JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought that it was interesting that many cartridges have very
similar but important differences in length. In this picture are
four similar cartridges: from left to right: 9mm lugar, 9mm Makarov, 380 and S&W 38
Of course the S&W 38 is a rimmed cartridge and the others are not, but the similarities
are interesting. I hope that the picture is clear enough to actually see the differences.
IMG_2120[1].JPG

Often I'll scrounge up some spent brass from the range I belong to.

I have to spend time making sure that I separate the 380 from the 9mm - which isn't too hard.

But the 9mm Makarov brass HAS slipped through the cracks AND ended up in my 9mm reloading run on my press.

I've even shot a few accidentally - not catching that they were Makarov and not Luger brass. They did shoot and I didn't experience any problems. Still, after the first experience realizing I had loaded and shot some Makarov brass, I am MUCH more diligent in examining any range pickup brass.

Ah - the joys of hand loading.

TWYLALTR

Cheers

My Ruger P89 in 9x21 IMI I thought was sort of funny, knowing the silly laws like no military 9mm NATO ammo to citizens in many areas like SA and parts of the EU, so they just use a 9mm with a longer case, bullet set back further into the case. Interesting that the 9mm Makarov is actually 9.2mm (.365") bullet not a "normal" .355" bullet used like in the 9mm luger loads. I use .380 auto (9x17) too, but can be spendy.

I reload for all four of these calibers. I use the same die set for both the 9mm Makarov & .380 Enfield (aka .38/200, .38 S&W) just switch shellholders.

The 9mm Makarov (9x18) & 9mm Luger (9x19) have the same size case head, but use different diameter projectiles (.363" v. .355") as the former is straight-sided whereas the Luger is tapered, so the Luger cases can be trimmed & resized to work in a 9mm Makarov. The .380 ACP (9x17) has a smaller case head.

Last Edited:
Often I'll scrounge up some spent brass from the range I belong to.

I have to spend time making sure that I separate the 380 from the 9mm - which isn't too hard.

But the 9mm Makarov brass HAS slipped through the cracks AND ended up in my 9mm reloading run on my press.

I've even shot a few accidentally - not catching that they were Makarov and not Luger brass. They did shoot and I didn't experience any problems. Still, after the first experience realizing I had loaded and shot some Makarov brass, I am MUCH more diligent in examining any range pickup brass.

Ah - the joys of hand loading.

TWYLALTR

Cheers
If I'm not diligent when sorting my 9mm Luger brass that I pick up, or when processing brass I acquire from others, I have gotten both 380 (which is easier to distinguish) and 9mm makarov that slipped through when decapping and tumbling the brass. The few that slip through become evident by causing trouble when dropping out of the case feeder and/or seating bullets on the Dillon 650.

When visually inspecting carefully, you can pick out either when mixed into 9mm Luger, but they can mix in there if I'm not as diligent.

On another note, the 38 super is an interesting cartridge and was introduced
before the 9mm luger cartridge. The length of the 38 super is 1.28 inch (22.75mm)
whereas the 9 mm luger is .754 inch (19.15mm) and the 9mm Markov is .713 inch (18,10mm).
Rather of a shame that the 38 super never caught on with the general public.

IMG_2122[1].JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads