JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quick question!

A costumer of mine was telling me today that a wash. co. officer told her that the Utah CWP is not good in Or.? If thats the case than why can i go and get one here in Or.?

Thanks!

Oregon has no reciprocity wiht any other state, nor will it recognise the permit from any othher state. Talk to your legislators, many have tried to change this, but it has not yet got enough traction to go anywhere. Not enough have pressed the matter as important to them.

Oregon may issue permits to residents of bordering states who have the permit in their home state. Some counties are more eager to issue these than others, which will flatly deny them. Do your homework before applying.

If you have your Oregon permit, you will also have the certificate for the class you took. With that, and your state of residence permit, the Florida Department of Agriculture will issue you a permit by mail... cost is about a hundred bucks no travel, no class, just pay them. They want fingerprints and a passport style ohoto... maybe twenty bucks. Go to the FL Dept of Agriculture website (google it), find the link, request the packet by mail, including the signature cards, at no cost. Easiest multistate permit out there. And I think it is good for one state more than Utah's state, but some states will only recognise permits issued by the bearer's state of residence. I think Florida gives you 31 besides your own. Utah only 30.
By the time you've paid for the Utah class, all the paperwork signature and fingerprint cards, taken the time and travel for the class, taken the exam, and all that, I figure the Florida one is less burden.

Why can't Oregon change their laws to be like Kentucky's? They recognise the permit issued by any state to residents of that state.

Thanks for the link!

So why do Or. residents get Ut. permit?

And am i reading this right?

Honors OR Permit:
Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont

If thats the case, it looks like the Or. permit is good in these states too?

I have a Or. CHL. And i thought that it was only good in Or. I am 99% sure i have seen Ut. classes in Or. It sounds like a waist of time and money!

Thanks for the link!

So why do Or. residents get Ut. permit?

And am i reading this right?

Honors OR Permit:
Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont

If thats the case, it looks like the Or. permit is good in these states too?

OR residents get Utah or FL permits so they can carry in states that do not recognise Oregon's permit but DO recognise Utah's or Florida's.

and no, sorry, you do NOT read that last bit right.. other states recognise Oregon;s Oregon recognises NO ONES. Their AG has even refused approaches by Washington's AG to establish reciprocal agreement, so both states will recognise each other's permit. No go.

Like I said, talk to your legislators. This needs to be fixed. It is stupid, and infringes upon our Constitutional right to keep and bear in other states. Leave Oregon, your Second Ammendmant right to carry goes poof. WRONG. Oregon needs to come out of the dark ages. Its the nannie mentality in overdrive. Sorry, the OSP will NOT protect you in Texas..... they do a poor enough job of it in Oregon.

I have a Or. CHL. And i thought that it was only good in Or. I am 99% sure i have seen Ut. classes in Or. It sounds like a waist of time and money!

Some states honour Oregon's permit... Kentucky, Montana, Idaho. Some Oregon folks who travel a lot get either Utah or Florida permits which are recognised by a lot more states. It isn't a waste of time and money if you travel a lot, or in certain states that honour UT and FL, but not OR.

and yes, you have seen Utah classes in Oregon. Florida accepts the same class Oregon requires, so no class required if you still have that piece of paper. Sportsman's Warehouse and their replacement company in the Portland area hold them, I think Fisherman's in delta Park, maybe some other larger gun shops....

Yes: In Oregon, with Oregon Concealed Permit.

NO: In Washington (I am only 70% sure of this, I am not from WA)

Washington.... NO NO NO

if patrons have to be 21 years old to be in that area, NO ONE can carry, open or concealed. Except employees with knowledge and permission of owner, and owners.

Apparently the legislatoors felt that if guns were anywhere near hootch, they'd jump up and go make whoopie together. It needs to be changed...... until then.... at least we can carry in restauratns that serve liquor if the liquor is less than fifty percent of the revenue generated there, or in that part. SO.. Applebees in the restaurant section, fine.. but the one carrying cannot consume ANNY alcohol. In the "bar" or "lounge" aree, the part that is sectioned off and you have to be 21 to sit there, nope... leave it in the car. Or sit at the food tables.

.......at least we can carry in restauratns that serve liquor if the liquor is less than fifty percent of the revenue generated there, or in that part. SO.. Applebees in the restaurant section, fine.. but the one carrying cannot consume ANNY alcohol. In the "bar" or "lounge" aree, the part that is sectioned off and you have to be 21 to sit there, nope... leave it in the car. Or sit at the food tables.

I see no laws that talk about 50% or not being able to consume alcohol? On top of that how does a person know who much of a business gets it revenue from liquor?

Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

The only thing I can find the law saying is, (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; orhttp://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

So the only restriction is areas controlled by liquor board. But you can drink all you like at dinner in the main part of the restaurant. With that said drinking and guns is not a good idea ;)

Washington.... NO NO NO

if patrons have to be 21 years old to be in that area, NO ONE can carry, open or concealed. Except employees with knowledge and permission of owner, and owners.

Apparently the legislatoors felt that if guns were anywhere near hootch, they'd jump up and go make whoopie together. It needs to be changed...... until then.... at least we can carry in restauratns that serve liquor if the liquor is less than fifty percent of the revenue generated there, or in that part. SO.. Applebees in the restaurant section, fine.. but the one carrying cannot consume ANNY alcohol. In the "bar" or "lounge" aree, the part that is sectioned off and you have to be 21 to sit there, nope... leave it in the car. Or sit at the food tables.

That one always amuses me. In THIS section of the resturant I'm legal and law abiding but in THAT section of the resturant I'm a danger :s0131:

So if you do have your CHL in Oregon, can you have alcohol in your bloodstream while you are carrying? Or is it like drinking and driving, totally illegal?

So if you do have your CHL in Oregon, can you have alcohol in your bloodstream while you are carrying? Or is it like drinking and driving, totally illegal?

As long as you're not doing anything with it (or at all) that would endanger someone else or yourself, or would involve you normally getting arrested, you're fine.

Pretty much, even though it isn't a good idea to get drunk with guns, you are in the clear to have a drink and still be packing.

Just don't do anything that might get you busted in the first place, otherwise they might end up taking it when they nab you and of course you're carrying privileges would be affected either way you're charged (except not guilty or a citation)

Personally. I carry 24/7, even going to bars with friends, while I don't get sloshed I will have a drink or two. The only time I have not carried ever since I got my CHL is when I had to go into WA County Sheriffs Office to change my address, and then I felt very naked, even though I didn't have reason to think there'd be a threat.

Stupid question of the day.......

There isn't a waiting period when buying a handgun in OR, is there? Been a while since I have bought a pistol and was recently talking with some WA friends that said they had to wait. TIA

No :s0155:

Your smarter than I am. I actually asked that while at the counter and you should have seen the look on their faces! I should have just walked in with a big dunce cap saying "here's stupid". My waiting period was 15 mins and all the time I spent fighting the let go of my hard earned cash.

Stupid question of the day.......

There isn't a waiting period when buying a handgun in OR, is there? Been a while since I have bought a pistol and was recently talking with some WA friends that said they had to wait. TIA

Oregon doesnt have one unless something comes back on the background check that needs to be checked out further.Washington has a 3 day waiting period unless you have you're cpl.

I've been researching and found no direct answer to my questions on this site. I'm wondering if in being a minor (20) I can purchase a handgun from a private party. If so what do I have to do to make it happen? Also, is there any other way to transfer the handgun into my name than by using a FFL? For instance could I do the same thing at a sheriff's office?

I believe you can purchase from a private party. My knowledge of Washington gun laws isn't great so I wouldn't put much faith into what I have to say. You shouldn't have to transfer a private party sale from a resident of the same state.

I'm wondering if in being a minor (20) I can purchase a handgun from a private party. If so what do I have to do to make it happen? Also, is there any other way to transfer the handgun into my name than by using a FFL? For instance could I do the same thing at a sheriff's office?

Yes you can, all you have to do is pay the private party their price and receive your firearm. Washington has no firearm registration, so the 2nd part of the question is irrelevant. If you did want to put it into your name for whatever reason that a bill of sale wouldn't suffice to cover :)huh: beats me why you would need/want to:huh:)
You can't do that unless it's through a FFL and you are over 21.

So in short, find a party, buy the firearm, get a bill of sale just to CYOA and you're fine. Just keep in mind being under 21, you have different restrictions on transport of your firearms.

I'm a Oregon resident and own a number of firearms, both rifles and handguns.

I plan to move my residence to Washington State.

What must I do to legally take my firearms with me?
Unless you own something that isnt allowed there like a shortbarreled shotgun, machinegun, or other restricted nfa items. Just pack them up and go. No registration no transfers necessary or even in existence.
also get your wa chl if you dont already have one that allows you to carry there.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top