JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
were going in circles now...
many different reasons to leave a gun at a shop while a background is being completed.
sometimes its the shop policy, sometimes its easier for the buyer and seller to not have to schedule another time they can both be there, many reasons.
I don't see it as circuitous, I see it as digging to a root-cause. If an unnecessary policy or action is the source of the problem, then getting rid of the problem-making policy/action is the best solution. Finding another time is a buyer/seller problem, not an FFL problem. Seems like the FFL is overly-involving themselves in the process where that's not strictly necessary.

I'm curious, what ended up happening, if you're able to talk about it and such?
The FFL called me a few weeks after the buyer was put on hold. The FFL told me to come and get the gun. I did not. I already had the money.
I called the purchaser and told him I sold the gun because I needed the money and am not a bank. I told the purchaser to resolve it fast or I wasn't gonna have the ability to return the money in the near future.
I felt bad for myself, the buyer and the FFL.
The buyer continued to arm twist the FFL and they gave in and delivered to him the firearm. The buyer had no criminal record, he was adamant about this. Apparently, his name or something was similar to a bad guy of record.

I don't see it as circuitous, I see it as digging to a root-cause. If an unnecessary policy or action is the source of the problem, then getting rid of the problem-making policy/action is the best solution. Finding another time is a buyer/seller problem, not an FFL problem. Seems like the FFL is overly-involving themselves in the process where that's not strictly necessary.
dont use FFLs who hold on to the firearm during the background check, problem (for you) is solved. I prefer the FFL hold the Firearms, I dont want to schedule with the buyer/seller twice to receive a firearm waiting on a background check for a private party transfer is a PITA enough.
the state is wrong in continually passing more and more laws. laws become a tax, that people lie to themselves about to convince themselves they are doing the right thing, just like paying taxes, people lie to themselves to convince themselves they are helping others when in reality they are only helping prop up the govt, who lets face it, is horrible with funds.

Last Edited:
I'm sure this guy is willing to hold your gun
gunhugging.jpg

Maybe they are victims of their own success: they just don't have the space to hold all the firearms people want to transfer? Last time I was in there, their long gun racks were basically full up... more so than I had ever seen before. With a large inventory on hand and record queue lengths over the last year, i could see not wanting to keep person-to-person transfers on hand.

As many of you know I am a pretty consistent buyer and trader of firearms. I went in to purchase a gun from a fellow member on here. We met up at Money market pawn. Pretty solid place. Anyway I started to fill out the 4473 and Peter the owner explained to me there " new rule" to which I replied "what is the new rule?" Apparently they will no longer hold the firearm for you. Now this is a HUGE problem. Luckily I am always instant approval. But the problem remains. For example, two parties meet up to complete a transfer buyer fills out paper and is put in the que. Firearm goes home with seller. Seller and buyer have to meet up for a second time with the FFL in order to complete the transfer. I asked him if this rule was strictly for his establishment he said because people are apparently failing background checks and because you have to complete a transfer back to the original owner a significant amount of people are just abandoning said firearm to which the FFL is now stuck with possession. What do y'all think of the situation? I see both sides but man does that suck for avid buyers and traders!
Why did you have to fill out 4473 for a private sale?

I used to use these guys a lot for sales to oregon guys. Now I'm not. Hassle.

I called ahead and told them I was coming down to do a ppt and they did not make me aware of this new rule over the phone. It was a ridiculously low-dollar item and I had to drive back to WA with it and wait 4 days to drive back. 120 mins total of drive time LOL! cost more than I made on the gun.

What's strange is when I was there, I overheard the older Asian guy (who I think is the owner) talking to the younger Asian guy (I was eaves dropping) and they were going back and forth about how the ATF was coming later that day to do an inspection and to make sure everything was correct. They both seemed a little agitated (granted I would be too if ATF was coming to inspect my biz)

The older white gentleman was doing our transfer. Once they told us I had to hold onto my item, I said "okay well i guess that's fine, I'll leave you with the accessories just give me the money today since it's yours. Ill come back when youre approved" The buyer gave me the money, and the older Asian gentleman came over a little stressed and said "please, don't exchange money in the store just do that outside since we don't know what will happen with the background check. Please do that somewhere else away from the store"

I think they are stressed about something legal, not sure what though.

I called ahead and told them I was coming down to do a ppt and they did not make me aware of this new rule over the phone. It was a ridiculously low-dollar item and I had to drive back to WA with it and wait 4 days to drive back. 120 mins total of drive time LOL! cost more than I made on the gun.

What's strange is when I was there, I overheard the older Asian guy (who I think is the owner) talking to the younger Asian guy (I was eaves dropping) and they were going back and forth about how the ATF was coming later that day to do an inspection and to make sure everything was correct. They both seemed a little agitated (granted I would be too if ATF was coming to inspect my biz)

The older white gentleman was doing our transfer. Once they told us I had to hold onto my item, I said "okay well i guess that's fine, I'll leave you with the accessories just give me the money today since it's yours. Ill come back when youre approved" The buyer gave me the money, and the older Asian gentleman came over a little stressed and said "please, don't exchange money in the store just do that outside since we don't know what will happen with the background check. Please do that somewhere else away from the store"

The ATF hammer could be ready to drop in our area? I don't know if they consolidate audits in a given area or spread them out all over at random. I would guess consolidation in one area is more likely.

What date was this when you overheard that conversation?

Having guns in your store that are not in your inventory books, that are being held pending transfer, are going to get hard looks. If the BRC is denied, that's a CF for everyone involved. If there's anything else going on, such as tax evasion, they are screwed. Don't think for a second that the ATF doesn't report inventory to the IRS.

Having guns in your store that are not in your inventory books, that are being held pending transfer, are going to get hard looks. If the BRC is denied, that's a CF for everyone involved. If there's anything else going on, such as tax evasion, they are screwed. Don't think for a second that the ATF doesn't report inventory to the IRS.
I get it, but these guys have always been holding firearms for my buyers especially during covid when oregon was seeing 2 week delays.

I'm sure that spot has seen failed checks often and has been for a long time, just based on the area it's in and the type of ppl I see going in there when I'm in there. My theory is that something has changed with their situation, possibly legally

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews