JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apologies if there is another thread for this. Has anyone flown with a firearm recently through PDX? If so, how was the process? Any tips and tricks if applicable would be appreciated! Thanks fellas.

Apologies if there is another thread for this. Has anyone flown with a firearm recently through PDX? If so, how was the process? Any tips and tricks if applicable would be appreciated! Thanks fellas.
It's been a minute. Follow TSA and airline procedures. Use a non-TSA lock and plan on being there at least an hour earlier than normal.

Every lockable point will need a lock on it, our pelican's have four locking points so we needed 8 locks. Be ready to have it inspected before they watch you lock it back up and take possession of it.

Contact the airline you are flying with and ask them what their procedures are. Then follow said procedures. At minimum you will need a hard case for what ever guns you are taking.

I have flown with firearms before and always had the guns (usually two) in a hard case, and my ammunition too. I had to verify at the ticket counter that the guns were unloaded, then placed the certifying card inside the case and closed it up. I've always used TSA approved locks and never had an issue.

3 weeks ago from PDX to Phoenix on Southwest. Informed the counter person of a firearm in my check on bag, filled out the card with my contact info & away went the bag on the conveyor belt, to the man behind the curtain. I was asked to stay nearby for 10 minutes in case there was an issue.

In Phoenix the Southwest person carried the bag to the TSA station where I stood by and observed.

No issues or hassles at either end. Unlike the TSA idjit in El Paso 15 years ago.....another story for another day.

I do it all the time. Easy.

My best advice is to print out the TSA rules for flying with a firearm in addition to your airline's rules. Fold them up and put them under the foam in your case — if on the off chance you get an agent who doesn't know what to do, you can simply pull out the rules and keep things moving quickly. It's saved me quite a bit of time in the past, though I rarely need them.

3 weeks ago from PDX to Phoenix on Southwest. Informed the counter person of a firearm in my check on bag, filled out the card with my contact info & away went the bag on the conveyor belt, to the man behind the curtain. I was asked to stay nearby for 10 minutes in case there was an issue.

In Phoenix the Southwest person carried the bag to the TSA station where I stood by and observed.

No issues or hassles at either end. Unlike the TSA idjit in El Paso 15 years ago.....another story for another day.
I fly into / out of PHX all the time and this mirrors my PHX experience basically every time. In PDX when you drop off, normally they have you wait 10 minutes just in case, but I've not had them need me.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews