JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless you own something that isnt allowed there like a shortbarreled shotgun, machinegun, or other restricted nfa items. Just pack them up and go. No registration no transfers necessary or even in existence.
also get your wa chl if you dont already have one that allows you to carry there.

THIS.

Thanks guys. I have no restricted firearms, so I guess I'm 'good to go'.

I'll print a copy of your replies, just in case I need to show LE. <]~)

I have a Oregon CHL. I read here somewhere that there was a Sheriff in Vancouver Washington that was meeting
Oregon residents with CHL's at a pizza parlor and issuing them Washington CHLs.

Does anyone know if this is still happening?

Thanks guys. I have no restricted firearms, so I guess I'm 'good to go'.

I'll print a copy of your replies, just in case I need to show LE. <]~)

I have a Oregon CHL. I read here somewhere that there was a Sheriff in Vancouver Washington that was meeting
Oregon residents with CHL's at a pizza parlor and issuing them Washington CHLs.

Does anyone know if this is still happening?

Here are the WA gun laws, Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

They are pretty easy reading and reasonably straight forward. Bookmark them after reading so you can reference them.

Not sure how a Sheriff was issuing CHL's at a pizza parlor.......... To get a WA CHL you simply go to the office, get fingerprints, fill out the form, pay the fee and wait no more then 30 days. It is that simple.

Aas far as I know, Washington do not issue non-resident CPL's. Oregon do issue them (I have one). Oregon have staunchly refused to reciprocate or in any other way recognise the carry permit of any other state. IF that sheriff was truly issuing permits from a pizza parlour he is violating the law... and should be suitably dealt with. Maybe he was somehow issuing Utah permits, but those require an 8 hour class..... I'd suggest this is a fairy tale.

Washington permits are easy... though you have to establish residence within the state, I believe for ninety days. Proof of that residence will be required... WA DL will likely work. Once the application and fees are done, they do fingerprings, photo, signature, and you've got your permit in the post. It must be mailed (per state law) to you within 30 days of application. King County consistently and deliberately wait until day 29, the rats. Thurston County had mine in hand in ten days. I was impressed. New sheriff these days, though, and I'm not sure the new practice.

As far as I know, Washington do not issue non-resident CPL's. Oregon do issue them (I have one). Oregon have staunchly refused to reciprocate or in any other way recognise the carry permit of any other state. IF that sheriff was truly issuing permits from a pizza parlour he is violating the law... and should be suitably dealt with. Maybe he was somehow issuing Utah permits, but those require an 8 hour class..... I'd suggest this is a fairy tale.

Washington permits are easy... though you have to establish residence within the state, I believe for ninety days. Proof of that residence will be required... WA DL will likely work. Once the application and fees are done, they do fingerprings, photo, signature, and you've got your permit in the post. It must be mailed (per state law) to you within 30 days of application. King County consistently and deliberately wait until day 29, the rats. Thurston County had mine in hand in ten days. I was impressed. New sheriff these days, though, and I'm not sure the new practice.

As an Oregon resident with my non-resident WA CPL I must deny the above statement. I think the waiting period was extended but no more hoops to jump through than a resident license.

If you have a license from another state and you are not a WA resident you don't need a WA permit.

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license &#8212; Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

[2004 c 148 § 1.]

nwcid and Liquid silver, thanks for setting me straight. Both bits of news are good to know. I must say, as I larn more about laws in various states nationwide, I am more and more pleased with Washington's common sense and reasonable laws..... with two exceptions. No silencer use (a bill introduced to change that... which needs our support), and the fact that the Department of Licensing maintains a permanent record, along with the local law enforcement agency, of every handgun sold through an FFL.

If you have a license from another state and you are not a WA resident you don't need a WA permit.

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license &#8212; Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:

(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.

(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

[2004 c 148 § 1.]

WA does not honor OR permits. I believe it's due to the mental health clause listed in (ii).

Concealed Weapon Reciprocity

Thanks for all the info, guys.

I know Oregon doesn't recognize any out of state CHLs, and I'm still not sure if Oregon issues to out of State residents.

I do know that there is legislation being introduced this month that would have Oregon recognize neighboring border state licenses,
which if passed, would likely make our Oregon CHL's recognized in other states as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if ya got one CHL, good for the entire country AND that with it, no back-rounds had to be done every time you buy from a FFL??

Just wishful thinking out loud! <];~)

I'm still not sure if Oregon issues to out of State residents.

Yes, OR issues non resident licenses. It's May Issue as opposed to Shall Issue and a letter stating your reason for wanting an out of state license is required but as a WA resident I have had no problem getting or renewing my OR license.

http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm

Sheriff Palmer from Grant County Oregon will issue Oregon non-resident licenses. He comes up to Vancouver, Washington to a Round Table Pizza and will take fingerprints and pics with his portable machine. You can take a Maryland online safety course that meets his requirements (MD Firearms Safety Training). Print out the PDF and take it with you. As far as a Washington CPL visit any police station or Sheriff's office in Washington and apply the cost is $55.25 for 5 years.

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license — Reciprocity.

[2004 c 148 § 1.]

HOLD ON!
Before everyone reads this and takes it the wrong way.
THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL STATES

It only applies to the states that Washington has on their list and OREGON IS NOT ONE OF THEM
It only applies to few states that Washington recognizes, those states are

Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Utah

So really nothing around here except Utah.

However, getting a Washington CPL is pretty easy for a nonresident, just got to fill out the paperwork, pay the fees and wait. It is recognized by a lot of states, which is the reason I got my Washington CPL. Well worth it if you travel in the Northwest

Sheriff Palmer from Grant County Oregon will issue Oregon non-resident licenses. He comes up to Vancouver, Washington to a Round Table Pizza and will take fingerprints and pics with his portable machine. You can take a Maryland online safety course that meets his requirements (MD Firearms Safety Training). Print out the PDF and take it with you. As far as a Washington CPL visit any police station or Sheriff's office in Washington and apply the cost is $55.25 for 5 years.

How do I go about participating in this?

Hello everyone. I'm new here, I searched and searched both here and on WA .gov web sites but can't seem to find an answer to my questions. I want to put together my first "retro" AR15 that I want to look like an old M16. I've been doing some reading and old M16s had greenish-gray triggers, selectors, and hammers but all current production lower parts kits contain black colored parts. I see online auctions for old M16 full auto parts that have the correct color but have had the full auto parts ground off so they cannot operate full auto. When I read the descriptions of the parts, it sounds like the "hook" has been ground off the hammer, what they call a "shark fin" ground off the selector and that is it. I guess the M16 trigger has the back end open with a "U" profile and I don't think I have seen anyone modify a trigger in any way.

My question is, can old M16 hammers, triggers, or selectors be modified to be legally used in a semi-auto only AR15 in WA? I don't see this specifically addressed. I have seen several posts about M16 bolt carriers, it seems they are fine in WA evidenced by Colt selling new rifles in WA with them today.

Thanks

Hello everyone. I'm new here, I searched and searched both here and on WA .gov web sites but can't seem to find an answer to my questions. I want to put together my first "retro" AR15 that I want to look like an old M16. I've been doing some reading and old M16s had greenish-gray triggers, selectors, and hammers but all current production lower parts kits contain black colored parts. I see online auctions for old M16 full auto parts that have the correct color but have had the full auto parts ground off so they cannot operate full auto. When I read the descriptions of the parts, it sounds like the "hook" has been ground off the hammer, what they call a "shark fin" ground off the selector and that is it. I guess the M16 trigger has the back end open with a "U" profile and I don't think I have seen anyone modify a trigger in any way.

My question is, can old M16 hammers, triggers, or selectors be modified to be legally used in a semi-auto only AR15 in WA? I don't see this specifically addressed. I have seen several posts about M16 bolt carriers, it seems they are fine in WA evidenced by Colt selling new rifles in WA with them today.

Thanks

Perhaps you'd be better off to start your own thread in the Rifle's and Shotguns forum as this one is about CHL's and CPL's.

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Thanks

PM board member coctailer. He does NFA weapons manufacturig in WA. I'm sure he would have a detailed answer.

Are there any laws restricting the trade or sale of legal ammunition, person to person, interstate between Washington and Oregon? I do not see ammunition mentioned in RCW 9.41, is there some other Fed or Wa statute? Does Oregon have any such restrictions?

Thanks, MM

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads