 years later I still enjoy guitar and wished I started sooner.

I taught myself to play guitar at age 42. Check out Marty Music on YouTube. Guitar buying became a habit just like guns for me! 10 years later I still enjoy guitar and wished I started sooner.
Guitars are another very expensive habit, especially electric. The guitar itself, cables, pedals, amps, cabinets, recording gear... it turns into a rabbit hole.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews