HELP! I need 6-48 screws

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Repairs' started by Generator, May 3, 2010.

1. Generator

Generator Member

6   0   0
    As many of you probably know, for absolutely no good reason, a lot of older guns and scope mounts were tapped for 6-48 size screws which you can't find outside of the gun-world.
    The side mount I bought for my Savage 6a had no screws, and the ones that were filling in the holes on the rifle are tiny.
    Rather than pay 10 bucks in shipping for a dollar worth of screws, does anyone know where to get some in Oregon or Washington, a GunSmith who would be willing to ship them for a few bucks.
    Thanks!
  2. mattt

mattt Member

35   0   0
    have you tried a bolt and screw store like Fastenall, Tacoma Screw, Industrial Fasteners Inc? Dont know if any of those are around Bend though.
  3. Generator

Generator Member

6   0   0
    We've only got stuff like ACE and HomeDepot around here, and the one store that might have gun screws is closed today.
  4. jordanka16

jordanka16 Active Member

50   0   0
    6-48 screws aren't really used outside the shooting world, it is highly unlikely you will find them in a regular store or machine shop. Your best bet is to go to a local gunsmith or gun store and try and find them there.
  5. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Member

2   0   0
    Shooter's Pro Shop at Nosler would probably have some they could spare you. When I was working there, they had a cup full of extra scope screws just laying around. Go see them, at the very worst they will charge you for them.
  6. dobeman

dobeman Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

52   0   0
    Brownells. I also got a 6-48 tap.
  7. darkminstrel

darkminstrel Well-Known Member

16   0   0
  8. Generator

Generator Member

6   0   0
    I always forget about Nosler since they are in the high-end hunting side of shooting that I'm not.
    Thanks for the wake-up call. I'll be talking to them soon!
  9. numbnutz

numbnutz Active Member

91   0   0
    Hey generator I know it may be a bit of a trek outside Bend but there is a Fastenal in Redmond by the airport. I can't remember the street name but if you turn right at the light where Lowe's is it's down there on the right.
  10. spectra

spectra Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

89   0   0
    Not really sure but the 6-48 number seems to be in my mind from the RC car days. Not really sure but try a hobby shop they might have something.
  11. huntpotter

huntpotter Negotiator Bronze Supporter

240   0   0
    Brownells sells a tray with all the set screws and scope mount screws you could need. most gun counters at sporting goods stores has one. They usually sell them for a buck or two, per screw. I don't know about Bend, but you might call a couple gunshops/gunsmiths.