JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Double-barrel for Defense?

• Yes! This is the best option! Fill my eyes with that double vision ...

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Good, not great, but I would be hip to that kindly tip. Double your pleasure or something.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Can be pressed into service, but not ideal.

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No and I don't care what this book or a sitting POTUS thinks.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Don't really consider shotguns the best for this application, so, I guess no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if it is a lamp shotgun and I'm enjoying the great outdoors.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
And a basket full of legos you can scatter while you retreat to reload!

Legos: Living Room Area Deniability Weapon System!
Or plastic army men....:D
When I was a young lad...mom once stepped on one of my Infantrymen..
After the cussing was done...she went and maneuvered into a full counter attack that would have been the envy of General Nathan Bedford Forrest himself...
Boy , did me and my troops get a wuppin' that day....:eek: :D

Did me well though....When in the Army...I always did leave a clean battlefield....:D
Andy

I don't think there's a man alive who could take a simultaneous hit from both barrels. Also, you could have a slug in one and buck in the other. For a well practiced person, I don't see why this can't be an impressively effective tool.

Does anybody remember the "He shot my arm off!" guy who tried to rob a store with an AR15 (i think it was can't remember)? The store owner fired one shot with a shotgun and the guy went running with the flubber arm.

Does anybody remember the "He shot my arm off!" guy who tried to rob a store with an AR15 (i think it was can't remember)? The store owner fired one shot with a shotgun and the guy went running with the flubber arm.
Here's an excerpt from a YouTube video of it:

T shirts the townspeople made up:
9B6B5109-53A9-474F-8C5B-D89EFD45CCC6.jpeg

Last Edited:
If I remember correctly in the mockumentary "Yellowstone" it was a double barrel that young Tate used to protect his mother (Monica) from her assailant. IMHO He handled that shotgun well under such stressful conditions, if that had been a pump or auto his level of training may not have proven adequate. Tate 1 bad guy none... :D

Use what your comfortable with.
:s0092: WTH no shotgun emoji?

I've told this story before but this seems like a time and place to repeat it. I had put up a bad guy target for my wife to shoot her 20ga coach gun at. I see her moving back and forth then shooting at the head. I mentioned to that a body shot was an easier,bigger target. She said nope if I bad guy comes in she is going to shoot his face off. Her moving back and forth was to find the distance the 4 buck pattern was exactly head size.

I've told this story before but this seems like a time and place to repeat it. I had put up a bad guy target for my wife to shoot her 20ga coach gun at. I see her moving back and forth then shooting at the head. I mentioned to that a body shot was an easier,bigger target. She said nope if I bad guy comes in she is going to shoot his face off. Her moving back and forth was to find the distance the 4 buck pattern was exactly head size.
Damn good woman, there!

A double-barrel would never be my first choice, nor my second or third.
That said, how many guys spend hours and hours practicing all kinds of scenarios like mag changes, clearing a failure, shooting with the weak hand, and just general target work?
And/or doing it with firearms that have had all kinds of "slicked-up" work done to them?
Some of the cowboy shooters take a Stoeger "coach gun"; the hammer springs get replaced with cut-down 1911 mainsprings, the safety gets made "non-automatic", the chambers get polished with the mouth edges smoothly beveled/rounded, and the cross-bolt spring gets lightened.
One flick with your wrist and the barrels drop, another flick and the empties fly out, your off-hand has already grabbed two new shells, they go in at the same time, a quick action and the barrels are closed.
Ready to rock.
From watching some CAS shooters, it appears that if one spent as much time practicing with a coach gun as they did with some other guns they could shoot and reload pretty d**n fast.
Says me who is slow. :rolleyes:

Well, no one said what gauge the double would be in. How about a 4-bore? Though, admittedly, I think we've crossed over to light field artillery territory at that point. :s0155:

1704591695972.png

I think I shared before, but I have seen what a .12 gau to the face is capable of, or not! We had just cleared a house and were moving through toward the next when a tango came through the door, BALAM, a .12 gau #4 buck to the face, turned his face into Pizza, but didn't kill him, might have put an eye or two out, and shredded him, BUT, it wasn't lethal, a couple more shots to center mass finished the job, and ended the suffering of that dude!

I think I shared before, but I have seen what a .12 gau to the face is capable of, or not! We had just cleared a house and were moving through toward the next when a tango came through the door, BALAM, a .12 gau #4 buck to the face, turned his face into Pizza, but didn't kill him, might have put an eye or two out, and shredded him, BUT, it wasn't lethal, a couple more shots to center mass finished the job, and ended the suffering of that dude!
This is why I have LONG told people I will not use shot in my home shot guns. It makes a nasty looking but very shallow wound. That #4 buck to the face left the guy alive shows the risk. Also why I have long told people who buy those wheel guns using .410 that those loaded with shot are NOT a good choice for trying to stop someone who may shoot at you.

How about a double barrel firing 2 HESH slugs at once? I'd like to see that on a realistic ballistic dummy. I've also thought about loading up a 20 round drum with mix of HESH slugs, regular slugs, and #00 buck. That woudl be a heck of a mag dump. :p

Here's one HESH round on ballistic dummy head:

8BF1B689-57F7-4D4C-BB2F-E8DA57CBA4E8.png
EF36F07D-B8DE-4947-84F0-6BE9EC2E7EB0.png

I've seen a few different studies that indicate defensive shotgun fights average 1.3 to 1.6 rounds fired, so many with one shot, some with two, and a few with more than that. I would take a double barrel that functions every time over a semi-auto that frequently malfunctions turning it into a single shot (see these at the "tactical' shoots frequently). Not my personal choice but would not think less of someone who chooses this option.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top