JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
3FF1924F-FF65-4CA6-98EF-1543F1A02CA3.png
55E74B0E-DA9A-430E-B8A6-35A3AAE67B00.jpeg

Let's say there was a catastrophe and you were forced to evacuate an area on foot with one long gun. Would your rifle have a scope or just a red dot/iron sights ?
I'm still trying to envision a "catastrophe" that would force me to unass my property, left me alive, but somehow made all my horses/pack animals unavailable. I'll get back to you about rifle optics once I've got the first part figured out.
:s0004:

Over the years I've shot between 500 and 1000 squirrels using an old Weaver fixed 3x wide angle scope.

You'd be a fool not to have a scope on a little game collecting rifle.

When I've shot squirrels with friends, their semiautomatic rifles flat out suck compared to my lever action Marlin. You usually only get one shot when it comes to small game, so you better have the most accurate rifle available.

Without electricity I can live off of small game. A little meat in the pot with some starch and vegetables, and I'm good.

When it comes to survival you better get some practice in. Figure out what you can eat within a few miles of your house.

I'm still trying to envision a "catastrophe" that would force me to unass my property, left me alive, but somehow made all my horses/pack animals unavailable. I'll get back to you about rifle optics once I've got the first part figured out.
:s0004:
Well, if you have time to prepare, and you have pack animals and all that, I'm sure you would take several guns, at least one of which would be scoped. The question is if something happens really quick with no warning and you have to leave temporarily and you can only carry one long gun, would that gun be scoped? How important is it that you have some sort of magnification?

Well, if you have time to prepare, and you have pack animals and all that, I'm sure you would take several guns, at least one of which would be scoped. The question is if something happens really quick with no warning and you have to leave temporarily and you can only carry one long gun, would that gun be scoped? How important is it that you have some sort of magnification?
Being you're surrounded by 60k people in Corvallis, you're under much different circumstances than others here living in rural locations. Like right now there's a wild turkey outside my bedroom window I can take a shot at if I want.

Last Edited:
On QD's... red dot with a 3X magnifier option and a 3x12 non powered scope. Flip up iron sights as well... obviously.

Considering only 1 long gun. It has to do double duty for self defense as well as a meat getter... indefinitely. Batteries don't last forever.

LR308 or M1A with 4-12 scope on QD mount with backup irons.

Most of my rifles have the capability to mount a scope, many have the ability to mount a Scout scope - LER, LPVO.

In general, whether for SHTF, or for hunting, my rifles would have a scope or other optic on them. The short range rifles - like the PS90, would have a 1X optic (red dot, prismatic, etc.), or at least a fiber optic sight. My eyes are slowly failing and I pretty much need more than plain iron sights for everything.

Most of my rifles have the capability to mount a scope, many have the ability to mount a Scout scope - LER, LPVO.

In general, whether for SHTF, or for hunting, my rifles would have a scope or other optic on them. The short range rifles - like the PS90, would have a 1X optic (red dot, prismatic, etc.), or at least a fiber optic sight. My eyes are slowly failing and I pretty much need more than plain iron sights for everything.
Even when I was young I preferred a scope over iron sights. When you're talking about lining up three points, verses two points, that's an easy choice. I'll take the crosshairs (or red dot) and the target.

I know some people have a problem with acquisition with a scope, but that's never been a problem for me. I had this one friend I would shoot with, and she could never acquire a target with a scope for some reason.

Over the years I've shot between 500 and 1000 squirrels using an old Weaver fixed 3x wide angle scope.

You'd be a fool not to have a scope on a little game collecting rifle.

When I've shot squirrels with friends, their semiautomatic rifles flat out suck compared to my lever action Marlin. You usually only get one shot when it comes to small game, so you better have the most accurate rifle available.

Without electricity I can live off of small game. A little meat in the pot with some starch and vegetables, and I'm good.

When it comes to survival you better get some practice in. Figure out what you can eat within a few miles of your house.
Damit all we got is gulls !

I'm a fat guy with bad knees, I don't think I'd be doing a bunch of walking. Though if it did come to it I'd just grab my M1 carbine and trust it's iron sights.

I know some people have a problem with acquisition with a scope, but that's never been a problem for me. I had this one friend I would shoot with, and she could never acquire a target with a scope for some reason.
With a scope, the target appears on a single focal plane? So you don't have to focus on two objects (as long as the scope is in focus for the distance at the target).

I am 70 YO, I have some cataracts, "floaters", a detached vitreous, and double vision from one eye aligned different from the other eye, requiring prescription glasses to compensate.

I used to have "eagle eyes"; when I was young I could see and focus on objects in the distance. Not anymore. Last check I still had 20-20, but one eye is not as good as the other and I have noticed issues. So I need help when shooting.

Well...'cause the question is about what my rifle has....
I have peep sights....no scope.
That works well for me...how I shoot and where I shoot.

However...
It really don't matter what or how I do things....

What does matter to you...is how you do things.
What works well for you and your situation...?
Whatever that is...do that.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews