JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to a business which shall be left unnamed and dropped off 2 firearms for work one was a laser stipple and the other was a cerakote job. I was told 1-1.5 weeks for the stipple and 4-6 for the cerakote. I am now 3 weeks in on the stipple job and so far they haven't even gotten to the point where they are ready to put it on the laser. When I called 2.5 weeks in they explained that they had brought their laser to the sportsmans show to show off their work and products so my project was on hold despite me paying 100 percent before hand. I have already missed out on a multi gun match because my pistol is in the shop. I understand them being busy and don't mind the wait I just think they shouldn't get there customers hopes up on time frame. It also makes me worry about the cerakote job, I leave for Iceland for an extended period of time on the 22nd of March and I made abundantly clear that if it would take longer I would come and get it done once I was back as I didn't want it sitting at the shop for weeks and now I am worried about it. Am I being unreasonable?

Go get them now so you know where they are, revisit once you get back.
That is one option this post was more about how I was annoyed they gave me a time frame and did not hold to it. I will leave it there for another 2 weeks and if nothing changes and I don't get an update I will go get them.

Find the business review section in the main forum list and look at what others have said.

I'd look and base my actions somewhat on that.

4-6 weeks for cerekote seems a little excessive but may indicate their backlog as well.

This is a common theme when we pay for the product or service 100% in advance. I realize sometimes you have to but the result is the person doing the work for you has less motivation to complete the task since there is no incentive.

This is a common theme when we pay for the product or service 100% in advance. I realize sometimes you have to but the result is the person doing the work for you has less motivation to complete the task since there is no incentive.

Yep! Its like a car dealership. Guy comes out and wants to show you everything as soon as you set foot on the lot. You go inside to negotiate and they have bottled water and cokes. As soon as you agree to a deal, you sit by yourself for three hours.

The legal in me, get it in writing. If they said a few weeks or so on one or the other, you get into that he said she said.
Get it in writing, when, what, how much, anyone not wanting to do that move along. Same bases for a gun sale.
As for the case at hand, I wouldn't be giving the time. But that's me. If they have not touched it. Id just go get it and get a refund.
But I also have zero tolerances from businesses. from Amazon to a small burger joint. I have owned businesses, still do, and consult on them as well. Businesses today have a mind set they are doing you a favor. If they do not care enough to do the job as described, then I wouldn't not give them the business. I know you didn't want to name drop, but no matter how this concludes, letting others know in reviews helps everyone.

Find the business review section in the main forum list and look at what others have said.

I'd look and base my actions somewhat on that.

4-6 weeks for cerekote seems a little excessive but may indicate their backlog as well.
to be fair it was a full custom project with complex patterns and stuff their artist had to make stencils for

to be fair it was a full custom project with complex patterns and stuff their artist had to make stencils for

I they made the time quote, doesn't matter if they are painting a cathedral. Most people have a boss, what if you told your boss ya I'll get it done when I feel like it or have time? You paid good money that was the reasonable part, this is a simple contract case, you paid they didn't deliver, contract is now invalid. ( PS however if you accept the delay then that creates a whole new contract you are willing to accept)

I they made the time quote, doesn't matter if they are painting a cathedral. Most people have a boss, what if you told your boss ya I'll get it done when I feel like it or have time? You paid good money that was the reasonable part, this is a simple contract case, you paid they didn't deliver, contract is now invalid.
the thing that really kind of miffed me is they pulled their laser out of commission for the sportsmans show and put all the projects they had on hold. also their artist was supposed to get back to me with a design superimposed on my gun to show me what it would look like before they started getting stencils ready and I have heard nothing despite the guy I talked to saying he would get the artist to email me. I don't mind waiting for good work but I wish they could have been a little more accurate on the time quote.

the thing that really kind of miffed me is they pulled their laser out of commission for the sportsmans show and put all the projects they had on hold. also their artist was supposed to get back to me with a design superimposed on my gun to show me what it would look like before they started getting stencils ready and I have heard nothing despite the guy I talked to saying he would get the artist to email me. I don't mind waiting for good work but I wish they could have been a little more accurate on the time quote.

I hear ya, but as mentioned. This is a simple proposal and acceptance agreement. If the buyer you accept the changes they make
then you really can not be unhappy about that choice. I know it sounds unfair, but in small claims that's how it would be viewed, you accepting the time delays. No matter how you feel means it was delayed. and It means you accepted the new time definition.
The two choices are accept the delay, or get said firearm. ;)

Communication is key. As I have found out. Call them, stuff happens.

I want a laser engraver!
The people in question do laser engraving and even slide porting. also I have called them multiple times and they have given me the runaround twice the first time at 1 week they said it was due to be on the laser the next week and end of week 2 they say they pulled their laser to bring it to the local sportsman show and all of their laser projects were on hold until the show was over which they hadn't mentioned anything about when I dropped off my gun and paid 100 percent on the stipple.

Unfortunatly, this very issue has become commonplace, especially in the world of Smith's, especially the good ones!
Here is a thought ( take it for what its worth)
A good Smith is worth his weight in gold, and if he has established him self and his reputation, he is going to assure continuing business. The problems come when said Smith gets such a good reputation for quality amd work ethics he becomes overwhelmed with work, fearing that if he turns work away, he will run out of income before he runs out of work. The savvy will find the balance and be able to continue!
My issue here is a verbal contract was made, and no communication, or an attempt to clear things up.
We have a review section here, should you choose, you can post a review for this business. You can also read reviews posted by others of this business to see what memebrs here have to say!
As to what to do. I would go and get my guns and explain your issues to them, a reasonable business owner will learn from this, while an unreasonable one will blame all sorts of things for his failure to do whag he said he would in the te frame he promised! According to your post, you have been reasonable in your expectations, now its time for you to get your guns and find a different Smith!

I had a similar experience with Tornado Technologies, they estimated 3-4 weeks to cut and thread a barrel. It took them nearly 4 months. They finally did it the day I showed up unannounced to pick them up and get a refund.

4 months of waiting to have the guy perform the task in two hours.

Get your guns back or demand the service be completed is my advice.

A good smith keeps in touch with you if things are dragging out. @Velzey has had lots of my guns in his capable hands and has always kept me up to date on them. One of the best in our area.

GO GET YOUR GUNS!! In my experience it only gets worse!
Do this right away ^^^
Cancel the transaction on your card (we hope) or get your cash back !
Be as nice as possible, but cuts ties with these people as soon as you can.

NEXT TIME DO NOT PAY 100% UP FRONT FOR WORK TO BE DONE !!!
Rookie mistake.
And use your credit card whenever possible or you deny yourself a layer of protection.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews