JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm running 3 freezers, a 7hp air compressor, milling machine, lathe, welder an other various tools daily along with other household power items an I average 110 a month.. hunting season around 140 but the meat locker runs from Sept until Nov mostly non stop with all of families critters an fall butchering of sheep.
What HVAC systems do you use? How many Kwh are you getting for the $110?

I was comparing our lowest usage months and we are using between 800 and 1000 kwh a month. That means heating and cooling is probably about half the usage in the high months.

There are only six states less expensive than WA ($99 average monthly) for electric, Oregon is $106.
Lots of variables in this however. My home (Vancouver) averages about $110 monthly, all electric with heat pump , 80-gallon water heater and two occupants.

Buddy just got hit with Inslees "green fee" on his last NW natural bill. extra $60 for two months. Now that is insane.

You would think they would wait until they had us all converted over to electricity before doing bs like this.

I had a condo a while back, outside outlets in car port were on my circuit. Bill reached $300+ one month.. effin construction workers working on the unit next door used our power in the shared car port.

I was wondering if we had some shared wires with next door condo, where the used car seller lives. I looked back at useage history and it appears to be all ours. There was a period of over a year when the next door condo was vacant and our usage was comparable. The main culprit is heating and AC usage. Our condo is not well insulated.

Pellet Stove, Water Heater, Large freezer, Small freezer, Large fridge, Dishwasher,number of electronics and lights (mostly LED) that stay on all the time. two adults Occasional electric heater house is a bit over 1600 sq ft in addition my shop is on the same meter No heat but about 20) Flouresent and LED lights and some 1 and two HP Motors that get run maybe a total of an hour to hour and a half a day last month was $246. In the summer non heating months is about $150.

We have a smart meter.

Nope, you do not use a lot of electricity. I do. My average is around 2700Kwh. However I should say that I have a horse ranch with water heaters in every water trough and two wells. House is all electric as well. We do heat the shop with LNG or it would be a tad bit higher.

Our hot water and heat are gas. Everything else is electric.

Two years ago we averaged $65 a month for PGE. It's now $120.
Gas used to be $60, now it's $90.

Our house is 1960 square feet, just my wife and I. Gas furnace, gas stove and water heater. Two refridgerator freezers and a chest freezer. All LED light bulbs and all appliance's are energy efficient. Electric bill for March using 388 kWh was $83.57. Now gas on the other hand went way up $94.12 for the same month. Like WAYNO said used to be, oh the good ole days.:s0054:

All electric, heat pump, 80 gallon water heater set to 125.
the last monthly bill was $124 in Vancouver.

Last house 24 years ago was gas water and heat and the two bills added together were substantially more than my all-electric houses. The only thing good about gas is the instant heat coming out of the registers.

The base board heaters use tons of power to provide the heat.

I would look into upgrading the window AC units to window heat pump units.
They should pull less power to create the heat.

we have a slightly bigger house and the usage is comparable to ours. 1978 construction, new windows, more insulation a year ago, heat pump. no gas. wife does leave the bedroom window open 24/7 except on holidays and i work from home 4 days out of the week. i usually do not put in the crawlspace foam covers over the vents in winter. except for the bedroom we keep it between 68 and 70 year round.

new insulation isnt that much. couple grand after all the "rebates" they offered. i just calculated a roi and save about $700 a year, so 3 year return on investment.

Before I retired 2 years ago I swapped out my 55 gallon electric hot water heater for a 40 gallon electric hot water heater, bought a dorm room size refrigerator, and bought some 1000 watt parabolic heaters.

I also searched for electricity discounts for low income retirees, and I get a 40% discount on my electricity.

In the winter my bills are usually around $75, and in the summer around $35.

I use one air conditioner in my bedroom, and only heat my bedroom, and use parabolic heaters in my bathroom and kitchen. You'd be surprised how just a beam of heat at your body can keep you feeling warm.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews