JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a hogleg rubber band gun that had two of those wheels on it. I think it held about two dozen rubber bands. They banned them at work after I scared the bejeasus out our team's admin by blasting him in the hallway. He had this terrified look and reached down to his gut like he really thought he'd been shot. I later asked him if there was some trauma he'd been through (in which case I'd have felt kinda bad) but nope - he was just a poosie. A couple of days later we got a companywide email saying no water guns and no other "facsimiles" on campus from then on. šŸ™ Some people. :rolleyes:
Misery loves company

A black iron pipe that is nested in another black iron pipe. Those who know know.

Of course with the new law that black iron pipe is going to become more black iron pipe. It was a fun project but I don't need to be spending any money registering $15 of black iron pipe. Maybe I will make it into a fountain next.

But if anyone wants to play with their own black iron pipe, remember you have until September to do so. After that you have to register the black iron pipe, and that often costs more than the black iron pipe itself. If you are caught playing with black iron pipe after Sept 1st it will be a felony, and ain't nobody got time for that.
Unless you incorporate that black iron pipe project into a previously serialized frame or receiver. In that case you can continue playing with black iron pipe beyond September.

Last Edited:
Reconfiguring is the new creating until HB2005 goes away. Think about the people who take an old car and turn it into a hotrod. The VIN is the same but it's like having a new car.
'Reconfiguring' has been a thing for a while. Perhaps you have heard of the AR15?

Poosies gonna poosie. :)

The horrorā€¦ā€¦ the horror.
IMG_2352.jpeg

I had a hogleg rubber band gun that had two of those wheels on it. I think it held about two dozen rubber bands. They banned them at work after I scared the bejeasus out our team's admin by blasting him in the hallway. He had this terrified look and reached down to his gut like he really thought he'd been shot. I later asked him if there was some trauma he'd been through (in which case I'd have felt kinda bad) but nope - he was just a poosie. A couple of days later we got a companywide email saying no water guns and no other "facsimiles" on campus from then on. šŸ™ Some people. :rolleyes:
It probably would've been better to switch over to Sluggo, you know when somebody walks by and you slug him in the shoulder. :s0140:

But then I'd bet TPTB would classify that as physical abuse, damn puthies don't know how to have fun. :s0037:

Saw videos of people creating firearms out of just wood, metal clippings, and bullets. What I'm trying to ask is how did you know what parts were supposed to be and used and in which places?
Speaking only for myself....
Research...looking at ...taking apart...and working on muzzle loading firearms...both new made and antiques.
Then lots of practice of restoring old and antique firearms...both muzzle loaders and cartridge guns.
Followed by looking at the parts I had laying around after years of collecting , buying , selling and trading....
Then I put the pistol together.
Andy

Saw videos of people creating firearms out of just wood, metal clippings, and bullets. What I'm trying to ask is how did you know what parts were supposed to be and used and in which places?
As someone who is trying to get his hobby game up to the point where he can make a complete firearm from raw metal three is a lot to be said for mechanical aptitude. Guns are not hard, you can make a single shot one in 15 minutes without even leaving the hardware store. A repeating gun takes a bit more work, but can be done by anyone with basic tools and some dedication. Once you have that down basic semi-auto is not far removed. As with most things in life if you want to do it you just have to start doing it. If you do not think you know enough to do that you make the journey and the education the goal, and the completed work becomes the byproduct.

Now, of course, with firearms the biggest hurdle is not the actual work itself, the biggest hurdle is the law. Both fed and state regulators have put in place many legal pitfalls for hobby gunsmiths to fall into. Everything from barrel lengths, to grip configurations to serialization and documentation. One wrong step and it is a federal felony, and that is before we get to the part where there is anything that could be considered a "victim". If you want to make stuff yourself you had better first figure out if what you are making is legal and if there are any steps in that production process that would be considered or construed as not legal. That is a non trivial task, but it can be done.

And if you can get past all that, it is a fun and rewarding hobby. Every bit as much as hot-rodding, furniture craft or other mechanically inclined work.

Last Edited:
Last Edited:
Machining, fabrication, and mechanical engineering are legit hobbies that can take you a million directions. If you understand the mechanical aspect of moving parts, pneumatics/hydraulics, and basic physics, you can build just about anything. That's how things are invented to begin with. When you have compression in a confined chamber, you create the means necessary for a projectile to experience velocity, given the projectile has an open direction to escape the confined chamber. Combustion with no chamber and no barrel is essentially a firecracker. In a closed chamber, it's explosive... add a barrel, and viola, you have the means for a projectile. Now that you understand that, you have to figure out how to make the boom. Modern firearms use cartridges full of gunpowder with a primer that, when struck, ignite the powder and send the projectile out of the barrel. So creating modern firearms is simply finding creative and efficient ways to mechanically strike a primer when a trigger is pulled. Literally anyone can create a firearm out of just about anything.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top