JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a problem. The place I go to is called Forrest springs. You can see it if you scroll up above the points you marked. Awesome spot, beautiful views, and no one to bother you. There is a way to get down to the water that is absolutely beautiful.

Ok well I still have my doubts but here it is.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&encType=1&cid=1E444A30DEC1964E!168

This spot isn't perfect. There's really only enough distance to shoot handguns and plink with .22s and you do have to walk in a bit. If the link is working correctly the entrance is at #1. There's a gate and you have to haul your stuff down a forest road a bit. #2 is where other people seem to shoot. There is the usual trash, dead car, refridgerator etc. I have been hauling out small stuff with me when I go shooting. It would be nice if you would too. There are plenty of plastic bottles and brass/shotgun shells etc. that are easy to carry out. I prefer to shoot down at #3 or even farther out because I feel there is a better backstop, it is farther from the roads and I prefer not to be associated with loser trash dumpers. Even though shooters most likely didn't dump the old car or other big trash it makes us look bad when they are full of bullet holes. People will just assume that trash full of holes is from shooters.

If you go to this spot please be respectful. It is amazingly sad how much open land there is out here that is closed to shooting. This is the best, closest spot to my house that I have been able to find that isn't signed or I haven't been personally asked not to shoot on.

I plan on taking out more than I take in, but am wondering if I'm a little confused on the map or is it a little off?!?

Is the shooting place off to the Northwest of Tahuya Blacksmith Rd. just north of its intersection with Belfair Tahuya Rd? Just point me to the right side of the intersection and we'll get it from there.

Thanks to all of you responsible outdoorsmen.

I've re-quoted the original message and verified that the link does work. Does this answer your question?

The place out on Forest Springs Road is quite a ways further north.

I come from the other way so it's closer to me but I can see where you're coming from. I'm always looking for new spots to try out and enjoy since I cant shoot where I'm at now. The spots that used to be great closer by got trashed and shut down. I would hate to see that happen elsewhere.

Headed out there with the girlfriend today and it was a nice little location. There was only a small amount of trash out there including the fridge and old car but more was taken out then brought in. It is advisable to leave the rifle at home for this one. There is at most 15 yards to move about but has a good backstop. Also it is a bit overgrown compared to the aerial image on the map provided since there is an active tree far there. Avoid shooting too high on the burm since there is a road behind.

Question - I dont want to sidetrack but what is the etiquette if you make the drive out to a shooting spot and it's already occupied? Would have been a real bummer if one made the treck out there and had to wait for a couple hours.

I'm curious about the etiquette as well. Generally because guns are involved and these are people I don't know :s0131: if there's somebody in "my" spot I move on. But it would be lame to make that journey and be SOL because the pickens are slim so to speak.

I'm curious about the etiquette as well. Generally because guns are involved and these are people I don't know :s0131: if there's somebody in "my" spot I move on. But it would be lame to make that journey and be SOL because the pickens are slim so to speak.

If you see a white 4-door Toyota Tacoma sport out there then feel free to join us ( don't feel bad if she outshoots us, I've accepted it already)

Yeah, it looks like they dropped my map info after a while. I'll see what I can do and you post some directions. Then we can compare. :D

Your link to BING still works for me and was pretty much spot on. I walked the whole area before setting up shop just to make sure there wasnt anyone tending to the trees. We decided on #2 with the refridgerator and car. It is getting a bit overgrown, it took me a second to see old car hull when I was only 10 ft from it. I believe a machete will be added to my next gear list. I think if the Scotch Broom was trimmed back a bit there would be about 5-8 more yards of room to play in.

Also, is CP-4 an alternate parking spot? When I did the walk around it didnt seem to have any importance in regards to a shoooting location.

heres a little video of what the area looks like (and me trying to be high-speed)

<broken link removed>

Behind the cluster or small trees on the left is the remains of the car.

068.jpg

cwegga's map is absolutely correct! I was looking for a shotgun/trap spot and found a great one just to the south (across Belfair Tahuya Rd.) and east of the spot that has the picture posted. It was pretty clean when we got there Sunday around 12 and we left it even cleaner. Thanks for the great forum! You have to walk in about 600 yds or so from the road. Park at the gate on the south side of the road. If you're coming from Belfair, it's just past the 6 mile marker.

Jeff

cwegga's map is absolutely correct! I was looking for a shotgun/trap spot and found a great one just to the south (across Belfair Tahuya Rd.) and east of the spot that has the picture posted. It was pretty clean when we got there Sunday around 12 and we left it even cleaner. Thanks for the great forum! You have to walk in about 600 yds or so from the road. Park at the gate on the south side of the road. If you're coming from Belfair, it's just past the 6 mile marker.

Jeff

hey Jeff, We were also out there on Sunday, I believe I heard you guys from across the way. If you are at the spot I think you are then there should have been a large dead stick stuck in the trail as a marker where to shoot.

FYI for those who havnt been out yet, There is also a little more distance there compared to the primary spot if you want to do some rifle shooting/drills

Your link to BING still works for me and was pretty much spot on. I walked the whole area before setting up shop just to make sure there wasnt anyone tending to the trees. We decided on #2 with the refridgerator and car. It is getting a bit overgrown, it took me a second to see old car hull when I was only 10 ft from it. I believe a machete will be added to my next gear list. I think if the Scotch Broom was trimmed back a bit there would be about 5-8 more yards of room to play in.

Also, is CP-4 an alternate parking spot? When I did the walk around it didnt seem to have any importance in regards to a shoooting location.

heres a little video of what the area looks like (and me trying to be high-speed)

<broken link removed>

Behind the cluster or small trees on the left is the remains of the car.

Well there's a few things I'd like to answer here...

1. The Forest Springs spot is great and does have awesome mountain views on the way in. It has much more space if you want to shoot rifles but also has been trashed more. Since I pretty much only shoot pistols and .22 rifles the short range at the Belfair-Tahuya/Tahuya-Blacksmith intersection works great for me and the drive takes half the time.

2. The 4th point on the map is somewhere I have seen others shoot. I don't like it as much because it was basically parking on the side of the road and shooting away from it from a few yards away. I don't shoot in spots like that because it's frustrating to have the cops tell you to leave when you are being perfectly safe. Some people might want to shoot there though. It is less of a walk.

3. I've shot at the Fridge spot before but usually I hike farther down the road. Maybe twice as far as 3? Anyway there is a little more space there to practice at real grouse shooting ranges with my .22 rifle.:s0155:

4. As far as etiquette goes, if there's someone there I usually just move on. I'm not a fan of shooting with strangers. There are just too many unsafe situations that can happen, and that's before you even start considering crime etc. That said though if I was shooting and someone came up and wanted to join I'd probably just scoot over to make room and keep a weather eye on them for safety.

I'm glad to know we can share these spots and help people out. I'm always sad when I read a post and someone is looking for a outdoor shooting spot and willing to drive from Tacoma to Dewatto...we should have more opportunities local. I remember growing up and shooting in an active gravel pit when my dad wanted to sight in his rifle. We just drove in and talked to the people in the shack and they let us use an empty part of the pit. I hate how everything is closed to shooting now.

I'm glad to know we can share these spots and help people out. I'm always sad when I read a post and someone is looking for a outdoor shooting spot and willing to drive from Tacoma to Dewatto...we should have more opportunities local. I remember growing up and shooting in an active gravel pit when my dad wanted to sight in his rifle. We just drove in and talked to the people in the shack and they let us use an empty part of the pit. I hate how everything is closed to shooting now.

I wish the powers-that-be understood that the more places are closed, the more "tresspassing" and "trash" shooting increases. That being said, it's on all of us to work hard to keep the places that we do find still open, as clean as we can so that they STAY open.

That's the nice thing about sharing our "secret spots" here. I'd dare say that the more people from here that know of these spots the better because as a group we tend to pick up after ourselves and that is a GOOD thing. :s0155:

TRD1911 - yeah, that was us! Did it sound like 2 full cases of 12 gauge? We had 15 high schoolers from our church, many of whom had never shot before, a couple throwers and some of us 'responsible adults'. We gave them all a little class on the 4 rules of gun safety and cleaned up real well and talked about our responsibility for public lands. Had a great day. There is enough room over there on the south side of the road for some rifle work, but you'd have to be careful with the backstop. I'll definitely go back.

Has anyone thought about shooting at Range 15 at Ft. Lewis? Its open to the general public and only costs $5 per person which includes a target. There is a covered pistol range (15 & 25 yards) and a covered rifle range (50 to 300 yards). You are required to register your weapons with the Adventure Center unless you reside on Ft. Lewis or McChord, then you must register with the Provost Marshal.
I talked with the Provost Marshal & the Adventure center and unless you have a post access sticker it is best if you drive around and enter thru the East Gate Road off hwy 507. Questions? just let me know.

I'm heading out to the Dewatto location some time between now and Wednesday (June 30th) if anyone wants to come with. Possibly accompanied by my girlfriend and another friend but probably just solo since it's during the work week. Send a PM if want to join.

I'm down for hitting any semi-local shooting area. I have knocked around the Belfair area a bit, and have recently discovered the Capitol Forest gravel pit. If anyone would like to get together for weekend, or even Friday shoots... feel free to PM or what not.

Hey Point (or any other cool member for that matter) when you find something and want a shooting partner sometime Pm me and I'll bring some toys. I have heard Greenwater but not been there yet. Heard its hit and miss though. Be nice to find a good outdoor shooting area so let me know guys! I have youngens at home so it would have to be sundays.

I'm a Sunday shooter so when I go next (likely my place near Mason Lake) I'll shoot you a PM and see if you're up to it.

Not more than about 50 yards shooting distance, but when you just want to bang away with pistols and some M44's it's great!
malem2us(AT)wavecable.com

Later!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews