JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Out of the many times I've purchased firearms from members on this forum I've had only two issues. Both times I've failed to inspected the firearm in detail before agreeing to the purchase/trade. The most recent one I found out had a broken ejector...something I didn't even look at during the trade....That'll teach me.

On a good note, NW Custom Firearms is taking care of me and I'm looking forward to getting my firearm back. Been wanting to head in there for a while and now that I've been in, I wish they were located in Oregon.

Live and Learn!

I wanted to give NWCF a chance, and I emailed them about drilling and tapering a 20" barrel for an A2 birdcage. Instead of simply saying they couldn't do it, they said that "its better to chop the A2 sight post off, (which they offered to do) and mount it under a freefloated hand guard, which would be more accurate."
I didn't ask them for design input on my gun, and I don't see how they would have fixed the gas block to the barrel anyway WITHOUT drilling and tapering. They don't take set screws.

By the way, the A2 does consistent 2" groups at 100 meters with bulk Lake City, and no optics.

Sorry to go off topic. Just recently frustrated by the shop you mentioned.

Last Edited:
Out of the many times I've purchased firearms from members on this forum I've had only two issues. Both times I've failed to inspected the firearm in detail before agreeing to the purchase/trade. The most recent one I found out had a broken ejector...something I didn't even look at during the trade....That'll teach me.

On a good note, NW Custom Firearms is taking care of me and I'm looking forward to getting my firearm back. Been wanting to head in there for a while and now that I've been in, I wish they were located in Oregon.

Live and Learn!

This is much more a mea culpa on the part of the seller. Either he sold you a gun that he himself did not shoot or was familiar with, or he intentionally took advantage of you. Whichever the case, he should have informed you.

I agree, but it is still my job as the buyer to do my due diligence. If the seller knew then shame in them. If not, not much can be done. Heck, i didn'teven know it had the problems until i took it in to NW Customs.

I was looking at a 1911A1 in a local gun store last weekend.
Asked to break it down and look over the markings.

Was told no. It's a consignment gun.
I could have pushed it as I'm friends with the owner. But just smiled and told the guy ''Your new here''. :D

That and I already spotted non original parts. ;)

I agree, but it is still my job as the buyer to do my due diligence. If the seller knew then shame in them. If not, not much can be done. Heck, i didn'teven know it had the problems until i took it in to NW Customs.

I don't buy that blame yourself thing, it isn't like you had a chance to fire the gun before you bought it. I noticed that 3 out of 5 of the guns I buy private sale here in AZ are broken, the number actually rises if I buy them at a gun show. That has given me an opportunity to practice and improve my amateur gunsmith skills, I even opened an account with brownells and they started giving me a discount

I can see chalking it up to lack of due diligence on the part of the buyer, but really those of us who buy a gun unfired are relying on the honesty of the seller, and that seems somewhat shady unless the gun is unfired.

Sometimes the broken/worn bits are inside where even a quick takedown won't show an issue. I bought a Para Warthog from a forum member that had a worn extractor, you had to take the gun all the way down and pull the extractor to see. Luckily Para sent me a new one free.

I also bought a 22lr revolver from another member that function checked fine and it worked for a short while... Then dual action mode stopped. It was a worn main spring.

Joe, I have seen a lot and have come in contact with some incredible people.

Some of them are just not honest.
I trust in those who are the most believable and have lost in doing so.
But when friends are involved dealing with good people,
Lets just see.
SilverHand

I got a 1911 missing a safety detent and spring. So easy to spot yet I had failed to notice.

Contacted member in the hopes it was just in their spare parts bin.. They said no.. Ive still yet to send it in to have one fitted (Taurus).. As Im not sure about their tolerances versus other 70's series 1911's.

Live and learn.. And inspect as much as possible.

I got a 1911 missing a safety detent and spring. So easy to spot yet I had failed to notice.

Contacted member in the hopes it was just in their spare parts bin.. They said no.. Ive still yet to send it in to have one fitted (Taurus).. As Im not sure about their tolerances versus other 70's series 1911's.

Live and learn.. And inspect as much as possible.

Thanks for the heads up.
Silver Hand

I guess I've been fortunate - so far, I've never bought a used gun with a problem. I do look things over first, but I'm no gunsmith, so I may not catch something like a worn extractor on a first glance at a sale. But then again, I've dealt far more with NWFA members with positive feedback, so I don't feel the need to worry too much. And to my knowledge, I've never passed a problem onto someone else - that's just not how I roll. I would get a gun repaired before I sold it if it had a problem, just not something I'm going to pass along knowingly.

Having bought , sold and traded a lot of guns to amass my collection of muzzleloaders , I can say it pays to do your homework when buying a used gun.
I have not passed on a gun with issues , without pricing it accordingly or letting the buyer know about them.
Also I let the buyer know just what work I have put into the gun as well.

No doubt we all get a dud trade now and then and I'm sure that there are unscrupulous traders out there.
But most of my trades have been excellent , as most people are not looking to sting you in a deal.
I do think that the better trader you are , the better trades will come your way.
Better as in not knowingly trading or selling a problem gun without disclosure on your part.
Andy

I tell folks here that if you have a problem with the gun I sold you to call me!

If you didn't blow the gun up doing something stupid. I will just buy it back.
I don't need the negative feedback on this site. :s0002:

Maybe what's why I haven't sold a gun since the new laws kicked in. :s0092:

I was looking at a Daniel defense AR I was trying to buy from A guy here on NWFA. We agreed on a meeting place that was a half way point for both of us, each had to drive 30ish miles. Guys shows up and we chat for a few because we both have veteran plates on our vehicles. When we finally get down to business I ask him if it's ok for me perform a functions check on the rifle, he says what's that. Well for someone who just told me he was a Marine for 10 years I was shocked. After explaining to him what it was he says no I can't o_O I politely say I'm no longer interested in the rifle and start to walk back to my truck. He calls out to me and says ok you can. I said it's ok I'm no longer interested, at this point I had pegged this guy as a liar and untrustworthy because someone who was a Marine for 10 years knows how to perform a functions check. He started making small talk with me and apologized, then said please do the check. Against my better judgment I agree and he pulls the rifle out of the case. Well it's NOT a DD AR, it's a Rock River and it's doesn't even have a bolt carrier group in it :mad: I hand it back to him and without saying a word get back in my truck and drive home. Well by the time I get home he's called me 5-6 times and had already left me negative feedback:rolleyes: Also I wanted to add this was PRE SB 941 :p

Last Edited:
That is weird. I've sold guns mainly to friends. Only once I sold to a stranger through an FFL. I've never had a complaint and just can't see the reason to selling a broken gun without disclosure to some one that knows how to contact you?

I did have a bad used car experience that the law wasn't interested in unless I took matters in my own hands. You know, that would be wrong. Apparently lying isn't:confused:

I have been into this gun trading a long time, and when I sell a gun, I stand behind it. If a feller finds an issue I did not know about, I'll buy the gun back. And I'm up front with that guarantee. I wont sell a problem gun to anybody, unless the problem is declared and the gun is sold as a project or sold as a parts gun. So no, I do not believe a buyer assumes all responsibility.

In fact, to preserve my integrity as a seller, I may even refund a sale when a buyer has nothing more than cold feet. This year, I sold a shotgun on this board, described as very nice, but still, used. I provided photos of the shotgun. I was hiding nothing. I shipped the gun to an out of state FFL. After the transfer, I contacted the buyer to see if he was satisfied. And he was not. There was a little speckling on top of the receiver that he thought was hidden during the purchase, but went on to say there's nothing he can do about it now. Hold your horses there pilgrim! Before he said another word I told him his refund was in the mail, including his transfer costs both ways. He was blown out of the water. I think he liked, and even wanted to keep the shotgun. But ya bellyache about my integrity even once, and the deal is now through. Cost me a lot to prove a point, but such is the cost of being a good Scout. On the other hand, I would never consider selling this same person anything, ever again.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews